Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2022, 13:11   #91
BHPian

Re: 2022 Skoda Kushaq & VW Taigun lose electric folding mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Things like sunroof, android HU, multi-speaker sound system, rear AC vents etc etc have been seen in this forum, to be pivotal points on which members have decided to buy/not-buy some car models. However, seeing that electric-folding mirrors is as pivotal in deciding yes/no is catching some of us members by surprise. That's all.
I think this is one such feature where it doesn't come even into consideration set when it is already present and after a crossing a certain price point it is considered as implicit/ default offering. If kushaq never had auto/ electric fold ORVMs then the situation could have been very different. IMO, most prospective customers wouldn't have cancelled bookings to get this feature as stock, let's say, by paying 20 k more.

Ford did the similar thing by removing Android auto even in top variants and I was under the same dilemma when considering to book Freestyle or Ecosport. How much ever I tried convincing my self that driving dynamics and other features matter, the fact that Ford is doing it for no apparent reason and not being customer centric has made me look elsewhere. I believe Skoda and VAG have brought the same book.
JReacher13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 13:58   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
Had sent a note to Zac Hollis the other day expressing my disappointment and received this response today. Had shared a link to this thread as well.

Attachment 2264004
It seems like Skoda is getting greedy with initial success, or there are double agents from other manufacturers inside Skoda.

While I can understand it saves a lot of money for Skoda, for customers, this is going back to 2009 when only luxury vehicles had this. People are used to it now, and at this price point, it causes more damage by removing it than not having it in the first place.
naikameya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 14:02   #93

One question has been nagging me for some time now in this thread.

Some people have said, "if the driving pleasure was supra-immense, i would make a compromise on EORVM but these vehicles are not that." (I paraphrase of course)

Some others have said, "at this price point (or above), this feature is now as good as mandatory." (again, i paraphrase)

My question to the second set of people is what would they say if Mini said 'EOVRM is not standard in our range' or if Porsche said 'we will not give driver safety assists as standard'?

The first group seems to be saying that 'there is a threshold beyond which it will compromise on creature comforts'. The second set seems to not be willing to compromise irrespective of other 'variables'. Is that not a rather hard stance to take? As things change in the world, offerings will change or vary and as consumers we need to decide our priorities?

Not for a moment am I taking away from what appears to be VAG's underhanded way of hiding this issue. I am genuinely curious to understand how flexible (if at all) we are or can be, so happy to stand corrected if I have misunderstood the position of the second set.

Cheers,
Old 25th January 2022, 14:13   #94
BHPian

About 5 years ago when I was looking for an entry level automatic car, I had not considered the Kwid for the reason that it did not have internally adjustable mirrors and almost went for an Alto. Then thankfully I did test it out more by chance and happened to pick it over the Alto. Same way, if I were in the market, I would possibly ignore the lack of electrically foldable mirror if the interiors are not 'showy' and the ride and handling betters the competition, by a perceivable margin.

But, on the face of it, any car beyond A segment without electrically foldable mirror is a disaster. My current drive Ameo has it along with auto one touch up and down windows. How am I to feel an upgrade when buying an higher priced car without those features? Not even in the used car market I would feel comfortable picking such a model.
theabstractmind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 17:03   #95
BHPian

There might be people here who have not used to feature in crowded lanes (driving/parking). I have it on my 2020 Rapid and it is a boon when the time comes.

By now, have used it approx. 50 times or more. I believe some people might even be daily/frequent users. I agree with the view that it is almost like power windows for today.
dsr001 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 18:44   #96
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
This car is favoured by those who like VAG cars and is willing to settle for less in exchange for a more engaging driving experience. An auto fold mirror isn't a deal breaker in my opinion.
I have been the owner of 2 cars from VW and am seriously considering exchanging my Polo GT for a new Taigun. This new development ( ?deterioration) makes me seriously reconsider that. Having been used to electrically folding mirrors on my Polo and autofold mirrors on my Ford Ecosport, I would definitely not like to go back to manual fold mirrors.
sunsetorange is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 19:23   #97
BHPian

People would have been bitter when price increases by 10-20k, but that would be it. They wouldn't have felt shortchanged.

This is nasty surprise for everyone, because nobody expects cost-cutting in some features, like cabin and front map lights. Can you live with single cabin light? you can. But does it improve your experience in the car? No.

---

Why would you need this feature?
- While parking on side of the narrow road
- 2 vehicles passing a narrow road
- By closing mirrors, you can park your car bit more near to a wall

What to do if this feature isn't there?
- Go out of vehicle and fold the mirror
- Roll down window and fold the mirror

Can you live without this feature?
Yes, you absolutely can.

You can also live without key-less entry, sunroof, cruise control, height-adjustable seats, adjustable steering, a sub-woofer, etc. Doesn't mean that you should.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 19:59   #98
BHPian

This is very absurd and honestly makes me doubt Skoda's future in India. The brand already has DSG horror stories along with an image of high upkeep and poor reliability brand. On top of all this, they come with an overpriced car and start deleting features in the name of chip shortage. Jack Hollis and Skoda brand, in general, are just trying to shove the cost-cutting measures under the rug of chip shortage. TBH these European brands and there we know what's better for you attitude is going to cost them their Indian business for sure. On top of that with so much money already invested in the India 2.0 plan and losing customers to such tomfoolery, I am very much confident that the VAG days are numbered in India.

I so wished these brands instead of making such a dumbfounded move should start offering optional packages. And for heaven's sake just put the sunroof in the optional features list and club must-have in another and see who goes for that damn sunroof. This solves a handful of problems the base price of the car is down and people can choose whatever they need instead of requiring to cough up nearly 20 lakhs for getting all the safety features with unnecessary bells and whistles (yes I am looking at you Kia Seltos and Hyundai Creta). In the end, I can only appreciate the fact that our homegrown brands like Mahindra and Tata are way ahead in learning these things and have offered optional packages on their XUV 700 and the Punch respectively.
AROO7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 21:33   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Manufacturers are having to make various compromises to get through the situation currently prevailing, where one part of the other is not available due to the global electronic shortage. Mahindra's removing a whole host of features from the AX7 and AX7L variants to create the AX7S variant because of parts crunch. I sincerely doubt Skoda for VW will do this just for Cross cutting. There clearly is some part of the the assembly or mechanism that has a supply constraint and rather than stop producing the variants with this feature, Skoda has gone ahead and deleted it from the feature list temporarily. It is very clear from the Zacks' tweet that this is a temporary measure and the feature should be back and available as soon as supply constraints ease across the system I drive a 2020 Thar and is a much wider vehicle than the Kushaq. Even the top end variant doesn't have auto folding mirrors, however I have never had, even once in the whole year of ownership, to manually fold the mirrors. It may be that some folks with very narrow parking spots would need this feature but I think a vast majority of buyers will not, in practice, miss this feature on a daily basis.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 22:39   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr001 View Post
There might be people here who have not used to feature in crowded lanes (driving/parking). I have it on my 2020 Rapid and it is a boon when the time comes.

By now, have used it approx. 50 times or more. I believe some people might even be daily/frequent users. I agree with the view that it is almost like power windows for today.
Being a Skoda Rapid user, I also totally agree. I use it every time I park it [close both of them by turning the knob inside]. Once the car is on move, I turn them open again. It is a boon given it is such a convenient feature. On a lighter note, it is the look of appreciation [and sometimes very slightly amused] on the faces of onlookers when the car slowly moving out of the lane, both mirrors opening slowly with a whirring noise while nobody touching them.
Guru_GPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 22:56   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I drive a 2020 Thar and is a much wider vehicle than the Kushaq. Even the top end variant doesn't have auto folding mirrors, however I have never had, even once in the whole year of ownership, to manually fold the mirrors.
The Thar is quite tall and square and the ORVMs do not exactly touch with the ORVMs of neighbouring cars / those on the other side. The Taigun/ Kushaq are quite of comparable height to the tall boy hatches, MUVs and other CUVs . They are at the height of the side mirrors of motorcycles and scooters too. They are more often than not scratched/ hit/ banged upon / folded when in traffic and while parked too. The auto folding mirrors are something you would miss badly once you are used to them.
sunsetorange is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 01:01   #102
BHPian

I can't help but find the hype train for the Kushaq and Taigun a bit strange. They are not track versions of elite sports cars that they can strip away features and people will still buy them because of an ostensibly superior driving experience. They're the lowest tier of mass market compact crossovers, and let's be honest, the difference in driving experience between these two and a Seltos turbo petrol is negligible. The perception that these two are superior comes from preconceived notions about European cars being better and is purely psychological. I can see someone getting an N Line, say, for the driving experience, and compromising on space for that. But when you're buying this kind of tall crossover, it's because you want to fit your family inside, you want a practical car, but if Skoda and VW will keep on getting rid of features like that, coupled with DSG related trauma, these cars don't seem to be an attractive option for a practical everyday car. Just because the Volkswagen group owns Porsche doesn't make these two Porsches.
karanddd is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 08:32   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Electric folding mirrors are an essential convenience feature. Especially in wider cars. When you get caught in tight situations folding the mirrors provide an essential extra few cms of clearance by folding them. And to step out to do this is crazy. At a stretch yes the driver side can be said to be okay. But what if you are travelling alone and need to fold the passenger side?

Deleting this feature is down right stupid but then it's Skoda. Not known for the brightest set of brains anyway. Personally for me an electric fold and auto AC is right on the top of my conveniences. Any car without this is a straight off delete. Hell even the family i10 came in 2011 with both of these. Perhaps Skoda thought that too many people were buying their products and wanted to maintain exclusivity like Ferrari.

Drive on,
Shibu
What wider car? The Kushaq is only 1760 mm in width. The Safari/Harrier/Hexa and all the others are over 2000 mm in width. Inspite of that, I never felt the need to close my mirrors under any circumstances. By closing your mirrors and trying to squeeze through a gap, you have blinded yourself to body panel damages on either side. If your car with open mirrors can't go through the gap, the gap is probably too narrow for you to safely navigate.
What I can agree upon is that the Kushaq is a overgrown hatchback and not a SUV. The other SUV sized cars have their ovrm higher than bikes and other cars, hence there is no worry of the mirrors getting damaged by other traffic.
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 09:09   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
What I can agree upon is that the Kushaq is a overgrown hatchback and not a SUV. The other SUV sized cars have their ovrm higher than bikes and other cars, hence there is no worry of the mirrors getting damaged by other traffic.
It's good manners to close your mirrors when parked on public roads, especially narrow roads, so that other motorists don't have to worry about damaging them, and pedestrians can walk more comfortably on roads with no footpaths (we have lots of such roads in Pune). I have myself experienced this few times where I had to take a step left onto the oncoming traffic to avoid an open mirror and that's quite a risk on narrow roads. Also, many cars have mirrors that jut out too much, so electric fold (auto fold for those too ignorant or lazy to even turn a knob or push a button) is a very handy feature to have and should be considered on par with other common features.

Last edited by nitkel : 26th January 2022 at 09:20.
nitkel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 11:08   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitkel View Post
It's good manners to close your mirrors when parked on public roads, especially narrow roads, so that other motorists don't have to worry about damaging them, and pedestrians can walk more comfortably on roads with no footpaths (we have lots of such roads in Pune). I have myself experienced this few times where I had to take a step left onto the oncoming traffic to avoid an open mirror and that's quite a risk on narrow roads. Also, many cars have mirrors that jut out too much, so electric fold (auto fold for those too ignorant or lazy to even turn a knob or push a button) is a very handy feature to have and should be considered on par with other common features.
For the good manners every human has got two hands. It's not impossible to get out of the car and fold the mirrors after you lock the car agree that it's a good to have feature. But the overreaction on this forum of not buying a car because it doesn't have autofold mirrors is quite strange.
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed