Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2022, 09:01   #826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
This is nothing but the new generation S-Cross. Auto-car India almost got their rendering correct and hats off to them

The new generation S-Cross itself is just a re-worked version of the previous generation S-Cross.

Is this based on heartect platform or the Global-C platform?
True, even the USB socket and the boot light is very much similar to the one in the SCross.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-c2c5f26799664636b82869500e88affe.jpeg  

rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 09:30   #827
BHPian

Re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Quote:
This is nothing but the new generation S-Cross. Auto-car India almost got their rendering correct and hats off to them

The new generation S-Cross itself is just a re-worked version of the previous generation S-Cross.

I would place my money on the Vitara . In fact I am also have my doubts about the TOYOTA hybrid since Suzuki already has a Hybrid system for the Vitara .
From the data that is available it looks like a re-engineered Vitara with the Suzuki all grip system and the Suzuki hybrid system and being manufactured at the Toyota plant.

If you see the D pillar and the bonnet shape all the clues point towards the base being of a Vitara , which I believe is a very good point to start with
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-vitara.jpg  

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-hyryder.png  

abhijit 2284 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 09:44   #828
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284 View Post
In fact I am also have my doubts about the TOYOTA hybrid since Suzuki already has a Hybrid system for the Vitara .
The hybrid engine is from Toyota for sure.

Suzuki's hybrid system is based on the K15 4 cylinder engine, while the Hyryder hybrid specs if correct is the M15A 3 cylinder engine from Toyota.
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 09:52   #829

I believe the same for pricing, shall be priced very close to seltos and creta, and not hopefully not exceed 20L (at least for the non hybrid models).

Toyota is playing a B I G move here as this model is a big deal for them. With the fortuner and innova they know there is no competition and thus they're minting as much money as possible out of it, not here though.

I'm sure the hyryder will be very competitively priced even with all the bells and whistles being provided.
Old 4th July 2022, 09:57   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShandilya View Post
I am positive this will bring the fight to the Korean twins and might win too because of following reasons in no particular order-
1. Size
2. Good looks
3. Strong Hybrid (will seriously pull numbers from the koreans (diesels) especially in NCR)
4 Brand value that screams reliability and peace of mind
5 Tech loaded
I agree and the biggest bragging point would be a 5 star NCAP rating. The current brezza already has a 4 star rating and Hyryder will probably better that. Many creta/seltos owners are disappointed with the barely 3 star rating of their car.
For this segment safety is a key consideration along with reliability,peace of mind and the right size( read not too big like xuv700). Currently there is no vehicle which ticks all these boxes. This could be a game changer for the segment. Pricing would be key though.

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 4th July 2022 at 10:00.
Old 4th July 2022, 10:29   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Under safety in the Hyryder brochure, it is mentioned as Advanced body structure (TECT body).

Hyryder:
Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-hy.png

For the recently launched Brezza also they mentioned it as SUZUKI tect body. Obviously, they can't mention the Suzuki brand for Hyryder.

Brezza:
Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-brezza.png
Old 4th July 2022, 11:50   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
I agree and the biggest bragging point would be a 5 star NCAP rating. The current brezza already has a 4 star rating and Hyryder will probably better that. Many creta/seltos owners are disappointed with the barely 3 star rating of their car.
For this segment safety is a key consideration along with reliability,peace of mind and the right size( read not too big like xuv700). Currently there is no vehicle which ticks all these boxes. This could be a game changer for the segment. Pricing would be key though.
No one is sure what the NCAP ratings would be for now and hence I kept it out of my reasoning.
But as you mentioned in your other points, this could be the perfect drive for city dwellers
Old 4th July 2022, 12:17   #833
BHPian

If the safety rating by Global NCAP is 5 Stars, Hyrider will be a game changer for sure. Let me venture out with a prediction - Both Creta and Seltos will be updated with stronger body frames and voluntary rating of atleast 4 stars in the next year atleast.

If that happens, the entire market will follow suit. Bharat NCAP (even though voluntary) will be the easier route for that. Still, it will be much better than today's situtation of ceding safety intiatives mostly to Tata and Mahindra.

Last edited by CoolFire : 4th July 2022 at 12:35.
Old 4th July 2022, 12:46   #834
BHPian

Spoke with a Sales advisor at Mumbai Toyota showroom. The display cars are not available anywhere in Mumbai according to him. Also, the trainings for them is also not yet started.
Lets see how long it takes for the cars to arrive at the showrooms.
Old 4th July 2022, 12:56   #835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
Under safety in the Hyryder brochure, it is mentioned as Advanced body structure (TECT body).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_HEARTECT_platform

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Vitara

Globally, Suzuki has not used HearTect platform for SX4 S-Cross, Vitara and related cars. As Sri_Tesla points out, it seems to be the Global C or Tect platform and is not built on the HearTect platform.

Maruti Suzuki marketing team mentioned HearTect even for S-Cross petrol since 2020 but various owners have shared photos of the underbody and it is still the same as old S-Cross and is different from cars using HearTect.

Secondly, I was under the impression that the Global C platform is also called the TECT platform while the newer modified version is called HearTECT.

Just because some parts are shared with current S-Cross in India, it doesn’t mean that the car is a reworked S-Cross. I see no issue with that either as S-Cross is a very European vehicle and is unlike the typical Maruti cars sold in the market.

Hope the car will undergo crash testing as well so that speculations can be put to rest.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 13:02   #836
BHPian

Well, thanks for the detailed post!!
I have the same quandary. Duster's boot is very good and i have to replace it (Sad NGT Rule)
Have already booked with Uttam Toyota Patparganj for 11 k (Advance booking before launch).
I had a diesels so fuel FE numbers do matter. Not so much for the actual financials (my running is not high( but the daily peace of mind while making commutes.
Having said that hope the top model is priced sensibly.
I have a budget of 25L on road. If Toyota outprices me, then i can extend budget but then will think of other cars (sacrificing FE) with bigger boot..
Cough-Cough- Tucson Facelift
Old 4th July 2022, 13:17   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_HEARTECT_platform

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Vitara

Secondly, I was under the impression that the Global C platform is also called the TECT platform while the newer modified version is called HearTECT.
As far as i know TECT is a vehicle body structure marketing name (source), which can be implemented in any platform including the Global C and Heartect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284 View Post
I would place my money on the Vitara . In fact I am also have my doubts about the TOYOTA hybrid since Suzuki already has a Hybrid system for the Vitara .
From the data that is available it looks like a re-engineered Vitara with the Suzuki all grip system and the Suzuki hybrid system and being manufactured at the Toyota plant.

If you see the D pillar and the bonnet shape all the clues point towards the base being of a Vitara , which I believe is a very good point to start with
Agree with your points regarding the vehicle being based on the Vitara, the Hyryder seemed to share the chassis hardpoints up to the B-pillars with the global Vitara, while the rear is lengthened from the global Vitara to be as long as the S-Cross and other midsize SUVs.

However it's clear as day that they used Toyota hybrid based on the specs. This is something that Toyota pushed to gain economies of scale of hybrid component production in India (some components will be shared with the Innova Hycross, for example the 3cyl engine of the Hyryder Hybrid will be expanded to 4cyl to create a 2.0-litre engine for the Hycross). Suzuki is probably happy to receive Toyota's tech as it is superior and more efficient than Suzuki's.
Astargea is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 14:15   #838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
What differntiates the Toyota hybrid technology from ths Honda hybrid technology?

Are they pretty close, or have a big gap? If so, what are the strong and weak points (or pros and cons)of each?
To my understanding, correct me if I am wrong.

I don't know which is the best, but both can work as series hybrid, only at higher speeds they employ different strategies to turn the wheels using the ICE engine. Toyota use the ICE engine more often to turn the wheels since it uses a eCVT.

Honda:
2 electric motors(1 generator and 1 motor), 1 clutch to connect engine to wheels at high speeds, it is a series hybrid, the engine is primarily used for generating electric energy.

No gearbox, engine runs at the best possible rpm to generate max electric power, or runs the wheels directly when speed of wheels is almost equal to this engine rpm.

The motor used for turning wheels also helps in regenerative braking.

Very simple architecture, generator never turns the wheels.

Toyota:
2 electric motors(1 motor turns wheels directly and 1 motor used as eCVT ), 1 planetary gear set(power splitter), no clutch.

The motor used for eCVT is also a generator, and can work as series hybrid at slow speeds and when Battery is empty. This motor allows the engine to always run at the highest efficient RPM.

The motor used for turning wheels also helps in regenerative braking.

Complex architecture to understand, hats off to the engineers who designed the eCVT.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 4th July 2022 at 14:19.
SKC-auto is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 14:34   #839
BHPian

I am just amazed as to why would Toyota not assist Suzuki in improving the existing K15 C motor. The Power output is dismal now and 101 BHP and 135-136 NM of Torque for the Neodrive version , which might just be the highest selling version is puny in comparison to the competition. I guess the Neo variants would also have a kerb weight of 1200 kg Plus , in such a scenario the vehicle despite having a 2.2 KW mild hybrid power back up might just not cut it performance wise.

Even the Hybrid one with a peak torque output of 141 NM is very less and although i can understand the reliability concerns with turbos , a decently powered naturally aspirated engine has always been Toyota's forte. Toyota and even Suzuki are known to tune the engines to extract minimum power which works beautifully in the longevity aspect but puts a dampener on the performance aspect.

The best part is that the engines still don't prove to be laggards but just lack that extra oomph which many in the competition provide. I somehow believe that they will not skimp on the safety aspect and a good safety rating would definitely tilt buyers towards the Hyryder but somehow keeping the same engine set up for one version smirks of laziness.

But maybe providing features and giving a decently built car (Fingers Crossed) with legendary reliability is Toyota's game plan.

Last edited by Shwet : 4th July 2022 at 14:36.
Old 4th July 2022, 15:30   #840
Senior - BHPian

Saw one video where the sunroof opens outwards which looks rather cheap like aftermarket fitment, perhaps the engineers did that to liberate more headroom but not sure how practical it is.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks