Team-BHP - How hard would it be 2 get S55AMG for 60L in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   How hard would it be 2 get S55AMG for 60L in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2477-how-hard-would-2-get-s55amg-60l-india.html)

Hi guys, Again a lone post...just not getting enuf time to go through the board, but somehow I had this small question which was bothering me..

I mean how hard would be really to get the S55 AMG in india through a dealer(whom u know very well) for the same price as the S320?? In my opinion not very hard..I dont know what the process is when u import, but if you actually remove the badge from the car and put the 320 badges(this thought was triggered by some SL pic i saw) and just show an invoice for some S320?? Wouldnt you be able to get the car in? Once its in india, no one even care? cant you do the same with a lot of mercs? like the SL too, get the SL320 badging, or something else?

Another person who really trigered this is a dealer who told me that he bought the LX470 from japan where it is called land cruiser Cygnus or something and when he brings it in, just puts the lexus badges all over..so technically its doable right and easily???

I am just wondering about the possibilities? an M5 for the price for a 528 M3 for the price of 318...man u can go on and on..

and btw i saw V12 stating the price of the SL55 as 1.47c.. is that really true? I thought it was more like 1.1 or .1.15c?? again after doing the math..

Just very curious...

CU full time in few day

i guess rebadging can be done only by dealers who have contacts with the port authorities. Its not just the badge that the port authorities check. They also go through the manuals and other papers that come along with the car. Ok, its possible to change the papers and manuals to show it as a S320. The port authorities stamp the paper etc etc and complete all the legal formalities.
But what if you have to sell the car. Ur papers show that the car is a S320. However hard you try to convince the buyer he is only gonna believe the registration book.

1.4 cr Sl55 AMG would include everything like road tax, registration etc etc.

C4S, Its not as simple a job of rebadging and paying lower duties as you may have been led to believe. If it was, then why just play around with the engine spec (e.g. 500 to 320)...heck I would just rebadge a Ferrari as a Fiat, and a Honda S2000 as a Civic and get them home for 1/4 the price.

The Indian customs are not that stupid, and even though there have been some lone cases of lower duties on mercs, it is surely not an everyday thing. I can also tell you of a zillion instances when the authorities have come home and seized the cars once they found out of the revenue deficit. Not only did the owners then have to pay the entire duty as actuals, but they also had to shell out a hefty penalty!

Now can we stop comparing SL55 AMG's to Aston Martins, and wondering how we could get it in India for 60 lacs? Lets just sit aside and appreciate having a supercar on our board.

GTO

Hehehehe C4S, I wish it were that easy man. U know that the Customs have a Vast amount of Details about the Car? They verify with the Car Manufacturers with the Chassis and Engine Nos if its a new car with the Pricing and all. Well for Old Cars they rely on other things like the Dep rate in the Specific Country and Invoice.

You got me wrong there GTO..i am not saying I want to do that(ok i am not saying i wouldnt like to)...but the point of the question was to just find out how do they check..

and I figured it out...but all these are just possibilities and I know stuff like this is doable cuz my driver(one of the 3/4 trusted by satya) use to work for satya(the bentley dealer from delhi)..he use to pick cars from ports and drive them to delhi etc..so he knows a lot..he use to tell me about custom frauds and shit...anyhow..besides the point..

but it was not very intelligent to say that you rebadge a ferrari with a *fiat..i was keeping a theme..rebadging and S with a diff egine spec S..similarly other cars..anyhow..i get it, its possible and its doable as long as u r in india..hell ppl do it in the US..with stolen cars(recreating dmv records, changing vin etc and then finally making it drive worthy on the road.)...if its possible in a place like US then it would be easier in india..ofcourse if u do a crime you have to pay the price if u r caught..but that generally doesnt detour these dealers to do it right?

I remember the LX470(was it?) that salman was driving when he got into that accident was brought in with wrong papers and no/less duty..etc..do you really think he would have had to pay a fine or the duty(i would say he would have paid some money but under the table)

Anyhow...another Q, whats wrong in comparing astons to SL55..i am not comparing it cuz RG has one..i am comparing it cuz i like the car myself and thats the car i would like to get (for my wife, she loves it) when i get back to india...so was just looking at possibilities..even though it might be sometime before it happens..but still looking out is not a bad thing ??

L8r

it is possible if u have the right contacts. There was an article in Mid-Day 2 years back about how these guys used to "remove" brand new Landcruisers from the ports and replace them with old ones.
Everything is possible here if u have enuf money to bribe them

Sarcasm must never be mistaken as a reflection of someones intelligence, or the lack of. But then, it does take a good amount of I.Q. to differentiate between sarcasm and intelligence too!

Take it easy

GTO

C4S u know there is another way to get in an imported car. If someone's an NRI then they can get their cars from abroad into India for a period of 1-1 1/2 years without paying duty for it. But then after the stipulated time you need to send the car back to its original country. I think this is how Rajeev Shah brought his Diablo into town but am not sure. This is cmpletely legal and you don't need to do any ghaplas

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Mar. 19 2004,10:38)]Sarcasm must never be mistaken as a reflection of someones intelligence, or the lack of. But then, it does take a good amount of I.Q. to differentiate between sarcasm and intelligence too!

Take it easy

GTO

ok man..if u say so..

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GrimReaper @ Mar. 20 2004,08:06)]C4S u know there is another way to get in an imported car. If someone's an NRI then they can get their cars from abroad into India for a period of 1-1 1/2 years without paying duty for it. But then after the stipulated time you need to send the car back to its original country. I think this is how Rajeev Shah brought his Diablo into town but am not sure. This is cmpletely legal and you don't need to do any ghaplas

WOW!
Grim...tell us more man!...
anyone know about this and the specific rules and reglations?

cheers

Yea U have to be owning an House in the Specific Country. And the car should be registered there in your name or some relatives of yours who will be ready to send u the car. And from there on its Easy. The process is known as Carnet by the Importers. All you have to pay is like 4% of the car Value and thats it. But U can keep the car for only 11 months in India after that u can take an Extension of every 9 months. This is actually done by Foreginers or NRI's who are going to stay in the country for over 8-9 months for Work or whatever. Rajeev's Diablo was brought in this way.

Cool...only bummer is the time limit, but this is great to know.
Thanks.

hmm..thats awesome and pretty interesting..sowhat u r saying since i am living here and own a house(presuming i was in a rhd country) i could send a brand new/old car to my father to use for 11 months and may be get 9 months extension 1/2 times?? which is more than any car i would like to drive any ways..a littles less than 3 years is good enuf with a car.this sounds awesome...from where do i find more on this and also does the relative have to be blood or someone like mamma, chacha and all work?

Thanks for the info.

And another funny think i noticed..the SL55 or any merc in europe is much much more expensive than the mercs in US, when the US mercs come from europe? how can that be..in UK SL55 is 93k pounds on road..which i think means 77k pounds or something invoice which is 140k$ and in US its 120k base...similarly it is 114k euros else where in europe which again comes to 140k$, how is this even possible..plus now in US we have this new thing..of taking delivery in europe and save 7% on the cost of the car and you get it shipped to US..so basically ui save a little moeny..not that it should really matter but what ever..if u take that into acc..the price differrence is huuugggeee!!!!!! how come??what am i missing here..

_Crazi4Speed_

You miss 17.5 value added tax

Specific Country Rules I presume.