Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2022, 16:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Altroz DCT Automatic, now launched at Rs. 8.09 lakh

Name:  en20160831VDT1Transmission411jpg1499090128.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  22.7 KB

I believe the gearbox is license manufactured by Kalyani's new facility in Pune. A big stumbling bloc for equipping Indian small cars with good automatics has been the cost factor. Hoping localisation of the DT1 helps resolve the price issue. It's a popular unit with PSA and a myriad of big chinese manufacturers.

The DT1 IF cost effective will be a big upgrade from the plethora of AMT models that are the only choice available for Indian small car buyers. Hopefully this 7 speed DCT combined with Tata's docile NA 1.2 engine might offer a far more comfortable drive than the standard 5 speed manual or AMT. From Punch's product description, the DT1 unit prioritises fuel efficiency over performance.

Big questions for the generic Indian hatchback buyers will be price and fuel efficiency. Maruti has brought out a competitively re-packaged Baleno. Hopefully will find out soon what Tata has up it's sleeve.

Quote:
Punch Powertrain’s Dual Clutch Transmission was specifically developed for the compact vehicle segment. This efficient and compact 7-speed automatic DCT is more cost-effective than other full automatic transmissions, while at the same time offering excellent driving comfort, efficiency and an exceptionally wide ratio coverage.
https://www.punchpowertrain.com/en/products/3/dt1

Last edited by shortbread : 4th March 2022 at 16:03.
shortbread is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 16:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Looks like DT1 is not a traditional dual-clutch automatic like DSG where they have one clutch each for odd and even ratios. Reading more about it, I get the feeling that this is just a minor upgrade over an AMT and not focussed on shift speed like VW's DCT. That could be the reason why this is not even considered for the Turbo petrol engine. This looks like a gearbox meant as an AMT alternative and not a sporty one.

Punch Powerglide has the following sentence on their website about DT1

Quote:
DT1 represents an advantageous alternative for 4ATs and 5(A)MTs.
So this gearbox is in now way comparable to the DSG.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 16:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Punch Powerglide has the following sentence on their website about DT1
This is Punch Powertrain, which should not be confused with the Punch Powerglide used in Hexa.

The expectation from the gearbox should be that being a wet clutch, with fewer moving parts, simpler construction, it has to be more reliable than a DSG. And it should also be smoother, faster, economical, and as reliable as the AMTs Tata has been using.
Meph1st0 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 17:01   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Looks like DT1 is not a traditional dual-clutch automatic like DSG where they have one clutch each for odd and even ratios. Reading more about it, I get the feeling that this is just a minor upgrade over an AMT and not focussed on shift speed like VW's DCT.
Could you please elaborate a bit more about it? Quite intriguing. It is a wet-clutch setup from what's coming out. And the name clearly is "DCA - Dual Clutch Automatic". So I'm hoping it has dual clutches, with a pre-selector logic. If not - its practically just an AMT, then why make it at all? AMT is good enough as it is.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 17:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Altroz DCA dominating the snow-clad roads of Khardung La in Ladakh.

New Teaser

Name:  SmartSelect_20220304173405_Twitter.gif
Views: 728
Size:  3.62 MB

Last edited by Venkatesh : 4th March 2022 at 17:34.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 21:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
This is Punch Powertrain, which should not be confused with the Punch Powerglide used in Hexa.

The expectation from the gearbox should be that being a wet clutch, with fewer moving parts, simpler construction, it has to be more reliable than a DSG. And it should also be smoother, faster, economical, and as reliable as the AMTs Tata has been using.
Yes, I typed the company's name wrong. But I was indeed talking about DT1 gearbox from punch powertrain. It uses a different arrangement compared to traditional DSG/DCTs from VW and Hyundai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Could you please elaborate a bit more about it? Quite intriguing. It is a wet-clutch setup from what's coming out. And the name clearly is "DCA - Dual Clutch Automatic". So I'm hoping it has dual clutches, with a pre-selector logic. If not - its practically just an AMT, then why make it at all? AMT is good enough as it is.
Yes, it does have two clutches and a preselction logic. But it is different from VW's implementation that uses a single gear per ratio. I am not sure how to articulate it better. But punch powertrain advertises this gearbox as a cost effective alternative to traditional DCT and an improvement over 4AT and 5 AMT. This makes me believe it is better than AMT, but not in the league of traditional DCTs from Hyundai and VW.

I am reading between the lines here, not talking based on shift speed numbers. Since the manufacturer itself advertises it as an advantage over 4AT and 5 AMT, I feel there is something lacking here compared to traditional DCT. If it performs as good as DSG, then it makes DSG obsolete simply because of the cost advantage.

My reference from Punch powertrain website below.

https://www.punchpowertrain.com/en/products/3/dt1

Tata Altroz DCT Automatic, now launched at Rs. 8.09 lakh-screenshot_20220304205450_samsung-internet.jpg

Last edited by padmrajravi : 4th March 2022 at 21:29.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 08:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Does TML hinting from the ad, Altroz DCT to have exhaust note? Or it’s just sound effects to keep the ad exciting.
arvindmanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 08:04   #38
BHPian

Unlike a traditional DCT with two sets of clutches each connected to a two sets of gears (one clutch to odd and the other to even), DT1 will have just one set of gears (4 gears). The second set of ratios is derived from the planetary gear set. In principle, 8 gears could be derived out of this combination. I would also assume that the ratio between 1&2, 4&5 and 6&7 would be identical.
Also the 200Nm torque limit would mean that this transmission can be used for Tiago (petrol and diesel), Altroz (petrol and diesel), and Nexon petrol.
Name:  DT1_gear.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  71.3 KB
Meph1st0 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 20:34   #39

I think this transmission is all new for any car in India. This is not a fancy but worrisome DSG/DCT and not poor man's AT AMT too.
I ended up in the following video link when trying to know more about the DT1. For technical stuff, fast forward to 18th minute. I will be very happy if this becomes successful with underpowered low torque petrol altroz(DT1 is designed for that) interms of cost, performance and reliability. Our dream for better AT under a million bucks may become true.

Senpran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 13:47   #40
BHPian

It looks like the new Altroz trims with DCA also come with an updated infotainment system with a larger screen! (Source: gaadiwala)

I hope this is true. The size, quality and feel of the 7 inch screens always felt suboptimal to me. If they do end up matching Baleno's 9inch screen, this is a great update. (I hope they bring this new infotainment screen to the other models too)

Considering how Tata drip feeds details of upcoming launches, am excited to see what else they have lined up for the new launch.

Any idea when the actual launch is?
Old 7th March 2022, 15:11   #41
BHPian

Hi. Is this a new tech as compared to the dry DCT type? I wonder why no other manufacturer has this tech.

Let's hope Tata has done enough testing before introducing the product. There are no reviews as well about this wet DCT and Tata Altroz. Shouldn't they have created a media buzz with positive reviews before opening the bookings.
Old 7th March 2022, 16:47   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Glimpse of the Tata Altroz DCA (Dual Clutch Automatic)
Tata Altroz automatic to get a larger infotainment screen.

Name:  20220307041641_Altroz_COLLAGE_FINAL.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  20220307043248_Tata_Altroz_DCA_screen.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  47.2 KB

Quote:
The larger touchscreen will only be available on the higher variants, while the lower trims are expected to continue with the same 7-inch infotainment system.
Quote:
Tata Motors has also confirmed that the Altroz DCA will be sold in XT, XZ and the XZ+ variants along with a separate dark edition line-up.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 7th March 2022 at 16:48.
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 20:27   #43
BHPian

Another teaser. Listen to the exhaust note. This one definitely sounds different than that of regular Altroz. It give a (false)feeling of powerful car.

K_Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 22:23   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
Another teaser. Listen to the exhaust note. This one definitely sounds different than that of regular Altroz. It give a (false)feeling of powerful car.
Creative liberty, rest assured no Tata motors engine sounds like that. At least not stock.

It seems obvious the sound designer has let imagination fly when we hear tarmac tyre squeal on a dirt road!
shortbread is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 11:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
Another teaser. Listen to the exhaust note.
This artificially generated sound seems to be made for the teaser. It is absolutely not in sync with the movement or the "hypothetical" gearchanges of the car in motion! And the wheelspin noises are quite amusing to say the least.

Quoting the immortal Shakespearean lines from Macbeth: "All sound and fury, signifying nothing" - hope the pretty Altroz gets some "go" to match the "show"

The last Tata to have a genuine, meaty exhaust note was the Tiago JTP.
RIP

Last edited by arjab : 8th March 2022 at 11:10.
arjab is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks