Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2022, 13:24   #436
Team-BHP Support

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

I have a hunch.

Since Maruti cannot sell a 20+ lakh car (even from a Nexa showroom) and Toyota is used to selling expensive cars with fat margins:

- Maruti will sell mild hybrids only
- Toyota will sell full hybrids only

Possible?

Last edited by Eddy : 27th June 2022 at 14:46.
Eddy is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 13:38   #437
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I have a hunch.

Since Maruti cannot sell a 20+ lakh car (even from a Nexa showroom) and Toyota is used to fat margins:

Possible?
With this, there is no gains for Suzuki. Platform is mostly theirs, mild hybrid engine, Interiors all from Suzuki and only Full hybrid is from Toyota. If Suzuki cannot sell full hybrid, they gain nothing.
Old 27th June 2022, 13:41   #438
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
With this, there is no gains for Suzuki. Platform is mostly theirs, mild hybrid engine, Interiors all from Suzuki and only Full hybrid is from Toyota. If Suzuki cannot sell full hybrid, they gain nothing.
Not necessarily.

In all probabilities, the mild hybrid will be the majority selling variant. And MUL is a champion of volume-selling-low-margins. I see no other way out, except this division of roles.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 13:41   #439
BHPian

Quote:
I have a hunch.

Since Maruti cannot sell a 20+ lakh car (even from a Nexa showroom) and Toyota is used to fat margins:

Possible?
Even I have a hunch that's how it's going to be. Also, it's a good strategy to differentiate products, each one gets something unique for the consumer and when they stand side by side, a Toyota badge would scream premium pricing for full hybrids.
Everyone would be happy.
Old 27th June 2022, 13:43   #440
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetanM6 View Post
Disappointed with the infotainment screen .Was hoping that infotainment screen from Toyota Corolla cross or Yaris cross would make way to this car .
I don't think Suzuki's infotainment systems are now even a tad bit obsolete, heck, I found the latest one to be at par with the A4's
Old 27th June 2022, 13:45   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not necessarily.

In all probabilities, the mild hybrid will be the majority selling variant. And MUL is a champion of volume-selling-low-margins. I see no other way out, except this division of roles.
Agree but then mild hybrid could have been achieved even without Toyota? From marketing perspective this makes lot of sense. But when toyota-suzuki agreed to share , Suzuki will be expecting to gain some tech from Toyota?
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 14:41   #442
BHPian

Having driven the Camry recently I can certainly vouch for Toyota's expertise in hybrid technology. If Toyota manages to price it attractively then it will surely be a blockbuster. It will give the diesels and EV's a run for their money IMO.
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 14:53   #443
Senior - BHPian

Toyota, Suzuki mid-size SUV production to begin in August

Maruti Suzuki and Toyota have confirmed that the production of the new mid-size SUVs will begin in August. The SUVs will be manufactured at Toyota’s Bidadi plant in Karnataka.

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-self-charging-hybrid-electric-teaser.jpg

The official statement reveals that the new models will be equipped with mild-hybrid and strong-hybrid powertrains developed by Suzuki and Toyota, respectively.

Toyota’s version of the Creta-rivalling SUV will be unveiled on July 1, 2022. It is expected to be called the Urban Cruiser Hyryder. Rumours suggest that Maruti Suzuki’s version could be called Vitara. Both SUVs are believed to be based on Suzuki’s Global-C platform.

The two companies have also announced that the new models will be exported to markets outside India, including Africa.

Source: ET Auto

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 15:10   #444
BHPian

Quote:
I have a hunch.

Since Maruti cannot sell a 20+ lakh car (even from a Nexa showroom) and Toyota is used to selling expensive cars with fat margins:

Possible?
Possible but not probable.

Suzuki in its pitch to suppliers at their internal conference has already informed they will be selling Toyota hybrid tech in their upcoming vehicles from 2022 itself. It is the volumes of Suzuki that will make the localisation of Tech possible. So, there is no question of Suzuki not being party to sales of Strong hybrids.
This is the only car that can get it thus as the Brezza does not have strong hybrid for sure and Alto sure as hell won't get it.

The marketing machinery of Toyota and Suzuki work in different ways and they will find ways to differentiate. A more probable scenario is that Toyota only sells strong Hybrid vehicles and Suzuki sells both mild and Strong hybrids. Time will tell how things play out.
Carma2017 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 15:12   #445
Senior - BHPian

Its Toyota's call, but why make the new car such a mouthful to name and write ? "Urban Cruiser HyRyder" ? This is just about as cheesy as a "Brit Dynamic Gloster/Astor with Internet Inside" .
Just HyRyder would be good enough. Urban Cruiser isnt exactly a precious legacy name for them to carry over. In fact most people might think this is just another higher variant of the regular Urban Cruiser

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 27th June 2022 at 15:15.
fhdowntheline is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 15:47   #446
BHPian

Thinking about it. The leaked image was a red car whereas teasers are of blue car. Not sure whether that was a deliberate attempt
VicksJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 17:32   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicksJ View Post
Thinking about it. The leaked image was a red car whereas teasers are of blue car. Not sure whether that was a deliberate attempt
The leaked image is likely the mild hybrid version (no blue Toyota logo). Maybe promo images will use red for mild hybrid and blue for strong hybrid.
Astargea is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 17:49   #448
Senior - BHPian

I cannot recall the last time a new Toyota product got me this excited. Finally an all-new product from Toyota made specifically for our market that is exciting and premium too, the Etios was a disaster on that front. Bring it on Toyota, charge a small premium over the Koreans, and you can still get away with it. Just don't get greedy, this is not the Innova/Fortuner territory to play it your way.

Meanwhile, Honda is still evaluating the HR-V, 5 years since they started the evaluation
Seriously, it's HyTime they completed that evaluation and went to actual development!

Last edited by aravind.anand : 27th June 2022 at 17:54.
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 19:31   #449
BHPian

What really interests me more than anything is how Toyota is going to market the Strong hybrid as a Silent Drive. Going by my experience of Yaris Cross which has the same hybrid set up, the Car is pretty noisy at higher speeds and is anything but silent.
Carma2017 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 19:41   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Going by my experience of Yaris Cross which has the same hybrid set up, the Car is pretty noisy at higher speeds and is anything but silent.
Yes checked few videos on YouTube and the engine did make considerable noise when it switched from EV to ICE. It’s not Honda city hybrid level is what I could gauge .
ChetanM6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks