Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:20   #16
BHPian

If you are not going to reveal prices now, then why open bookings now? Maruti did a commendable job with the baleno launch.

I have driven Tata's 1.2NA(BS IV) for 40,000km before switching to Creta 1.4DCT.

1.2 NA does not have a linear Power delivery in bottom end, with a loaded car and Air con On, you'll feel jerks below 2000 rpm.

When driven spirtedly, DCT's tend to lag for a fraction of second.

So,In my guess, matting an engine with weak bottom range and DCT might further affect the power delivery.
Belive this was done by Tata to keep the prices down.

Tata must introduce more gear box option in Altroz and Nexon, that will rob few of Hyundai shoppers.
I would have bought a Nexon if there was a proper automatic model. 14L for an AMT? That's fooling customers.
tiagoatrix is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:45   #17
BHPian

re: Tata Altroz DCT Automatic, now launched at Rs. 8.09 lakh

Interesting choice by tata of using DCT on NA 1.2 engine, but honestly I think this is a temporary measure to keep price under control. Putting DCT to 1.2 turbo would make it as expensive as i20 dct ; i20 was popularly called the overpriced hatchback though it had cheaper variants just because its top end dct variant was expensive, altroz would get the same problem if it announces 1.2 Turbo DCT at once. So i think they are launching 1.2 NA DCT first as a cheaper automatic variant first and take the market share from the AMT competition and then may be they will also announce that 1.2 Turbo automatic is going to come in a few months.
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:05   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
And you say they should have launched the AMT. If they had, then followed it up with an AT - the development costs would have been been incurred twice. This would have only pushed the price even higher, or Tata would have had to bear losses on the two rounds of development costs.
The same engine, with same transmission, is mated with AMT in the Tiago as well as the Tigor & Punch. So barring minor tuning and small polishing here and there to fit the AMT unit inside the engine bay - I'm inclined to still believe that the cost for AMT integration with would have definitely been adjustable for a group that buys Air India .

And - the definitively higher sales with an AMT in the actual market (no matter how much people on forum may talk against it) - would have justified whatever small investment that would have been needed. The Baleno AMT will prove my point in near future.

Anyway - its all speculation and wish from my side that is definitely not going to be fulfilled by TaMo anymore, they have thrown their dice. So I'll let this topic rest at that rather than going on off-topic too much & getting a stick from the mods . Cheers!

Last edited by Reinhard : 3rd March 2022 at 12:08.
Reinhard is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:14   #19
BHPian

That’s good. Most awaited feature in Altroz.

Apart from testing, Tata needs to be investing time for training labor and maybe that’s what leads to a conservative approach.

Also, note the sales figure engine wise, Petrol NA is around 80%. This is hearsay from dealers/sales/waiting period and RTO registrations.
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:27   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskebail View Post
Putting DCT to 1.2 turbo would make it as expensive as i20 dct ; i20 was popularly called the overpriced hatchback
Not quite.

Hyundai’s turbo petrol is a much more advanced engine. It is all aluminium engine with direct fuel injection, dual variable valve timing and a modern twin cam head with oil spray jets for the pistons. It is a cutting edge modern petrol engine in the real sense. It is basically at par with VW’s TSi engines.

Tata’s engine is based on the Zest’s turbo petrol, which traces its origins to the old Indica petrol engine. Cast iron construction, single cam head and normal MPFI (indirect fuel injection). Simple, old school, reliable stuff.

Although both engines are turbo petrols, Hyundai’s engine makes the Tata unit seem ancient in comparison and by all means should be a more expensive motor. It is not an apple’s to apple’s comparison.

Hyundai does enjoy massive economies of scale with its 1.0 GDi, with the same engine doing duty in Grand i10 Nios, Aura, i20, Venue and Sonet. Combined numbers are huge.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 3rd March 2022 at 12:32.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:41   #21
BHPian

If this gearbox is the DT1 from Punch Powertrain as per some reports earlier, then it's not the usual twin clutch like the regular DCT. It's supposed to have an unusually high first gear as well as a very tall top gear. Also will have s single clutch similar to a manual transmission and the secondary clutch being a plantery gear set. The system is so unique that even Citroen seems to have licensed this gearbox for their small cars.
Well all this is speculative thinking until the car is revealed but hopefully Tata will have something up it's sleeve going by their teasers.
https://www.punchpowertrain.com/en/products/3/dt1
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz DCT Automatic, now launched at Rs. 8.09 lakh-screenshot_202203031239522.png  

damodar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 13:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post

I have driven Tata's 1.2NA(BS IV) for 40,000km before switching to Creta 1.4DCT.

1.2 NA does not have a linear Power delivery in bottom end, with a loaded car and Air con On, you'll feel jerks below 2000 rpm.
Another ex owner of the 1.2 here, apart from above mentioned points, gear ratio on the MT and AMT don't help things either. Hopefully it doesn't end up being the slowest DCT equipped car in the world.
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 16:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
If this gearbox is the DT1 from Punch Powertrain as per some reports earlier, then it's not the usual twin clutch like the regular DCT. It's supposed to have an unusually high first gear as well as a very tall top gear. Also will have s single clutch similar to a manual transmission and the secondary clutch being a plantery gear set. The system is so unique that even Citroen seems to have licensed this gearbox for their small cars.
https://www.punchpowertrain.com/en/products/3/dt1
This DCT is also a wet clutch DCT as mentioned in the Autocar article (audio clip). This white paper has more details on this gearbox.
Technical Specification of 7DT1
Name:  punchpowertrain1.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  48.6 KB
Comparison with traditional 7-speed DCT
Tata Altroz DCT Automatic, now launched at Rs. 8.09 lakh-punchpowertrain2.jpg
Meph1st0 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 21:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Glimpse of the Tata Altroz DCA (Dual Clutch Automatic)

Name:  SmartSelect_20220303211923_Twitter.gif
Views: 1032
Size:  5.52 MB

Last edited by Venkatesh : 3rd March 2022 at 21:21.
Venkatesh is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 23:04   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Attachment 2280104

https://Youtu.be/tyGB4x5wItI
Wow, am I seeing a bigger Infotainment touch screen? Finally it's happening! I think that was a major difference between the TATAs and the rest. Hope the core of this car - the DCT - is great. Looking forward to the reviews. May Tata work out a good petrol engine though sometime ahead.
Old 3rd March 2022, 23:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Feels funny to see a manufacturer marketing an automatic transmission like this in 2022 when some budget premium cars have already started eliminating manuals!

Also, while this has already been said by many BHPians earlier, I will still express my concern over why Tata paired the DCT with the 1.2L N/A when the AMT was already available? IMO this gearbox should've been reserved for the 1.2L Turbo as the N/A is too lackluster to get such complex (and relatively unreliable) gearbox!

When Maruti has decided to go the cost efficient way (not appreciative of this either!) by offering an AMT on the Baleno, here is Tata Motors offering a much more complex tech on a much worse engine! Here's a suggestion to you Tata, if you are so conscious of the "premium" tag, why is the 1.2L still a 3 cylinder and why is the fit and finish still "non-premium"? And if those work, why couldn't an AMT work? {Not like the customers care about AT type more than refinement and quality (even if they do, that anemic engine doesn't require a DCT!)}

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 3rd March 2022 at 23:32.
Old 3rd March 2022, 23:28   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this a true DCT?

From the literature on the manufacturer website , it has only one clutch doing that particular job. The other clutch is a clutch-brake / band as seen on a Planetary gear set hydraulic transmission usually referred to as torque converter gearbox, except that there is no torque converter here.

A hybrid of Planetary gearset + constant mesh gearbox - connected to the engine using 1 wet clutch.

It is however interesting to see a new kind of transmission though.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 12:46   #28
BHPian

Tata is depriving the improved TATA experience to the buyers who never considered TATA at par with Koreans and Japanese by offering non-enthusiastic variants (DCT+Turbo). I myself waited long enough for Nexon or Altroz to be offered in proper AT+Turbo combination. Bought an i20 Turbo+DCT after waiting for over 6 months booking for Kia Sonet Turbo DCT. Mass market or first time buyers which is price sensitive always had TATA on the shorlist but not the premium customer.
Old 4th March 2022, 13:22   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Probably the 1.2NA DCT will establish a price, slowly settling the car in a zone. 1.2 Turbo will arrive slightly later
Now that's "turbo lag"

Anyways, will be interesting to see how fast and smooth this box shifts, can it match DQ200!
anandpadhye is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 13:39   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Now that's "turbo lag"
Good one .

Let alone comparing with DQ200 etc, I'm looking forward to how TaMo advertise it. With something like 85PS 3 Pot NA & the weight of the car - this might be the slowest car to 100 to deploy a rather fancy wet-clutch DCT - in the world even. Will they claim "Slowest 7DCT" crown? The transmission may be fast. The car sure won't be.

Already for such a highly anticipated car variant - they made a hash of the unveil. Put a hasty "science day" tweet, after half of the Science Day was already over. To have a wet-DCT on offer, is still something to boast about. But TaMo didn't think so at all!

Last edited by Reinhard : 4th March 2022 at 13:42.
Reinhard is online now   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed