Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2022, 14:56   #76
BHPian

re: Tata Altroz DCT Automatic, now launched at Rs. 8.09 lakh

Can someone please let me know what is full form of DCA? Tata is saying that it is 35% lighter than conventional DCT.
Old 21st March 2022, 15:11   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon View Post
Can someone please let me know what is full form of DCA? Tata is saying that it is 35% lighter than conventional DCT.
DCA = Dual clutch automatic I believe.
Old 21st March 2022, 15:30   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
However, Magnite is one star lesser than Altroz in the GNCAP rating, but you can take your call whether you want 4* + ESC or 5* without ESC.
Five star cars are tested for side impact as well.
ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 17:02   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
However, Magnite is one star lesser than Altroz in the GNCAP rating, but you can take your call whether you want 4* + ESC or 5* without ESC.
Altroz's brochure mentions presence of Corner Stability Control. I'm not sure whether both ESC and CSC are same or one is superior to other.
bwildrd#1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 17:55   #80
Senior - BHPian

People complaining about the lack of DCT on the iturbo - in my opinion, the iturbo (and to a certain extent, this dct) is a tactical product that exists only because of tata's lack of vision. I don't know who decided that a crippled engine (1.2l 3 pot) and a crippled gearbox (ta65) were enough, but apparently in their universe that's the 'gold standard' for a 10l hatch. I'm sure they were in an Indica hangover, and I don't mean the Tata variety.

I was recently looking to buy a car in this segment, and drove the Altroz and Punch because my wifey was very insistent on a car with good NCAP ratings. I drove both the grand i10 and i20 kappa and turbo along with a couple of cars from this segment in the used market. The Altroz iturbo was the worst of the lot. It was beaten in driveablity by the Grand i10, Santro, it's own sibling the Punch.

The i20 turbo was explosive. What an engine! I was reminded of driving my Civic Si, while the Altroz felt just like my 15 year old Indica, right down to the random jerks when you accelerate and lift off. The Hyundais offered a much more smoother 4 cylinder.

I ultimately bought a 5 year old liva 1.2 petrol NA because to me, it beat the Altroz in everything that mattered to me, apart from a few new features like push start, rear camera etc. I was so underwhelmed by the lack of perfomance of the iturbo that i requested a second test drive after driving the punch, and after others suggested the td car might have issues, a third TD from a second dealership.

If you were into gaming 15 years ago, you might remember the 'leafblower' Nvidia 5800 ultra graphics card. Nvidia were complacent and AMD caught them napping. They had to stick on a humongous fan on the 5800 to get it to perform anywhere close to the competition, and even then, it was barely enough, with spotty reliability at best.

Buying a turbo car comes at a cost. When you buy it, and when your maintain it, because they have more parts, the mechanical components are subjected to more strain. It's diesel car owners put up with it because Na diesel engines are dreadful and turbos give you that addictive kick of torque. Petrol car owners, if they are coughing up extra for a turbo engine, and a DCT , a reasonable assumption would be that you're looking for reasonably good performance.

If that is so, a DCT iturbo is never going to be that car. Go look at the i20 nline. Yes, I imagine an iturbo DCT would be cheaper, and would be more convenient to drive than the abomination Hyundai calls an 'imt'. It would be the sequel to the original "sports" car that nobody asked for - the indica xeta sport
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ta-sports.html (New Indica Xeta Sports)

Unless for some weird reason you want all the complexity, NVH and cost of a performance car with the performance of a regular 1.2 engine, an iturbo + DCT is not for you. To paraphrase Obi Wan Kenobi, this is not the car you're looking for.

Last edited by greenhorn : 21st March 2022 at 18:01.
greenhorn is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 17:56   #81
BHPian

Do we know when media reviews would be out for this? Is there a blackout period or as and when test drive vehicles are available, reviews would be out?
Old 21st March 2022, 19:51   #82
Senior - BHPian

With prices starting at Rs 8.10 lakh, the Tata Altroz DCA undercuts several of its rivals. Here's how it stacks up on the price graph.

Tata Altroz DCT Automatic, now launched at Rs. 8.09 lakh-20220321_195051.jpg

Source : ACI
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 21:27   #83
Senior - BHPian

Wow, a much needed wet-clutch DCT - which could probably be very reliable on our hot, humid, and dusty roads. Kudos to Tata for bringing it!

But I cannot help but wonder about the mess that Tata Motors' marketing team is making!!

Figure this out -

Altroz gets a wonderful AT box, but with a lame 1.2 NA engine!

Nexon gets a nice 120 hp Turbo petrol engine but with a lame AMT automatic!

Nexon shares its cheap-looking instrument console with the Tiago, while the cheaper Punch gets a much more modern unit from Altroz!

You will just have to choose which compromise you are willing to make
aravind.anand is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 21:36   #84
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Altroz DCT Automatic launched at Rs 8.09 lakh

Wondering if this will be like the erstwhile Skoda Laura 1.9L where the gearbox outshone the engine and actually gave it a respectable 0 - 100 time. We're driving the Altroz DCT this week & our review will be out when the embargo ends next week. Till then
GTO is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 09:28   #85
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz DCT Automatic, now launched at Rs. 8.09 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post

Nexon shares its cheap-looking instrument console with the Tiago, while the cheaper Punch gets a much more modern unit from Altroz!
Well this might be Tata testing the waters by mating the DCA with a lower powered engine with lower numbers.
For all we might know the Altroz auto might have lower number when compared to the Nexon AMT.

They might be having a test vehicle with the DCA + Nexon petrol/diesel too.

But the best combination i believe would be Altroz Diesel + DCA.

With regards to the head unit and instrumentation console - the facelifts might get them.
callmeneo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 09:43   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildrd#1 View Post
Altroz's brochure mentions presence of Corner Stability Control.
They are not. CSC is a proprietary Tata system active only while braking. For example, the Nexon is sold with both CSC and a separate ESC system.

I'm also given to understand CSC is more of a driver aid for cornering. ESC is not that. ESC is a crash avoidance system to help the driver maintain control of direction in an emergency swerving manoeuvre.

For example, the Punch also gets CSC as standard but this is what Global NCAP said in their press release:
Name:  Screenshot 20220322 at 9.39.17 AM.png
Views: 463
Size:  78.6 KB

As an organisation Global NCAP has been advocating fitment of ESC for years now. It's just that the India crash test project wasn't supposed to continue this long so they didn't plan ahead and are still using a very old (2013) Latin NCAP protocol for evaluation which doesn't include ESC. I'm sure they're actually disappointed that many four and five star cars don't offer ESC, though the ratings can't reflect it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Five star cars are tested for side impact as well.
It would have made a difference before 2019. But since then the Indian Government has applied a legislative side impact which is very similar to the R95 test that Global NCAP requires for five stars. It's a very basic test which can be passed by keeping injury measures below UN limits. It's not formally the NCAP side impact that other NCAPs use. Global NCAP will introduce that this July. It's possible for a car to pass R95 but still do badly in the NCAP side impact, like this Peugeot 208.

Of course, you should still look for a good frontal impact rating.

Under the new protocols, cars without even optional ESC won't be able to score above two stars for adults. Many cars will be affected: the Punch, Altroz, Amaze, Jazz, Kiger, Tigor, City, Triber, etc.

Last edited by ron178 : 22nd March 2022 at 10:13.
ron178 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 10:12   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I think it is decent pricing. To buy a DCT top end for 11.2 lakhs on road is good value, if you don't care much about performance.
Why on earth would you buy a DCT if you don't care about performance? Even this DCT will be more complex to maintain than a TC/CVT in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post

You will just have to choose which compromise you are willing to make
Well said, Tata product planning has always been shaky. Remember they initially gave Altroz a 5 speed instead of the Nexon 6 speed to "differentiate".
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 10:16   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildrd#1 View Post
Altroz's brochure mentions presence of Corner Stability Control. I'm not sure whether both ESC and CSC are same or one is superior to other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
They are not. CSC is a proprietary Tata system active only while braking. For example, the Nexon is sold with both CSC and a separate ESC system.

I'm also given to understand CSC is more of a driver aid for cornering....
CSC is a part of the ABS system. Think of it as a version of EBD which helps distribute the braking force when braking in corners to keep the car stable.

ESP / ESC can come into play even without driver brake input and that is why ESP is such a life saver. You just need to give the right steering input and the car will respond (within reasonable limits of course).

Since the Altroz DCA does not have ESP, I am interested to see if they have managed hill hold control, as otherwise the car is going to roll back on slopes !
fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 10:35   #89
BHPian

Any info on the Fuel Efficiancy figures of the DCA transmission? How different is it from the Manual's FE?
Old 22nd March 2022, 11:03   #90

As far as I understand ESC (electronic stability control) and hill start assist are two different and independent things. You can have a car with either of these or both of these. Hill start assist has at least three components or more like the hill start pressure regulator/maintainer, inclination sensor and gear lever position sensor and these sensors and controls have nothing to do with ESC or electronic stability control. Some countries like those in Scandinavia have had mandatory electronic stability control in all cars sold there since at least 2006. This resulted mainly from exceptional stability provided by ESC on icy and slippery roads there. It has saved many a lives. The hill start assist has become very common only recently. I am surprised that a modern car like Altroz does not come with EsC in all models.
Raj55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed