Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2022, 12:23   #46
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBeeR View Post
The Kushaq was sitting in a sweet spot for me and now my options have dwindled down to a Jeep Compass or.l Hyundai Tucson, both of which cost several lakhs more.
I'm in the same boat here. The compass is now my first choice, but that means waiting for 6-10 months more while I save up for a down payment. Here's hoping for a fully loaded monte carlo variant soon.
sid3091 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 12:46   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ays7 View Post
With a heavy heart, I will once again reconsider Creta Turbo Petrol DCT or Seltos turbo petrol DCT and live with them. I really do not want to stretch my budget for a Compass or a Top variant of Hector, and would rather play in the 21L-22L on road range for now.
Creta and Seltos are incredibly VFM when compared to the Kushaq, but safety(or at least presumed safety) is an important parameter for me, that's why I'm considering a Tucson even though the Creta has more usable features.
As I'm single and my family already has a Honda City, I would be even okay in getting a Sonet GTX+ if I can somehow prepare myself to go for a less structurally sound vehicle. I can at least end up saving a lot of money that way and probably get a better one couple of years down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
I'm in the same boat here. The compass is now my first choice, but that means waiting for 6-10 months more while I save up for a down payment. Here's hoping for a fully loaded monte carlo variant soon.
The sad reality is that a couple of weeks ago we thought the Monte Carlo would come with panoramic sunroof, a digital cluster and some good interiors. Now, it seems that the most important feature in the Monte Carlo would be the electrically foldable mirrors.
Also, with the semiconductor shortage and the focus on Slavia, I don't think we'll get a Monte Carlo till Q3.
CeeBeeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 16:15   #48
BHPian

Quote:
I have cancelled my Kushaq booking with a heart full of disappointment.
If I were in your shoes, would have done the same. Can empathize with you. A 20 lakh car without this is simply not done! If I were in the market today, would have gone back to Seltos - a brand I had moved on from after their abysmal safety rating.

Have been following this topic for a while and this decision of Skoda/VW has left me amused as well as stunned.

In India, in narrow streets & extreme traffic this becomes a must have. Also, in manually foldable ORVMs, if you start the car without unfolding it, you have to park later, reach out and then push open the mirror. It's a huge hassle. For a brand that advertises itself as 'Chose what matters!', Kushaq has unfortunately ended up deleting a feature that really, really matters.

Another key missing feature in Kushaq for me is electronically adjustable seats. For cars which are driven by multiple people, it is a huge inconvenience.
abhishek_hch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 16:31   #49

Just got off the phone with the SM's of skoda and VW showrooms (have booked a Taigun GT DSG earlier this month) and confirmed that 2022 manufactured Kushaq and Taigun both will not have electrically foldable ORVMs (hence obviously no auto fold feature). Thinking of cancelling the booking and checking if Skoda showroom has a 2021 manufactured Kushaq available.
manasmahajan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 17:51   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_hch View Post
In India, in narrow streets & extreme traffic this becomes a must have. Also, in manually foldable ORVMs, if you start the car without unfolding it, you have to park later, reach out and then push open the mirror. It's a huge hassle. For a brand that advertises itself as 'Chose what matters!', Kushaq has unfortunately ended up deleting a feature that really, really matters.
This vehicle is not that big (about as wide as a premium hatch) , I doubt if you will find yourself in a situation of that sort where you would miss it. Besides the localites and even the driver from the opposite side would happily fold your powered mirror as you watch in absolute horror.

You really should not start moving before adjusting the mirrors by the way, that would be a rookie mistake.

This car is favoured by those who like VAG cars and is willing to settle for less in exchange for a more engaging driving experience. An auto fold mirror isn't a deal breaker in my opinion.
Kosfactor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 18:28   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

This car is favoured by those who like VAG cars and is willing to settle for less in exchange for a more engaging driving experience. An auto fold mirror isn't a deal breaker in my opinion.
With the lack of a panoramic sunroof, powered driving seat, Digital instrument cluster, 360 degree camera, I believe most prospective buyers (including myself) were already willing to settle for a LOT less. This latest omission is the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
sid3091 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 18:55   #52
BHPian

Quote:

Yes. Society parking spots have narrow driveways, also if I venture into the city market space I usually click the fold button. It is an incredibly useful feature and the Skoda/VW teams are delusional if they think people will still be convinced to buy the Kushaq.

Quote:
I am one of those people who like the german driving experience. When the Kushaq was launched, I religiously followed this thread and the only reason I didn't already buy it right away was because I was waiting for the BH registration.
If the T-Roc were available right now, I would buy it without a second thought.
It is unfair to say that people who are cancelling the Kushaq are willing to sacrifice driving experience just for some features. An electrically foldable mirror(not just auto fold) is a deal breaker for me.
I wonder what people would say if Skoda replaces power windows with the manual window gear. Should I be happy that Skoda is teaching me Miyagi-Do and helping me learn Karate? I'm buying a 22L car, not a railway pump trolley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid3091 View Post
With the lack of a panoramic sunroof, powered driving seat, Digital instrument cluster, 360 degree camera, I believe most prospective buyers (including myself) were already willing to settle for a LOT less. This latest omission is the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
True, I also ignored all reports of niggles and reports of a cheaper build because I believed that the Kushaq was an almost complete car which fit all my requirements.
CeeBeeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 19:31   #53
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
An auto fold mirror isn't a deal breaker in my opinion.
+1
However, seems like people like you and me are dinosaurs. Looking at some of the comments, I feel 'driving a car' means something totally different today.

If the manual "electric fold/unfold ORVM" button is available, and just the auto-fold/unfold is omitted, this could be because of some pin availability restriction to wire it up to the BCM. If the manual folding button is directly connected to the ORVMs (sending power to the stepper motors that 'fold' the ORVM, without informing/involving the BCM) , then probably 1 pin on the BCM's PCB (which can be used for some other purpose) and 1 pair of wires are saved. Because when we lock/unlock the car, the lock/unlock signal travels wirelessly to the BCM from the keyfob, the BCM then sends power pulses to the stepper motors present in the door lock and also the indicators. In case of auto-fold-unfold ORVM is present as a feature when lock/unlock pressed, the BCM also needs to send power pulses to the 'folding' stepper motors (different from the mirror angle adjusting motors) in the ORVMs. Probably VAG team decided to save one PCB pin that was erstwhile doing this job and re-purpose it for something else. Then say "chip shortage" and convince people that this has something to do with that.

Last edited by venkyhere : 22nd January 2022 at 19:45.
venkyhere is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 22:36   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
+1
However, seems like people like you and me are dinosaurs. Looking at some of the comments, I feel 'driving a car' means something totally different today.

If the manual "electric fold/unfold ORVM" button is available, and just the auto-fold/unfold is omitted, this could be because of some pin availability restriction to wire it up to the BCM.

Probably VAG team decided to save one PCB pin that was erstwhile doing this job and re-purpose it for something else. Then say "chip shortage" and convince people that this has something to do with that.
I think it's not just auto fold that is removed. They have removed complete electric folding mirrors which is not programming or one pin. It's the entire motor and circuit to fold the mirror electronically. You have to fold them by hand now.
Vid6639 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 23:27   #55
BHPian

Quote:
This vehicle is not that big (about as wide as a premium hatch) , I doubt if you will find yourself in a situation of that sort where you would miss it. Besides the localites and even the driver from the opposite side would happily fold your powered mirror as you watch in absolute horror.

You really should not start moving before adjusting the mirrors by the way, that would be a rookie mistake.

I can think of many situations where this feature is helpful e.g. when you just want to fold the mirror while parking so that no one brushes past.

Perhaps I am a rookie, happy to be one forever

Well, for some who like an engaging driving experience, it is not a deal breaker. For some who like an engaging driving experience, it is a deal breaker. I just can't bring my head around to a 15 lac plus car having a manual fold mirror. Never will be able to.

I guess Skoda is going to lose quite a few bookings and prospective customers to this, there's ample evidence on this thread and otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It's the entire motor and circuit to fold the mirror electronically.
Killing two birds with the same stone (cost & chip shortage) or perhaps killing the real bird (cost) under the garb of another (chip shortage). I guess sacrificing this feature would have brought the most cost benefit to Skoda and that's why they did so, instead of many other features that they could have sacrificed.
abhishek_hch is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 23:45   #56
BHPian

Quote:
I guess sacrificing this feature would have brought the most cost benefit to Skoda and that's why they did so, instead of many other features that they could have sacrificed.
Perhaps, but just curious what would be the approximate cost savings for removing this feature though? I am honestly not seeing how the removal of this feature results in net savings considering the potential drop in sales. If they had left the feature at least in the top variants I'm sure people (including myself) wouldn't be this pissed.

Or if they had offered to retrofit the car with the electrically foldable ORVMs couple of months down the line (if at all the semiconductor situation is the real reason), I don't think I'd have minded.
varkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 00:19   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, for some who like an engaging driving experience, it is not a deal breaker. For some who like an engaging driving experience, it is a deal breaker. I just can't bring my head around to a 15 lac plus car having a manual fold mirror. Never will be able to.

I assure you there are 20+L OTR vehicles without power fold mirrors in certain trims, it's not considered essential like power steering.

Quote:
If the T-Roc were available right now, I would buy it without a second thought.
Would you still buy a T-Roc or Karoq if it was missing a power folding mirror?
Old 23rd January 2022, 02:03   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I can think of many situations where this feature is helpful e.g. when you just want to fold the mirror while parking so that no one brushes past.

Perhaps I am a rookie, happy to be one forever

I guess Skoda is going to lose quite a few bookings and prospective customers to this, there's ample evidence on this thread and otherwise.

Killing two birds with the same stone (cost & chip shortage) or perhaps killing the real bird (cost) under the garb of another (chip shortage). I guess sacrificing this feature would have brought the most cost benefit to Skoda and that's why they did so, instead of many other features that they could have sacrificed.
I work for a mobility company and trust me, the kind of stuff we have removed from our product because of this chip shortage. All that complex motor assembly needs a microcontroller to function. Even 1 missing component on that controller and the entire system is useless.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th January 2022 at 23:44. Reason: Toning down
amey027 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 02:18   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amey027 View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about. I work for a mobility company and trust me, the kind of stuff we have removed from our product because of this chip shortage. All that complex motor assembly needs a microcontroller to function, it doesn't magically operate by itself. Even 1 missing component on that controller and the entire system is useless.
Why should someone pay same price for a stripped off version of a car?
Turbojet is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 02:30   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amey027 View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about. I work for a mobility company and trust me, the kind of stuff we have removed from our product because of this chip shortage. All that complex motor assembly needs a microcontroller to function, it doesn't magically operate by itself. Even 1 missing component on that controller and the entire system is useless.
The electronically folding ORVMs are not the only ones using chips I believe. The entire electronic architecture of the car which includes the BCM, ECM, CAN gateway modules, infotainment system and the likes use these. Why is it that a minor feature like this has been deleted claiming it's due to chip shortage when practically all the components I listed above use chips is the question that I am trying to find an answer to.

Secondly, I believe the entire folding feature itself has been deleted. Many people on this thread think there is still an option to rotate the ORVM control knob and retract them. There isn't based on what someone has posted on this thread. You have to "push" the mirrors in by hand manually.
vishy76 is online now   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks