Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2022, 15:44   #31

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBeeR View Post
I guess there are a lot of people on the fence right now due to lack of communication by Skoda and this unreasonable way of feature deletion + price increase.
In my case, I need my car by March as this will be my first car and I can't wait for any longer than I've already did.

I wish Skoda clears this up soon. This should be part of their official communication, rather than us finding this out by ourselves. Skoda is turning us all into some kind of automotive detectives.

Thank you. I didn't know this information. If possible, I'll pop into a showroom near my home and get first hand info about the mirrors for this group.
By the looks of it, the ORVM feature deletion will be in MY2022 cars. It will be very lucky to get a MY2022 car on display right away (assuming dispatches will have happened of late).

The dealers / SAs are all at sea. I was first given to understand that this deletion was only for Ambition. I had to clarify and share resources from this forum to explain what is changing.
apputim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 16:09   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ02 View Post
There is an option by rotating the knob. That is how it works in Vento/polo.
As a Vento Highline owner I can confidently say that the electronic fold is controlled through the mirror adjustment knob by turning it to 12 o'clock position. But, this is exactly what has been deleted in MY22 version of Kushaq and Taigun. Seems people are confused between electronic folding mirrors and auto fold/unfold on lock/unlock which is an added feature never offered in Vento/Polo/Rapid. Kushaq/Taigun will have none of these features. You'll have to fold them by hand.

Last edited by nitkel : 21st January 2022 at 16:15.
nitkel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 16:32   #33
BHPian

I think the blunder here is removing auto-fold from Style variant also. Instead of expecting a Monte Carlo variant with added features, here are some prospective buyers worried about losing features. Ideally, all test drive vehicles and cars in the showroom must be replaced with the most recent variant such that all buyers and especially those who do not undertake a PDI, are not stranded with a feature(s) less car.

I don't get the logic behind focusing on Slavia and cutting short on Kushaq. After almost a year this car started building some presence in market/road. Instead of developing/enhancing the product further, Skoda did this.
kaustubhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 18:15   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubhp View Post
I think the blunder here is removing auto-fold from Style variant also. Instead of expecting a Monte Carlo variant with added features, here are some prospective buyers worried about losing features. Ideally, all test drive vehicles and cars in the showroom must be replaced with the most recent variant such that all buyers and especially those who do not undertake a PDI, are not stranded with a feature(s) less car.

I don't get the logic behind focusing on Slavia and cutting short on Kushaq. After almost a year this car started building some presence in market/road. Instead of developing/enhancing the product further, Skoda did this.
Totally agreed. It seems they are all rushing to gear up for the launch of their new bride and leaving the old one on the cliff hanger. Somewhere someone isn't doing a good ground level reporting to the top Management or the management is turning a blind eye deliberately..
Old 21st January 2022, 22:57   #35

Quote:
I wish Skoda clears this up soon. This should be part of their official communication, rather than us finding this out by ourselves. Skoda is turning us all into some kind of automotive detectives.
I had gone for PDI for my 1.5DSG for MY2022 model. ORVMs are not electrically fold-able(from inside the cabin also).
It's disappointing and even SA said the same.
I did not see much improvement in roof liner and AC vents also.
Although disappointed , I am going ahead with the booking.
sid2017 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 23:30   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitkel View Post
Seems people are confused between electronic folding mirrors and auto fold/unfold on lock/unlock which is an added feature never offered in Vento/Polo/Rapid. Kushaq/Taigun will have none of these features. You'll have to fold them by hand.
Wow. I actually thought by removing auto fold it only meant the autofold was removed and the electric fold was retained.

Does this mean there is no electric mirror adjustment also and you have to use some manual knob last found in some early 2000s car?

I can't believe a simple electric fold uses some advanced chips that the shortage is hitting even such basic features.
anandhsub is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 23:34   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Does this mean there is no electric mirror adjustment also and you have to use some manual knob last found in some early 2000s car?
Electric mirror adjustment is present in MY2022 Kushaq. I explicitly checked that
sid2017 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 23:34   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid2017 View Post
I had gone for PDI for my 1.5DSG for MY2022 model. ORVMs are not electrically fold-able(from inside the cabin also).
Are 2022 batch Kushaq already out I got to know from SA just about y'day that Kushaq production has commenced and they shall get 2022 make by Feb first week.

Well, to deliver a 15L+ car with manually folder OVRMs, no words to explain my disappointment. I'm just wondering if reported Kushaq sales numbers are much more than Skoda's own expectation? Were they not even expecting to sell these many numbers (average ~2K/month)? What was their planning? Are the other manufacturers doing the same? If not then how come Hyundais or Suzukis/Marutis running the show with a much larger sales number. I just hope that Skoda in its India 2.0 is not putting India still second in their priority over other markets.
ladha.deepak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 00:30   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
I can't believe a simple electric fold uses some advanced chips that the shortage is hitting even such basic features.
It's just a microchip which switches the mechanism on/off. Nothing fancy but it seems the ORVM supplier has them in shortfall, and subsequently the new car owners suffer. VAG should have offered a FOC retrofit for owners or a discount to compensate for deleting a very useful feature! But then, they were never known for being generous even in good times!
nitkel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 02:17   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid2017 View Post
Thank you for the update. Does the SA or service manager know if it can be retrofitted at a later time?
Old 22nd January 2022, 09:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the update. Does the SA or service manager know if it can be retrofitted at a later time?
Even if the SA says it can be retrofitted, what is the guarantee that they will actually do it when the chips are available? Knowing VW, they will not do it saying it will impact warranty, blah blah.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd January 2022 at 18:45. Reason: As requested
Old 22nd January 2022, 09:34   #42
BHPian

It is very disappointing if ORVM's are not electrically foldable from inside the car as well. That would make it a early 2000's car where you have to roll down the mirror to fold the ORVM's or have that ugly toggle stick to adjust/fold the mirrors.

Coming from a Vento, I had set my heart on Kushaq or a Taigun, but stripping of this feature would change that, especially with wife. Electrically foldable ORVM's at a touch of a button is much needed feature, especially when driving in narrow lanes or trying to park between two cars in a narrow spot. She will absolutely not want to go ahead with these cars now if the ORVM's are not electrically foldable.

We might have to reconsider going with a Creta or a Seltos now and will check these cars out again given their longish waiting periods, till we get a clarity about Taigun or Kushaq. Needless to say this is an absolute blunder by Skoda, removing Auto Fold ORVM's even in the top model. The best way round would have been to delay the launch of Slavia till production issues are sorted out rather than produce half-baked Kushaq for upwards of 20 Lacs. Still hoping that ORVM's are at least electrically foldable like in the Vento, else I really do not see how someone buying top variants will feel about this.
Ays7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 10:21   #43
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

The body control module (BCM) , alongwith any of it's underlings (window control module, lock control module, mirror control module, etc....) is responsible for handling all of the cars non-engine related features/tasks.
This is a powerful microcontroller (in fact, almost a computer) on a PCB, with zillions of pins, connectors and wires going-in/coming-out. The user control buttons, various sensors and various actuators (mostly stepper motors) installed at various locations in the car send info and receive commands from this BCM.
This BCM hardware and it's software doesn't change from one variant of the car to the other. It will be too much of a cost disadvantage and validation headache, to carry different hardware for different variants of a car model. Most of the time, different models (across market segments, even) within a company can share the same BCM. The 'chip' are the things on the PCB, out of which the main one is the microcontroller.

Q : So how are different variants possible ?
Simple sofware settings or "configured flags" at the time of installation of the thing within a car.

Q : So where does cost saving come from , for lower variants of a model ?
A : The number of wires in the wiring loom, the number of sensors and actuators reduces, in base and mid variants, compared to the top variant of the car. Correspondingly the BCM software is modified so that it 'knows' which car it is sitting in and which of the features to consider 'valid' and which of them to consider 'dummy/invalid' so that no errors pop up.

Hence, the absence of electric-window-folding is not because of 'chip shortage' (that's just an excuse that every shortcoming can now be swept under) , it's clear cost-cutting.

Last edited by venkyhere : 22nd January 2022 at 10:22.
venkyhere is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 11:42   #44
BHPian

I have cancelled my Kushaq booking with a heart full of disappointment. After my test drive, I was very excited about owning the Kushaq. I specifically waited for the 2022 model since it made sense to wait for it rather than purchase a Dec 21 model. While I'm okay with a slight price increase, little did I (or any potential future customers) realise that we'll be punished this way.
I can live without the panoramic sunroof, without a digital cluster without 360 degree cameras and e-brakes, but electric folding mirrors are required almost daily. I can't make sense out of removing that instead of deleting the wireless charger (a la Tata Safari).
The Kushaq was sitting in a sweet spot for me and now my options have dwindled down to a Jeep Compass or.l Hyundai Tucson, both of which cost several lakhs more.
CeeBeeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 12:00   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I have cancelled my Kushaq booking with a heart full of disappointment. After my test drive, I was very excited about owning the Kushaq. I specifically waited for the 2022 model since it made sense to wait for it rather than purchase a Dec 21 model. While I'm okay with a slight price increase, little did I (or any potential future customers) realise that we'll be punished this way.
I am exactly in the same spot as you are. I needed a car by end of April, and had my heart set on 1.5 DSG. Checked out the car and loved it and was ok with a few missing features. But this manual ORVM's would be too much of a compromise for a car that I plan to keep for 5 years at the very least.

With a heavy heart, I will once again reconsider Creta Turbo Petrol DCT or Seltos turbo petrol DCT and live with them. I really do not want to stretch my budget for a Compass or a Top variant of Hector, and would rather play in the 21L-22L on road range for now.

I really will be OK even if the mirrors are electrically foldable like in a Vento, that is something I can live with as a suitable compromise. But folding the mirrors manually is really out of question.
Ays7 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed