Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2022, 19:33   #1
BHPian

2022 Skoda Kushaq & VW Taigun lose electric folding mirrors

I got a confirmation from the local Skoda dealer that, as with the Taigun, the 2022 lot of Kushaq also will miss the Electrically Adjustable ORVMs due to the ongoing chip shortage. There's apparently a circular that conveys this from Skoda.

But when asked about what other modifications (additions or deletions) were expected in the 2022 lot, he said there was no word on that yet. He also added that the new lot may not get to the showrooms before early Feb.
RPM1706 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 14:27   #2
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1706 View Post
I got a confirmation from the local Skoda dealer that, as with the Taigun, the 2022 lot of Kushaq also will miss the Electrically Adjustable ORVMs due to the ongoing chip shortage. There's apparently a circular that conveys this from Skoda.
This is only true for 1.0L engines. For 1.5 this wouldn’t be true as far as I know from the dealers.
Mickey1986 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 15:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey1986 View Post
This is only true for 1.0L engines. For 1.5 this wouldn’t be true as far as I know from the dealers.
While this is a relief for potential 1.5 DSG owners like me, it is just shoddy planning by skoda if this information is true.
I'll be interested in knowing if the deleted features can be retrofitted once semiconductors are back in stock.
CeeBeeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 16:03   #4

Quote:
Yes its only with the Ambition trims (thats why it didnt have any price increase in 2022). Hence only on 1.0
apputim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 16:24   #5
BHPian

^ Does that mean 1.0 Style will not have any deletions? I spoke to the SA from EVM Skoda Kochi, and when asked whether there are any feature removals, he meantioned that Auto Folding ORVM _might_ be removed, but he doesn't have the full details yet apparently. I asked whether it can be retrofited but he said as of now there is no such accessory available. Asked me to wait until the 2022 models start arriving, as production for 2022 models has just started in the factory.
varkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 17:41   #6
BHPian

It's disappointing that improvements/fixes that are not dependent on chips are, seemingly, not happening in the 2022 (at least the early 2022 ones) lot.

There was rumour of the A/c vents, roof liner etc. getting sorted out. But all that's coming out is this news of a feature (the electrically foldable ORVM on the Ambition, mercifully!) getting dropped.

If that's so, don't see any real merit in waiting for the 2022 batch that comes with a price hike and that too, only in February. If there is a discount that's possible on units from the 2021 batch that's unsold, it's worth considering.
RPM1706 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 18:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
^ Does that mean 1.0 Style will not have any deletions? I spoke to the SA from EVM Skoda Kochi, and when asked whether there are any feature removals, he meantioned that Auto Folding ORVM _might_ be removed, but he doesn't have the full details yet apparently. I asked whether it can be retrofited but he said as of now there is no such accessory available. Asked me to wait until the 2022 models start arriving, as production for 2022 models has just started in the factory.
I am planned to buy a 1.5 DSG (6AB), waiting since 01-Nov, and I wanted confirmation from my SA on this. This is what I have been given to understand. Best will be to reconfirm with the dealer.
apputim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 23:17   #8

I don't think that Skoda or any other manufacturer will remove such a feature (Electrically Adjustable OVRMs) from a car in the north of 14-15L (on-road). I am not sure how come chip shortage continues to haunt every manufacturer (car or no car) though economic activities have returned to normalcy a long ago. Is the 2020 covid shutdown backlog so high that it's not getting cleared? I really doubt that.

No manufacture should believe that they could cut the feature(s) and still continue to command a premium. I think the story to cut feature(s) is just a tactic to clear the 2021 inventory. I have decided to wait for the 2022 model and will wait for some more time (till Jan end) for Kushaq to become available. Post that I will consider other options.
Old 18th January 2022, 22:58   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1706 View Post
Quote:
And its confirmed, it says "Manually foldable external mirrors - body coloured" for all variants now!

2022 Skoda Kushaq & VW Taigun lose electric folding mirrors-screenshot-20220118-10.54.52-pm.png

I just had a test drive today from EVM Skoda, Kochi and even when asked repeatedly, the SA was like its not confirmed and hinted that its probably just the "remote auto folding" feature that might be removed. Kept on saying that they have not got any official confirmation from Skoda and can be confirmed only once the vehicle from the 2022 batch arrives.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kushaq-Brochure-Jan-18-2022.pdf (4.31 MB, 658 views)

Last edited by varkey : 18th January 2022 at 23:01.
varkey is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 23:13   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
And its confirmed, it says "Manually foldable external mirrors - body coloured" for all variants now!
Disgusting update. Why do that for the entire range of variants if there was just a shortage? And if there is really a shortage, then why not ask the owners if they could wait and then get a swap later free of cost? Whatever Skoda and VW speak about their localisation and India 2.0, it is not favoring the customers in any manner I feel. Arent other manufacturers able to offer this feature? A big downer.
audioholic is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 07:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Disgusting update. Why do that for the entire range of variants if there was just a shortage? And if there is really a shortage, then why not ask the owners if they could wait and then get a swap later free of cost? Whatever Skoda and VW speak about their localisation and India 2.0, it is not favoring the customers in any manner I feel. Arent other manufacturers able to offer this feature? A big downer.
Happened with the Taigun as well. I'm now looking at getting a Tata harrier instead. The VAG twins are missing too many comfort features for my liking now.
sid3091 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 07:50   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Whatever Skoda and VW speak about their localisation and India 2.0, it is not favoring the customers in any manner I feel. Arent other manufacturers able to offer this feature? A big downer.
I feel VAG is cutting features on the twins so as to utilize the chips on the Slavia/Virtus. They can't afford to mess up feature distribution at launch for these two upcoming products, whereas people (outside of the forum) generally won't look into feature deletions till they take delivery.

Bad move though - this is a basic feature for India IMHO with our narrow roads and heavy traffic!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 08:33   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite disappointing. The chip shortage clearly is making life so much tougher for potential car buyers today. No discounts, feature deletions, insane waiting periods. All I can do is thank my stars that I just bought a new car in February last year - and don’t plan to shop for another one for 3-4 more years (by which time hopefully the auto industry would have re learnt how to do production planning).
Hayek is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 08:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Disgusting update.
Ridiculous, IMO any car being driven in our cities needs to have power windows on the door(credits to MSIL for having to mention this in 2022), and electrically foldable RVMs. It should be a part of the basic kit and available from base + 2 at least.

Still find it hard to believe that Skoda did this, perhaps this is also a trait of India 2.0 ?
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 09:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Ridiculous, IMO any car being driven in our cities needs to have power windows on the door(credits to MSIL for having to mention this in 2022), and electrically foldable RVMs. It should be a part of the basic kit and available from base + 2 at least.

Still find it hard to believe that Skoda did this, perhaps this is also a trait of India 2.0 ?
The taigun dealer i spoke to, said that the mirrors will fold at the push of a button, but won't close/open automatically when you lock or unlock the car with the key. It's something that's happened because of the chip shortage.
sid3091 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks