Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2022, 11:23   #106
BHPian

Re: 2022 Skoda Kushaq & VW Taigun lose electric folding mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
But the overreaction on this forum of not buying a car because it doesn't have autofold mirrors is quite strange.
That overreaction stems from the feature being removed with no compensation or retrofit option, rather that it being never offered in the first place. There's a difference there and if you think from a prospective owners position, you'll feel it too!
nitkel is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 13:57   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
Had sent a note to Zac Hollis the other day expressing my disappointment and received this response today. Had shared a link to this thread as well.
Hi Varkey,

I think you should also ask him if it’s really a chip shortage then why is the car price not adjusted accordingly? Does this mean, Skoda will replace manual OVRMs with electric ones for free once they have sorted out the supply chain issues?

It seems Skoda is exploring new territories for customer dissatisfaction. Till now it was after sales service, now they are focusing on pre-sales
techmotor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 21:48   #108
BHPian

For fellow bhpians who have cancelled the booking of Kushaq due to the removal of ORVM auto fold, here is my two cents on this.

While it is a creature comfort which is definitely more than good to have, I don't think its a deal breaker. The engine, transmission, platform and the brand matters the most in a car.

If you like all the above in the car that you have selected, then i think you should go ahead with your booking.

Honestly for the last one decade I have not closed the ORVM manually in any tight spots. May be it is because I avoid those very narrow lanes and stick to the arterial roads.

The next time you see a Kushaq your heart might tell you that you missed it big time. Do you want that to happen? If you have fallen for the vehicle, go for it and have fun.

On the flip side, auto fold ORVM can be added as an after market accessory. It may cost you around 15 to 20 K (Heard that Creta's Auto fold mirror assembly is around this cost).

Cheers
Old 26th January 2022, 22:38   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus_700 View Post
For fellow bhpians who have cancelled the booking of Kushaq due to the removal of ORVM auto fold, here is my two cents on this.

While it is a creature comfort which is definitely more than good to have, I don't think its a deal breaker. The engine, transmission, platform and the brand matters the most in a car.

If you like all the above in the car that you have selected, then i think you should go ahead with your booking.

Honestly for the last one decade I have not closed the ORVM manually in any tight spots. May be it is because I avoid those very narrow lanes and stick to the arterial roads.

The next time you see a Kushaq your heart might tell you that you missed it big time. Do you want that to happen? If you have fallen for the vehicle, go for it and have fun.

On the flip side, auto fold ORVM can be added as an after market accessory. It may cost you around 15 to 20 K (Heard that Creta's Auto fold mirror assembly is around this cost).

Cheers
Hi Zeus,
I'm one of those BHPians who has cancelled his booking due to the power mirror deletion. Let me explain my reasoning and also address a couple of your points.

My parent's house in my hometown has a narrow entrance and exit to reach the main road. Several times when there is another vehicle approaching me I have to close my mirrors and then re-open them again after the vehicle passes. Now imagine me doing Yoga in the car to close the passenger window everytime I want to close/open the ORVMs.
You may have avoides the narrow lanes, but for others they are unavoidable (no one loves narrow lanes).
It is similar to saying that I don't have back seat passengers in my car frequently, so I don't need power windows, I can make do with manual rolling windows. Sounds silly when that logic is applied to everyone, right?

I like the Skoda Kushaq's engine, transmission, platform and brand but I love my creature comforts as well.
The Kushaq, while being a special car and also fitting a lot of people's requirements, isn't such a vehicle which will make me look at it in regret when I pass by it while driving my Tucson/Creta/Compass/Harrier. If I think I would feel that way, then I'll buy the Kushaq after sometime when the power ORVMs are available (should happen in the next couple of months)

As for adding power ORWMs as an after market accessory, I'm not in favour of that as there is a good chance it will void the warranty and may ruin the factory fit of the car as well. Can't afford to have warranty voided on a Skoda car and can't tolerate new rattles as well.

Cancelling the booking was my decision and while I'm not pushing others to do the same, I empathise with all who are in the same boat. At the same time I also understand where you're coming from.
The beauty of purchasing a car in a free country is that we can make our decisions, regardless of how logical or illogical they may seem to others.

P. S: I haven't ruled out booking the Kushaq again once this feature is made available.
CeeBeeR is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 02:28   #110

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Whichever be the case - whether the electric fold/unfold itself is removed or whether only the 'auto' fold/unfold is removed, the stepper motor control (could well be a simple dc motor with a limit switch, just like window winder motors) would most likely be part of the main BCM board, and I don't see (or I don't know enough to see) how 'chip shortage' can cause this feature delete.
This is not true. The motors that drive the windows, mirrors etc. are not directly connected or driven by the BCM. They are connected to other modules such as the Door Control Module or the Mirror Control Module. Each of these modules also contain microcontrollers, although, they are not as powerful as the micro controller in BCM.

The BCM sends commands to these modules via serial communication bus such as LIN to fold mirrors, roll down windows, lock doors etc. These modules do as commanded and send status back to BCM.

Therefore, eliminating a feature such as electrically controlled ORVM does reduce the micro controller content in a vehicle.

An example is given here:
https://www.embitel.com/automotive-i...-in-automotive
Jabber is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 11:28   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus_700 View Post

Cheers
Technically we don't need power windows as well. However at a certain price point these features are simply expected. Not to mention that when opting for a Taigun/Kushaq you're already giving up a LOT of creature comforts (Customizable ambient lighting, panoramic sunroof, powered seats, 360 degree camera, front parking sensors etc).

For me, removing auto folding ORVMs was the straw that broke the camel's back.
sid3091 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 13:46   #112
BHPian

Power folding mirrors were something fancy when it was introduced in mass market cars; just like power windows were in 90's. Over time, these are taken for granted and is required as cars get bigger and bigger.

I have a M800 and Renault Kwid, both have a width of approx 1500mm and I can reach and adjust the window winders on all 4 doors as well as passenger side ORVM from driver seat with bit of a stretch (I am 5 feet 8 inches tall, medium built).

In my i20 which is 1710mm wide, its nearly impossible for me to stretch and adjust the passenger side mirror or reach rear door window controls. Thankfully the variant I got, have both power windows and power folding mirrors, and I value these functionality in daily use. Taigun and Kushaq being wider, would be more difficult to operate the manual folding mirror on passenger side.

Deleting this feature is only for cost cutting as someone explained in a previous post above - a motor, some switches and some wiring/harness would be removed, although the BCM of the car would still be capable of operating this function if these parts were present.

Yes, VW cars offer better driving pleasure compared to competition, but then its not a McLaren F1 or Ferrari 488 that offers superlative driving pleasure so that I could ignore/forgive the missing essentials that are handy in daily usage.
TT-S is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 21:27   #113
BHPian

IMO, Skoda can go down the following route
1. Give a discount proportionate to the amount it will cost to retrofit the folding mirrors (at the dealership; not an FNG)
2. Keep all the cheaper components like the wiring harness in place so that it makes #1 easy/easier. The BCM may need some recoding to 'learn' about these features once they are installed later.

I wonder what the issue is with doing the above. Either Zac doesn't want to let go of the extra margins due to deleting this feature (possible) or he doesn't have any confidence doing this retrofit at the dealer level [even more possible]. (But it is not like this is a mission-critical component that has to absolutely done at the factory level). I know there are logistics involved but what the heck.

After all the bad press this specific deletion has garnered, it would serve Skoda right to offer this option to their potential customers. This way, all these rising tempers are placated. I wonder why this simple solution cannot be offered!!!

Last edited by kedar_GT : 27th January 2022 at 21:27. Reason: Afterthoughts
kedar_GT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 09:51   #114
Senior - BHPian

If not essential, it is indeed a convenient feature. I don't go into narrow lanes much, but before the electric folding feature started appearing in cars, I always folded my mirrors manually, when my car was parked in a tight parking space.

Both Skoda and Volkswagen should, at least, give an option to retrofit a kit later on, if not free, then at a modest price.

This way, they will, most probably, keep those customers who are now cancelling their bookings.

I am sure, if there is enough demand, aftermarket scene will also catch up and offer such kits a competent price too.
Old 28th January 2022, 10:17   #115
BHPian

I agree, more than the price cut, which would be negligible for someone who is buying a car at this price range, an option that this feature would be made available at a later date in cars already sold, once chip shortage dies down would have been a good gesture and would have prevented a lot of cancelled bookings or people eliminating this car from the shortlist. Going for an aftermarket option outside the dealership would anyways be risky, as Skoda is known to find ways to wriggle out of warranty, but a company approved retrofit at a later date would have definitely helped.
Old 28th January 2022, 17:56   #116
BHPian

My understanding is that the Kushaq's ORVMs are only losing the 'auto-folding' function, which to my knowledge is the mirrors getting folded automatically when the car is turned off and getting unfolded when turned on. It still retains the electric folding capability. Correct me if I am wrong.

If above mentioned is the case, then cancelling the booking is an over reaction, which is funny because from what I have heard Skoda is yet to sort out the EPC error issues in the Kushaq and people are willing to take a chance with that!

In previous gen VAG cars, the auto-folding function could be added by installing a 'module' which is an OEM part, so no issues with warranty. Not sure about the Kushaq though.

Last edited by corvus corax : 28th January 2022 at 18:08.
corvus corax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 18:07   #117
BHPian

^ This has been discussed a few times, it's the electrically folding feature that has been removed, not _just_ the auto fold. The ORVMs can only be folded manually.
varkey is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 22:01   #118
BHPian

Interesting. A retrofit hasn't been ruled out yet. Whether it will be done at our cost or Skoda's isn't known.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Skoda Kushaq & VW Taigun lose electric folding mirrors-screenshot_20220128220059_twitter.jpg  

2022 Skoda Kushaq & VW Taigun lose electric folding mirrors-screenshot_20220128220108_twitter.jpg  

CeeBeeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 22:10   #119
BHPian

If they had initially just announced that when the semiconductor situation improves, the electrically foldable mirrors will be retrofitted at their cost, I am pretty sure they wouldn't have got this much of a backlash on this issue. They tried to sneak in this change and now just doing damage control?
varkey is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 23:23   #120

Still unclear if the retro fit would be at customer's cost or free as a goodwill gesture from Skoda
fossilpastprime is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks