Team-BHP - Mahindra & Mahindra planning to launch another SUV product
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Mahindra & Mahindra planning to launch another SUV product (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/24745-mahindra-mahindra-planning-launch-another-suv-product.html)

Looks like M&M are planning to launch a new SUV in addition to Ingenio after all. Could this be the new 2.2 ltr? Which also explains why they are promoting the Scorpio M2Di.

Here is the excerpts...

Mahindra & Mahindra planning to launch another SUV product
Mahindra & Mahindra is one of the leading domestic automobile manufacturer in India. The company has had good success with their Scorpio SUV.
They also recently went into a partnership with Renault and have launched the Logan sedan in the Indian market at attractive prices.
Now, M&M has announced their future plans which includes investments of Rs 2,000 crore on various plans.
Pawan Goenka, president of the company’s automotive division: “We are working on two new platforms, one is for an SUV (sports utility vehicle) that will take us slightly upmarket and the other is for a cargo and passenger vehicle.”
They also are working on plans to enter the US pick-up truck market. Goenka added: “We are working on the emission and safety norms for the truck, which will be based on the Scorpio platform.”
M&M however clarified that their upcoming SUV product for India is unlikely to be exported to other markets in the near future.

SOURCE: Mahindra & Mahindra planning to launch another SUV product

In fact it seems that there is definitely some activity going on at their end. They now have a spruced up website. Further they have another website for the customisations Mahindra Customised Cars whch used to be part of the main website earlier.

Could the cargo vehicle be based on the Renualt Kangoo? It's been doing the rounds near Kandivli plant forever now.

If you read between the lines, you will notice: Mahindra want a product to take them a bit more upmarket, well above the rural/taxi image and into image conscious SUV territory. They were in talks with Ssangyong for launching the Rexton a few years back. And if I remember correctly, Anand Mahindra had remarked during the Scorpio launch about a possible bigger SUV from Mahindra.

Could they be thinking of an SUV the size of an Endy with that spanking new 2.2 CRDe in the engine bay...?! This platform could mutate into pickups/doublecab etc for export market. With a little technical know-how from Renault/Nissan and suspension tuning courtesy Lotus...anything seems possible. Of course, this is mindless speculation..:p

I smell Safari getting some real competition
Wow, 2 desi SUVs fighting it out with 2.2 l Crde/Dicors
This would be really interesting to watch

Can anyone shed light on the diff between CRde and Dicor and which is better, my guess is CRDe?

Well CRDe & dicor are both the same thing just different ways of naming them. They both are variants of CRDI which is Common Rail Direct Injection. Dicor is Tata's way of saying it DICOR = Direct inject Common Rail.

Just saw the Mahindra MUVish Ingenio on test near MICO plant audogodi. It was heavily Camouflaged. 2 Test mules in bumper traffic. Couldn't take a snap as i was driving through heavy traffic.

Vid, pity you couldnt get snaps. Any ideas on how it looks, although camouflaged? As big as the Innova?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashwin_seattle (Post 457616)
I smell Safari getting some real competition
Wow, 2 desi SUVs fighting it out with 2.2 l Crde/Dicors
This would be really interesting to watch

More power to the masses. I saw a Sonalika Rhino - very ugly, but surprisingly well finished (okay I saw the TOP end one). If they get a better looking version of it out with the alleged Rover engine we should have a threesome.

BTW rode a Sonalika tractor too - again rather well finished for a tractor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 457720)
Vid, pity you couldnt get snaps. Any ideas on how it looks, although camouflaged? As big as the Innova?

Dint look as long as the innova but it was very bulky looking. Stubby looking. The shape with the sloping bonnet was like the Innova. The tail lamps are the same as the Scorpio's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 457763)
More power to the masses. I saw a Sonalika Rhino - very ugly, but surprisingly well finished (okay I saw the TOP end one). If they get a better looking version of it out with the alleged Rover engine we should have a threesome.

BTW rode a Sonalika tractor too - again rather well finished for a tractor.

Is this the one? It looks sort of Qualis-like, almost as if they took FRP moulds out of the Qualis doors. Is the 2000cc turbocharged engine they mentioned a Rover?
International Cars & Motors Limited - HomePage
Apparently they've roped in an international design co to re-do the styling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 457696)
Just saw the Mahindra MUVish Ingenio on test near MICO plant audogodi. It was heavily Camouflaged. 2 Test mules in bumper traffic. Couldn't take a snap as i was driving through heavy traffic.

Oh, so the news is out !! Its a MUV, code named "U" and would be 2.5l, 2 Valves, 4 Cyl. 215 Nm, 66 kW powertrain. Additionally, it has the latest Bosch ECU of the current EDC17 generation. Scorpio 2.2 and 2.6 both sport the previous EDC16 platform ECUs. However, the final software would be done by end sept.

Its not clear to me why Mahindra would need a 2.5L 8V engine when they already have a 2.6L 8V engine. 88 hp also is on the low side. Is this based on the Peugeot XDP block?

Rexton was the name heard for a long time but Mahindra do require an upmarket SUV to come out of that Taxi image.

Pawan Goenka, president of the company’s automotive division:
Quote:

“We are working on two new platforms, one is for an [COLOR=#14223d][COLOR=#14223D ! important][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][COLOR=#14223D ! important][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]SUV[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] (sports utility vehicle) that will take us slightly upmarket and the other is for a cargo and passenger vehicle.”
Tata ACE opened up a 65000+ units/ year market for small pick-ups. M&M would be doing something for that. I hear that the SUV decision is a more recent one, and they plan to launch this in a record time of 2 years.

I wish they would concentrate on getting maybe a hybrid version of the current scorp, which would take fuel efficiency to maddeningly high levels. They have space for a large battery bank in and around the spare tyre location, and some space for a motor within the drivetrain.