Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2022, 15:41   #16
BHPian

Re: Rumour : VW Polo could return as an import in GTI form

If the GTI comes or not, I don't see any reason why VW shouldn't bring the new polo to India. With the success they saw with the same generation of polo for over a decade, I think bringing the new polo under sub 4m and launching it here makes a lot of sense. They have the powertrain, they have the platform, how hard it could be to do that.
Old 12th March 2022, 19:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

IMHO this seems like one other string pulled from VW Indian top brass to stay relevant in the hatch segment. Just does not make any sense to me at least.

The last time VW tried this stunt, Octave vRS became a VFM and the Polo GTI was almost auctioned off. As many have already predicted, a CBU hatchback at 40-45 lakhs sticker price will only have takers in the form or petrol heads.

OT - I am wondering how awesome it would be for the Kushaq, Taigun, Slavia and Virtus if VW had retained the 1.5 TDI engine with BS6 changes. VW probably wouldn't need these gimmicks of "Evaluating a rumour"!! I think a petrol SUV/Sedan will have fewer takers when the competition offers a diesel engine, especially when the maintenance and parts are also not as "cheap & readily available".

Last edited by Vik0728 : 12th March 2022 at 19:10.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 21:23   #18
BHPian

People are already buying CBU version, this news isn't going to make much of a difference to such folks. Regular joe like us won't buy it no matter how trigger happy we become.

The price tag isn't justified, there are much better options available without compromising on reliability and expensive repairs.
durvient is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2022, 23:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
...Volkswagen India is mulling the launch of the new Polo GTI under the government’s 2,500-unit homologation-free rule for CBU imports.
Almost all the comments seem to have missed this - or at least what it means!

Remember T-Roc, the awesome CBU that was sold for 20 lakhs? That came to our shores following this route IIRC.

Fingers crossed, this will be another surprise!
Old 12th March 2022, 23:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

They should just bring in the Golf GTI or the Golf R as a halo product instead of playing around with yet another Polo. I think more people will be interested despite the higher premiums due to it being bigger and different from the regular polo.
Cresterk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 07:53   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
They should just bring in the Golf GTI or the Golf R as a halo product instead of playing around with yet another Polo. I think more people will be interested despite the higher premiums due to it being bigger and different from the regular polo.
Exactly

Golf GTI will have takers as it is entirely a different product.
josetom89 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 09:36   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIV17 View Post
If the GTI comes or not, I don't see any reason why VW shouldn't bring the new polo to India. With the success they saw with the same generation of polo for over a decade, I think bringing the new polo under sub 4m and launching it here makes a lot of sense. They have the powertrain, they have the platform, how hard it could be to do that.
It is going to cost a lot to re-engineer the new Polo from MQB-A0 international platform. The features for pedestrians safety and users safety is embedded with the design of car. After removing all features that are not common or mandatory in India the car will still cost starting 14-15 lakhs here. Which people will not like it.

Polo, Golf, Jetta, Passat and Arteon are generational cars from VW and they don't want to spend to deviate from original platforms.
pratyushpks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 12:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
+1 for Golf to be brought to India (even the regular variants). There is a market there.
Old 13th March 2022, 18:05   #24
BHPian

Rather than bringing the VW polo GTI as a stand-alone import, VW should seriously consider getting the POLO back on track with MQB AO-IN platform and it should be the next gen.
Polo GTI will only get some takers if it’s priced around 25L.
Have always wondered a lot about VW not introducing the GOLF in India since it sells in huge numbers in the European markets and is a well rounded package all together.
Old 13th March 2022, 18:36   #25
BHPian

Instead of bringing the Polo GTI at some insane price brackets, VW may think of introducing the new generation of Polo here in India. Unlike in the earlier days, price doesn't differentiate the product sales these days. If that's the case then Kia won't be able to sell their products over say, Maruti Alto. Even the Polo Cross Over Taigun is selling in good numbers even with an unreasonable price tag.

I am really confident that VW can introduce the Polo under Taigun. Even if they sell around 1500 units a month, it will be still worthwhile.

Polo GTI, Golf GTI, T ROC, etc can come simultaneously and co-exist as they have different customer bases. As of now, it's time for VW to bring the New Polo without much of any deletion specifically for the Indian market. Let us have really good cars.

Also, why not Golf in India? Those in VW India think that Golf won't sell in India, needs some reality check. It's a perfect family + fun hatchback not many can offer.

Last edited by igemini : 13th March 2022 at 18:39.
Old 13th March 2022, 20:30   #26
BHPian

If VW India is thinking of taking advantage of the 2500 CBU per year rule again, I would humbly urge them to bring the Polo GTI at 25L and the Golf GTI at 35L. It would be a great way to Amp up the GTI sub brand and create an affordable alternative for Mercedes AMG and BMW M.

Hyundai must honestly do the same with the i20N and i30N. They are in need of a spruce up given their current situation.The market is ready and there are buyers willing to pay that sum for some incredible performance with decent luxury.
Pyrotek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 09:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post
If VW India is thinking of taking advantage of the 2500 CBU per year rule again, I would humbly urge them to bring the Polo GTI at 25L and the Golf GTI at 35L. It would be a great way to Amp up the GTI sub brand and create an affordable alternative for Mercedes AMG and BMW M.

Hyundai must honestly do the same with the i20N and i30N. They are in need of a spruce up given their current situation.The market is ready and there are buyers willing to pay that sum for some incredible performance with decent luxury.
Agree! If the same VW group can offer the RS, GT3, STO high performance range from its stable for those who can afford them, its high time the rest of us get access to affordable sports cars from the same group, and not just a limited run, but something one can plan and save for! I just acquired the last of the Polos available here in manual guise to buy and keep forever, but a GTi would be awesome to have in the horizon.

Fiat brought us closest to a serial production hot hatch, the 1.4L Abarth Punto, and we need more manufacturers to offer these products for the small niche of enthusiasts as these would be second cars for a lot of us, increasing brand loyalty, even with small numbers sold.

Last edited by Cayman360 : 14th March 2022 at 09:50. Reason: Addition
Cayman360 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 12:49   #28
BHPian

If VW do decide to bring the Polo GTI to India, they really should look into bringing it as CKD and not CBU so as to keep the costing down, else these GTI's are going to cost a bomb. Knowing VW, i am sure the pricing will be a shocker
Old 14th March 2022, 15:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igemini View Post
Also, why not Golf in India? Those in VW India think that Golf won't sell in India, needs some reality check. It's a perfect family + fun hatchback not many can offer.
Golf is (very) expensive. If by some miracle it reaches our shores at the same price no one is going to drop that much money on a hatchback same size as Taigun. I don't think our market has warmed up to idea of premium hatchbacks that cost as much as say CR-V or Jeep Compass.

After direct conversion of prices in Europe to INR base model is ~25L INR. By the time VW has jumped all the hoops to bring the car here, it will balloon past Octavia territory which incidentally has the same platform as Golf. That platform (MQB Evo) is just too expensive for India and that is why the low cost A0-IN is in place.

May be one day Brazilian market Polo comes here? But they have clearly denied the possibility and it is based on A0 platform too. Hopefully they can develop a Polo on A0-IN, retire the A0 Brazilian model and export new A0-IN model from India to everywhere. Fat chance.
amol4184 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 03:53   #30
BHPian

I love hot hatches.

But in this case for the amount spent, I would prefer something like a BMW 330i or to be more specific rwd or awd in that power range. 350nm of torque (in agressive and peaky output) is a fair bit to control if you like deep stabs at the throttle.

I have a stage 2 Passat 1.8tsi. Putting out around 210hp (Only tune no exhaust or filter). All front wheel drive. Spins even at even the slightest hint of pedal modulation. Corner entry, mid corner, corner exist .. hell even on a straight well paved road it spins. This is on stock 215 perelli p7s.

I also have a 530i with the n52, 250 bhp and 300 NM stock. Inline 6 super smooth n/a engine, smooth power is so much easier to go wide open throttle. No spin, no killing front tyres - easy to use power.

Also, have a X3 3.0d and that has ruined me. Xdrive and 250 bhp and 560 NM of torque. No spin no drama just hooks and goes. I mean that has has zero spin, all grip and all traction.

Coming back to 200 bhp in a fwd is a bit scary on normal or twisty roads. This might just be me because of the rwd and awd cars I've gotten used to. Lost some of the throttle sensitivity.

But usable power matters a lot in daily driving pleasure.

IMO

Cheers
Thegermanbadger is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks