Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2022, 11:49   #16
BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
It could be the 10.5" infotainment system adopted from Corolla Cross!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
That dashboard screen looks pretty big, minimum 10 Inch I feel.
Hopefully it is only a telemetry screen and not the actual screen that will be provided in the production vehicle.

The larger the screen gets, the more distracting it is for the driver, when some moving objects flash on the screen while driving, and it attracts the peripheral vision, which can cause momentary distraction and in a worst case scenario, an accident.
At the very least, the larger a screen gets, the lower down the front console, it should be installed, so as not to get the driver distracted and also reduce his view out of the windscreen.
kosjam is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 09:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Re-posting this rumour reported by ET Now in late October about the new Maruti/Toyota SUVs and their NCAP performance:
Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-fdfbxawxoaabs7u.jpeg

Watch the broadcast

If it's true I hope Toyota initiates safety testing with Global NCAP (under the new protocols, I reckon), because they have sponsored a test in the past and I'm confident Maruti won't.

Last edited by ron178 : 14th March 2022 at 10:01. Reason: broken URL tag
ron178 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 13:07   #18
BHPian

The silhouette reminds me of the Mahindra Komodo concept showcased a while ago.
Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 1330
Size:  29.2 KB

Last edited by manson : 25th March 2022 at 09:15.
abhi_ank is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 14:33   #19
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Re-posting this rumour reported by ET Now in late October about the new Maruti/Toyota SUVs and their NCAP performance:
Attachment 2284541

Watch the broadcast

If it's true I hope Toyota initiates safety testing with Global NCAP (under the new protocols, I reckon), because they have sponsored a test in the past and I'm confident Maruti won't.
Maruti MD's statement and ET Now's report seem to be in contradiction here. Since Maruti and Toyota are developing this SUV jointly, both versions will have the same safety rating. But if Maruti wants to meet only Indian regulations, why would they invest in a stronger built vehicle? I feel that on one hand they are making these statements to defend their smaller hatchbacks and on the other making safer cars like Brezza (and supposedly S cross) to meet the competition. By the way, he says that European and Indian regulations are same for frontal and side impact. Is it really so? If yes, then are we wrongly focused on GNCAP while all these cars are safe according to Indian/European norms? I am quoting the MD here for ease of reading

"The Indian regulations and the European regulations are exactly the same in frontal offset norm, side impact norm and pedestrian impact norm. India is at par with Europe in crash test norms and we are already there (meet the norms),” Kenichi Ayukawa, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, MSIL
sbm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 15:02   #20
BHPian

Having seen what Maruti had to do the 2022 Baleno facelift (thanks to the competition!) I have high hopes in this car. A 4-star crash worthiness and a fit/finish/finesse just as good as the Baleno will give the Koreans and the fake (made in India) Europeans a hard hit under the belt.
kpkeerthi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 10:03   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's going to be like Dominos trying to sell you a gourmet pizza! Not impossible, but not easy either. Maruti has never had the in-house engineering expertise, interior quality, engine range (1.5L NA won't cut it here and there's no diesel), automatic gearboxes, NVH package etc. suitable for a 15 - 20 lakh car. Maruti & Suzuki have traditionally been good at smaller, economical cars only. Cost-cutting and value-engineering is in their blood. The S-Cross was perhaps their best shot and it surprised all of us with its "Euro" feel, but that was more because of partnerships than anything else.

Will be fun to see. Do I think Maruti is up to the challenge? Surely. The 15 - 20 lakh segment has big volumes & fat profits, a rare combination. But it's not going to be easy for Maruti.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 19:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

I was actually under the impression that Toyota is handling the development of this model, and hence the manufacturing of both the versions ( Toyota and Suzuki ) would happen at the Bangalore plant.
However these test mules seem to have been spotted near NCR ( or did I get that wrong )?
Old 15th March 2022, 20:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

I do not think this is a all new car developed under Toyota assistance!

This will most likely be the major facelift for the current 4th gen Vitara, rather than an all new car or platform. Considering we already have prototypes on the road the theory holds more credence. Being primarily aimed for the European markets, the current Vitara already scored 5 stars in Euro NCAP tests back in 2015.

This is an easy launch for Maruti as it uses the same platform as the S-Cross albeit in a larger body. In this case it will be manufactured at Gurgaon. Unlikely TKM will start a monocoque production line when its line up is primarily body on frame models. Plus Maruti currently has spare production capacity.

This is a win for all parties concerned with minimal capital exposure. The current Vitara is already 7+ years old in global markets, so it's time for an overhaul anyways. Timing an updated Vitara concurrently with this car hits two birds with one stone.

In terms of powertrains this Vitara already has a Euro 6 compliant 1.5 full hybrid petrol readily available. Again Toyota has little to do as this a Suzuki developed powertrain, combining the 1.5-litre petrol engine and a 33bhp electric motor fed by a compact 0.84kWh battery.

I doubt Toyota is really involved with the development, although they will continue to sell re-badged versions in their showrooms.

Last edited by shortbread : 15th March 2022 at 20:28.
Old 16th March 2022, 00:58   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
I do not think this is a all new car developed under Toyota assistance!...This will most likely be the major facelift for the current 4th gen Vitara, rather than an all new car or platform. ...I doubt Toyota is really involved with the development, although they will continue to sell re-badged versions in their showrooms.
With a heavy heart, have to agree with this.

Somehow, the test mules give that Suzuki vibe. Have to see what the 2.0l petrol and hybrid engine rumours work out from Toyota's side, or are they for the B560 MPV only.
Old 16th March 2022, 03:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
With a heavy heart, have to agree with this.

Somehow, the test mules give that Suzuki vibe. Have to see what the 2.0l petrol and hybrid engine rumours work out from Toyota's side, or are they for the B560 MPV only.
The current Vitara is a good package with bland looks. Maruti can revive it with a more attractive design, inside and out. Using a current platform enables them to price this car competitively. I think it's a well thought out strategy.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 03:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
The current Vitara is a good package with bland looks. Maruti can revive it with a more attractive design, inside and out. Using a current platform enables them to price this car competitively. I think it's a well thought out strategy.
Totally agree with you. Rather I feel Maruti dropped the ball there by not introducing Vitara back when it launched S Cross. That gave Koreans free ride for last 5-6 years.
Old 16th March 2022, 07:44   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I do not think this is a all new car developed under Toyota assistance!

This will most likely be the major facelift for the current 4th gen Vitara, rather than an all new car or platform. Considering we already have prototypes on the road the theory holds more credence. Being primarily aimed for the European markets, the current Vitara already scored 5 stars in Euro NCAP tests back in 2015.

I doubt Toyota is really involved with the development, although they will continue to sell re-badged versions in their showrooms.
This car is not a facelift and is not being made in Gurgaon. It is a Toyota manufactured product. The platform will be of course based on the current S Cross. It will in all likelihood employ the TNGA Hybrid set up as well where Toyota's expertise is likely to come in. The other engines will be from Suzuki stable. As I said before, this vehicle is an S Cross replacement and is bigger than international Vitara. The moniker on the car may be Vitara or S Cross - That I don't know as it's a purely marketing decision. Toyota is likely to sell its own badge version of the same as well with bigger visual differences than Baleno- Glanza.
The current Vitara for International markets is going to exist on a standalone basis and may undergo major facelifts in future. (like the International S Cross and unlike new Baleno which is a new car even though T BHP Mods disagree)

Last edited by Carma2017 : 16th March 2022 at 07:46.
Carma2017 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 08:09   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
---

This is an easy launch for Maruti as it uses the same platform as the S-Cross albeit in a larger body. In this case it will be manufactured at Gurgaon. Unlikely TKM will start a monocoque production line when its line up is primarily body on frame models. Plus Maruti currently has spare production capacity.

--
Toyota has already commenced trial run of its assembly line readiness for the SUV.

Quote:
As part of the plan, called the "Big Leap" internally, the maker of the Innova and Fortuner has shut its India facility for over a month starting Christmas to recast it for higher output and make way for the production of a mainstream SUV (codenamed D22) to challenge Hyundai Creta and a multipurpose vehicle (codenamed 560B). The local unit of Toyota is scheduled to reopen the plant near Bengaluru on February 4.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th March 2022 at 08:11.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 08:41   #29
BHPian

I got to slightly differ from the other's views here.

Toyota being a pinnacle car maker with access to huge funding and highest number of r&d patents under is belt , still partnering with Maruti to launch cars in India is simply beyond my thinking.

They have excellent and highly successful models abroad like Camry, RAV4, Highlander, Corolla and it's cross version. They can easily launch Corolla cross here which should be able to give Koreans a run for their money. For a little higher segment to compete with likes of Tucson, they can launch RAV4 but for some reason they are just not at all concerned about Indian market.

If I have to buy a new Toyota, I have to be really careful from now on that whether parts in my car are from Maruti or from Toyota. Sadly even the build quality of the cars will be 0 star like Maruti levels. Looks like it's the end of the days for Toyota's selling point of quality, reliability and durability. Now you will get an unsafe mediocre quality car with Toyota logo which to be honest is making customers fool with their hard earned money. I for one will never want to enter a Toyota showroom only to be fooled into buying a Maruti and being ripped off my expectations of getting a high quality reliable Toyota.
pta320 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 07:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

This product seems to be the SCross replacement, irrespective of what its called. It looks like a crossover, not a SUV. It seems to be longer and wider than the current SCross, but the height / stance is simply not there to be labelled as a SUV. Good to see them putting in efforts to improve the safety ratings.

Last edited by longhorn : 17th March 2022 at 07:40.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks