Old 4th June 2007, 21:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
in my case :
1. projected high running
2. cheaper than petrol per litre
3. gives more mileage per litre as compared to petrol
4. point 2 & 3 in my opnion, pretty much offsets the higher initial cost.
5. even if not, i prefer paying more once up front, than getting pissed off each time I top up. Now I'm happy each time i top up.
You said it, mate ! The joy of tanking up again and again cannot be had in a petrol.
Old 4th June 2007, 21:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
i prefer paying more once up front, than getting pissed off each time I top up. Now I'm happy each time i top up.
Exactly!!!! to the point. I know three peopel who drive 700 - 800 KM monthly max (sometimes 500 too). They idle on AC a lot (chain drinkers lol)...

Even i like to pay once rather than getting pissed each time but until my monthly usage is 1000+ km i wont buy a diesel.

My daily running is 50KM/daily on avg monthly. Some days its just 10 Km but at times it shoots upto 80+ within city. So diesel suits me PERFECT (Though one do miss 6-7k redline at times )

Last edited by abhibh : 4th June 2007 at 22:01.
Old 4th June 2007, 22:08   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
For you it might be different, so whats your choice and why ??

I dont have a diesel - and will never prefer one in a car. But, I wouldnt settle for anything else in the 2.2L Dicor SUV that I might buy down the line.

As for the "why", the torque, long distance high speed relaxed cruising and the mileage in city come to mind, besides the innate ability of such a diesel engine-SUV combination to flatten silverish Balenos with optional lug nuts

Last edited by theMAG : 4th June 2007 at 22:25.
Old 4th June 2007, 22:13   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
As for the "why", the torque, long distance high speed relaxed cruising and the mileage in city come to mind
Besides the point that Sumit will not be pleased to know that he cant run you over. Actually some competition this might turn out to be.
Old 5th June 2007, 00:57   #20
BHPian

I know the thread is 'why' diesel. But if one wants the best of both world's and is in Mumbai/Delhi one can choose a nice petrol car and get CNG fiited in it.

The myth of high maintainence in diesel car would always be at the back of one's mind.
Old 5th June 2007, 01:43   #21
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm... The primary reasons were

1> Low cost of maintenance. Have had previous experience with Indica diesel and knew that they are literally the washerman's mule. They work hard but eat very less.

2> Sustained happiness. Everytime I go to the pump and pay 1100-1200 rupees to tank up I feel vindicated. When the Santro wala on the next dispenser asks for "500 rupaye kaa petrol" I feel like clapping my toes and do a jig. His 500 rupees gets him some 10 liters of petrol that lasts him some 120-130 odd kms my 1100-1200 rupees tankful gets me some 32-33 liters of diesel that then lasts well over 500kms.

3> Space. Very important consideration. When I sat in various cars I started feeling claustrophobic. I drove my friend's hatch and because of the way I change gears brushed his thighs a couple of times. That invited a jibe about what would have happened by now if it would have been a girl next to me. Well, Indica gives you that space... you feel liberated. When I looked for that space I realized that I will have to sell my langot to get a car with so much space unless I choose a Tata. If I wanted a diesel with that much space not only my current langot but will also have to pledge my next 10 langots to the pawnshop guy.

So those were the prime consideration. Of course it is another matter that the feeling of road-hugging characteristic and a planted feel even above 100 kmph was also a rarity in any other diesel hatch at that time (a direct function of its weight I guess... the behemoth tips the scale at a ton).
Old 5th June 2007, 03:44   #22
BHPian

Yeah, yeah...

* Loads of torque.

* Keep the A/c on and eat my pizzaaa slowly.

* The gradual pick up is a turn on for Diesel heads (i personally feel so)... However, new engines have rewritten the rule.

* No second thoughts, about going on an extra long drive, when you feel like (my bad, too often i feel)

* Less dough for more kilometers.

* Every time, i tank up - accounts manager in myself is very happy.

Cheers,
Jai
Old 5th June 2007, 08:28   #23
BHPian

Why dont we have hybrid cars in India? Any thoughts. Seeing the success of Toyota Prius, one gets to think why can we explore possibilities away from the std diesel/petrol
Old 5th June 2007, 10:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hybrids are expensive. Thats the reason we still do not have it in India...

OT: Look at Reva (Electric Car), its a zero polluting vehicle but the govt. does not give it any subsidies, same is the case with Hybrids, if the govt does not promote it in association with the motor companies, they would be way too expensive.
Old 5th June 2007, 11:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

and not to forget, most of the heavy duty vehicles too use Diesel, be it trucks, Buses or mid range load carriers, even the Indian Railways use diesel engines and I read somewhere that its the CRDI technology there too.
Old 5th June 2007, 11:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

When i bought my Palio D, i had 5.5 lakhs at my hand including loan. At that price there was not much choice at that time. Indigo, Ikon Flair and palio D. Palio D was the obvious choice for me becaue Flair was sluggish comparatively and Indigo was also sluggish (TDI was not released then) and the quality is better in Palio. The other car i could get is Baleno for another 60K (including wheel upgrade). This was increasing both my EMI and monthly fuel budget. That was a difficult decision to give up on Baleno and i still regret about it sometimes.
Old 5th June 2007, 11:14   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
even the Indian Railways use diesel engines and I read somewhere that its the CRDI technology there too.
Yes you are right. All those railway engines run on a common rail, laid down by the Indian Railways it is CRDI technology there too.
Old 5th June 2007, 11:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

Why did I buy a diesel ? Because the Safari didnt come with a good petrol engine.

I have no regrets, though - the engine pulls like a locomotive in a way that Petrols cannot.
Old 5th June 2007, 11:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

I like the diesels for their low end grunt, driveability. And ofcourse, lower price of Diesel and better FE.
But i dislike the diesel cars (even modern ones) mostely for their hard clutch and vibrations. I haven't came across a single Diesel car having a clutch as soft as a Santro or a M800.
Old 5th June 2007, 11:54   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

There is also another reason for going diesel : The lack of a competent petrol! Remember the original Skoda petrol engine, the diesel far outclassed it. Ditto in the case of the Indica / Indigo Turbo, Verna, Elantra, Scorpio and Safari etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks