Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Padmini or Ambassador which would you choose?
Premier Padmini 300 55.56%
Hindustan Ambassador 240 44.44%
Voters: 540. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 12:44   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Nostalgic poll : Premier Padmini or Hindustan Ambassador. Which would you choos

Premier padmini anyday. Our first car on which I came home from the hospital after birth. Served the family for 20years. The revv happy engine and amazing stability and a slightly sleek look as compared to the ambassador makes it a more deserving package between the two.
Old 6th November 2012, 12:52   #197
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Nostalgic poll : Premier Padmini or Hindustan Ambassador. Which would you choos

Just say a grand old Amby yesterday being driven to work by a fairly young chap. Seemed like yesteryears where people used to take either of these to work on a regular basis.

Nowadays it is a very rare sight to see it put to daily use and even the taxi trade has reduced the dependencies on the Amby by a great extent. But after yesterday's sighting longed to acquire an grand old Amby all over again!
Old 6th November 2012, 13:03   #198
BHPian

Voted for the Amby, Big car, comfort re-defined. It was literally sofa on wheels.
Remember once went over speed breaker without slowing down and just felt a minor bump. Same speed breaker in the Premier taxi used to throw you up in the seat if you don't slow down.

However, Amby always brings back my childhood memory, sometime in the 80's when we drove from Mumbai to Dombivli and the car broke down near Mumbra during return due to over heating... Steam bellowing all over from bonnet... Was very scared then !!

With the Premier, I learnt driving on it...So once you drive these 2 cars, all other cars don't seem to be challenge any more.

Cheers
MKP
Old 6th November 2012, 13:09   #199
Senior - BHPian

Amby for the over all comfort, particularly rear seat. Padmini for its size and driving pleasure.
Old 6th November 2012, 15:38   #200
BHPian

Though I learnt driving with a 118NE, I'd give my vote to Amby for providing the sheer nostalgia of the pleasures we used to have in a friend's Mark II. The space & comfort of both the seats was awesome and pretty useful. Also it used to be hilarious seeing the one driving negotiate with the steering wheel.
Old 25th June 2013, 20:22   #201
Senior - BHPian

The Padmini is surely extincly however with the petrol Amby back in the reconing finally with a BS4 compliant motor, it is to say the least this age old beast has a thing about resurrecting itself albelit in a snail pace.

This should get it back selling in major metros and is flanked by CNG and LPG versions as well though not sure what type of customers would go for it even now.

Source - http://www.hmambassador.com/tech-specs-1.8-petrol.asp
Old 25th June 2013, 22:14   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Amby for the unmatched ride quality. Rest all, its the Padmini. I voted for Padmini. Loved the engine roar of my 1100D. Learnt driving @11 on this car. It was ultra stable, better handler than amby, better brakes, better FE, good looks and good pickup too.
Though the entire experience of ownership cannot be termed as trouble-free but then it was an old car, but with amazing features and driveability in that era. PAL could have done better than letting it die a slow death. Hated this.
Old 25th June 2013, 22:22   #203
Senior - BHPian

Without doubt it is Premier Padmini the exhaust note was simply amazing
Learnt to drive in my 11th in my Dad's car, good ol days with no power steering. Believe it was a 1987 model, unfortunately it was sold off to a family friend.
Old 26th June 2013, 09:15   #204
Senior - BHPian

Owned both together at one point in time. The Padmini was one of the finer cars with a very rev-happy petrol engine in those times. The Ambassador was a hulk. The seats were larger than life and everything felt tank-solid. If given a choice, i'd resurrect both for what emotional value they had 3 decades ago!
Old 9th July 2013, 22:33   #205
BHPian

Hindustan Ambassador has been adjudged as the BEST TAXI IN THE WORLD by BBC Top gear tv show.
It defeated New york Yellow cab, London cab, South African van cab, Mexican Beetle cab and Russian Limousine cab.
bhpindian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 23:46   #206
BHPian

I will say this at the risk of sounding crazy but i absolutely love the design of the amby. If they took the interiors and everything under the hood from a top notch car and fitted it into the amby's body, then i'd be queueing up to book one. Right away.
Old 11th July 2013, 00:44   #207
BHPian

Definitely Premier Padmini. My dad's first car. The car I learnt driving in and its engine was part of my course work during 1st sem of Engineering. I still remember the experience of driving that car, the stiff gears but precise steering. We also had an amby that was used for travelling from Delhi to Dad's site in Tehri (during the construction of dam). Padmini used to be our city car and Amby the highway car.
Old 11th July 2013, 00:51   #208
BHPian

My vote goes to Premier Padmini - the first car I drove when I was 9. With visibility a challenge, I managed to drive it in my locality only. Felt gear-shift was hard in Amby when compared to Padmini. Would still love to own a Padmini
Old 13th February 2017, 14:41   #209

Ambassador vs Padmini

Hi guys, I am planning to purchase either an Ambassador or premier Padmini (for my own personal reasons) as a secondary car in Bangalore.
I want info from past/current owners preferably but not necessarily on the following:
Which model of each vehicle would be preferable to buy?
Petrol/diesel considering limited usage?
Some clarity on various Isuzu engines used in ambassadors and which is best?
Which would be easier to maintain?
Best mechanic in Bangalore to take care of these vehicles

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th February 2017, 17:00   #210
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ambassador vs Padmini

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedflame View Post
Hi guys, I am planning to purchase either an Ambassador or premier Padmini (for my own personal reasons) as a secondary car in Bangalore.
I want info from past/current owners preferably but not necessarily on the following:
Which model of each vehicle would be preferable to buy?
Petrol/diesel considering limited usage?
Some clarity on various Isuzu engines used in ambassadors and which is best?
Which would be easier to maintain?
Best mechanic in Bangalore to take care of these vehicles

Thanks in advance.
The answer depends on what is the requirement that you have in mind and what are the requirements that you can compromise on. Decision may not be accurate without knowing the requirements.

However, Value add from my side is, Given that both these cars are going to be considered Antique in near future, some additional important parameters to be considered when you are planning to purchase any of these two cars are:

1. Availability of Spares
2. Repair-ability of the car
3. Availability of Mechanic in your vicinity
4. How many more kms the car under consideration can run in addition to the distance it has already covered?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks