Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2007, 13:04   #31
BHPian

Even I have heard that the new Tata 2.2 is with help of Mico and not Delphi.
Old 8th June 2007, 14:16   #32
HSV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhajee View Post
Its a 2.2l, 4 Valves, 4 Cyl. 290 Nm, 85 kW, VTG with Bosch CRDI of the generation EDC16 ECU. Initial trails were over by 02.2007, however, the final version of the software was delivered only yesterday
From a layman's point of view...

The current 2.6 ltr scorpio already churns out 283 Nm torque as well as 85KW (115bhp). So if the new tech engine churns out a meagre improvement over these current figures... then BIG DEAL!

I mean really, whats the point of having the new engine if it cant better these above figures. I guess everyone was excited with regards to the new engine because it was supposed to generate over 140bhp and an equally enormous torque.

Sorry Jhajee, could you elaborate on this please.

regards
Old 8th June 2007, 17:17   #33
BHPian

When is Mahindra launching the Scorpio Eagle 2.2?

What if Mahindras have the same problem as the Indigo DiCOR i.e the gearbox was not designed to handle a higher output ?
Old 8th June 2007, 17:29   #34
BHPian

Sorry HSV for the PM, I did not read the FAQs fully. Any way here is my post again:

What if Mahindras have the same problem as the Indigo DiCOR i.e the gearbox cannot handle the additional output
Old 8th June 2007, 20:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
From a layman's point of view...

The current 2.6 ltr scorpio already churns out 283 Nm torque as well as 85KW (115bhp). So if the new tech engine churns out a meagre improvement over these current figures... then BIG DEAL!

I mean really, whats the point of having the new engine if it cant better these above figures. I guess everyone was excited with regards to the new engine because it was supposed to generate over 140bhp and an equally enormous torque.

Sorry Jhajee, could you elaborate on this please.

regards
Well if you look at the figures and then see that the almost the same stats are coming out of a much smaller engine, it is indeed a big deal.

Moreover the problem with Dicor Indigo is not that its existing gearbox/drivetrain cannot sustain the increased torque the Dicor engine is capable of. The real problem is that Tata will not market it (in its current version) with the full potential state of tune with the redesigned gearbox and drive train components for very obvious reasons.
Old 10th June 2007, 00:54   #36

Well you know guys we tend to look engines solely from the point of view of power, torque, FE etc whereas the OEMs have other considerations too. Legislations for example are a key when designing a new platform. Be it EOBD or CARB or our very own Bharat norms, the OEMs have a lot to look for a new engine design and the same holds true for Scorpio. The new 2.2 is a completely new engine with VGT that is both high on FE and low on emmisions. It was getting extremely difficult to achieve Euro 4 with the existing 2.6 leave alone Euro 5 norms. Hence this new platform.
Additionally, the new 2.2 adds a km to the FE.
Old 10th June 2007, 20:09   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhajee View Post
Well you know guys we tend to look engines solely from the point of view of power, torque, FE etc whereas the OEMs have other considerations too. Legislations for example are a key when designing a new platform. Be it EOBD or CARB or our very own Bharat norms, the OEMs have a lot to look for a new engine design and the same holds true for Scorpio. The new 2.2 is a completely new engine with VGT that is both high on FE and low on emmisions. It was getting extremely difficult to achieve Euro 4 with the existing 2.6 leave alone Euro 5 norms. Hence this new platform.
Additionally, the new 2.2 adds a km to the FE.
Agreed, one KM added to the FE is a 10% improvement which is quite a lot, considering 10Kmpl on a Scorpio.. Besides, i am sure, the new engine would have a reduced weight, increasing the overall power-to-weight ratio and driveability.

Improvement in quality happens in small steps.. There is no such thing as a Miracle..
Old 11th June 2007, 09:40   #38
BHPian

2.2 safari in October

Hi friends
Check out
:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

-POGU
Old 11th June 2007, 12:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
we don’t expect it to be launched in the domestic market before October this year.
Its only an opinion, which many have given so many time for the past many months (its going to be year after few more months) on the launch of 2.2 Safari. So till TATA/ a competent insider reveals the dates, one can only speculate.
Old 21st June 2007, 13:52   #40
BHPian

Not sure if this has been discussed already--
Yesterday when watching the rerun of the Car & Bike show, the news feed at the bottom of the screen said that -- "M&M plans to launch the 2200 Scorpio by October".
Old 21st June 2007, 15:36   #41
BHPian

I think it should be read as "Never" instead of "October". Btw last I heard it was supposed to be June (which is abt to end)
Old 21st June 2007, 17:07   #42
BHPian

Here is an update

According to senior Mahindra officials, a lighter 2.2-litre engine is well on its way and may hit the market by September this year. “We are working on a lighter engine and it may hit the market soon,” the officials told FE, though refusing to divulge details regarding a possible effect on the pricing of the vehicle.
Old 21st June 2007, 17:42   #43
BHPian

Quote:
But can you explain what 'CAN' is?
Controller Area Network (CAN) is a broadcast, differential serial bus standard, originally developed in the 1980s by Robert Bosch GmbH, for connecting electronic control units (ECUs). CAN was specifically designed to be robust in electromagnetically noisy environments and can utilize a differential balanced line like RS-485.
Old 21st June 2007, 17:56   #44
BHPian

This CAN is same like CAN BUS technology used in Swift as well if I am not wrong!
Old 22nd June 2007, 10:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Here is an update

According to senior Mahindra officials, a lighter 2.2-litre engine is well on its way and may hit the market by September this year. “We are working on a lighter engine and it may hit the market soon,” the officials told FE, though refusing to divulge details regarding a possible effect on the pricing of the vehicle.
Which effectively means both Scorpio/Safari 2.2 will be launched around the same time i.e. september, just before Dusherra/Diwali in November.

They want to capture the festivity moods ehh!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks