Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2022, 14:06   #1081
BHPian

Re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
What happened to the much loved Team BHP 'never buy the first lot of a newly launched product' dictum. Does it make sense to find oneself stuck with a half baked newly launched product after prebooking? I won't be surprised if one ends up spending more time and energy trying to get the 'initial niggles' fixed than what he/she saved by grabbing the so-called 'introductory prices'.

IMO it is a terrible idea to pre-book a car before a TD and price release. In case one has an 'urgent' need for a car, he or she can always check our pre-owned cars.
First of all, pre-booking doesn't mean that the person is indeed going ahead with purchasing the car. He/She can still test drive the car once its launched and if they do find it suitable to meet most of their needs, then they can go ahead and buy it.

Further, I do not think that its proven that all newly launched cars are going to have an issue always. I am not denying that it may happen, but given that its a time test brand like Maruti, the chances of something going terribly wrong is definitely slim.

There is no guarantee that by waiting you wouldn't be delivered a lemon. We have seen so many threads were people have complained of issues be it the Honda City, Kia Seltos, Hyundai Creta etc. These cars are out in the market for quite sometime and they still fail.

We must understand that cars are at end of day a mechnical product which is bound to have some niggles. How soon/how bad is something that can't be always reliably predicted.

What you can ofcourse do is to chose a brand that is committed to solve these issues and keep their customer happy! I, for one, trust in the Maruti's brand and have always enjoyed complete peace of mind with their cars.

So, yes I may be taking a calculated risk, but I am sure there is no dice that I can roll which would tell me that by waiting, I am not going to get a lemon!

Finally, I would say, "to each, his own!"
vijay.s is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 16:23   #1082
BHPian

Re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Toyota will launch Hyryder in second half of August (most probably 20 August), whereas Maruti will launch Grand Vitara in September (most probably 7 September) as from 10 September, Shradh will start.

Expected price range is Rs 10 lacs for Base Variant and Rs 18 lacs for Top Variant (Smart Hybrid) as confirmed by Toyota Dealer

Last edited by oops : 25th July 2022 at 16:35.
oops is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 16:51   #1083
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I think that this is a very insensitive take. There are people who need a car asap.
I totally agree with your point. We are in need of replacing the City at the earliest and are sitting with 3 bookings as of today including one of Hyryder!
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 17:30   #1084
BHPian

The most insensitive take on the people of India is by Maruti and Toyota who are sitting on price reveal for so long. Can somebody help me understand why they are behaving like that?

A lot of wasteful activity getting generated by price being kept under wraps.

PS. I am not in the market for the strong hybrid at this point, but am not amused by the avoidable tamasha.
Old 25th July 2022, 18:24   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
In case one has an 'urgent' need for a car, he or she can always check our pre-owned cars.

Looking at the extreme prices of pre-owned cars in my state of Kerala (priced at or above the ex-showroom from back when the first owner bought it), it makes zero financial sense to get a pre-owned car nowadays. Gone are the days when you let the first owner take the depreciation hit and then got an almost new used car for 20% less. Most of the people putting up ads today aren't the owner's or even used car dealers with their own inventory but just speculators.

They track down the owners and then convince them that they can get insane prices for their car and take one or two photos of it. Considering most of them can't get photos of the interior, I doubt the owner even takes them seriously enough to let them inside the car or perhaps he is not even aware that his car is being put up for sale. Maybe they only contact the owner if they actually get someone desperate enough to pay whatever they are asking. I'm guessing they are targeting rich people who don't have the patience to deal with a new car's waiting period.

Also another tactic they use is to screenshot the owner's ads and then re-upload them with insane prices. They contact the owner and convince them to take down their own ad and promise them that they can get them much higher prices for a 1% commission. After a lot of searching, I had locked down a deal with the owner of a used endeavour 3.2 which in itself was rather overpriced (I agreed to pay the asking price itself since I had been looking for a car for so long). I took a bit of time to ensure everything was good with the car, found out that it had some major replacements under warranty. While debating with myself on whether or not to still buy it, I called him the next day to ask some more details but to my surprise he told me that the car was already sold. I was shocked since who would have actually offered above asking price without even seeing the car in person? Anyway, while browsing olx again, I saw the same car with the exact same pictures being put up for sale for 8l more! This was by a known speculator based in another city 200 kms away. They hadn't even seen the car or bought it, they apparently just promised the owner they could get a much better price in return for a commission. The car is still up for sale on olx 2 months later though which gives me immense satisfaction

Most of the ads here are put up by this cartel under different names. With rising interest rates and inflation for essential items, especially on fuel, there are actually almost no buyers to pay these prices for used cars but they are being propped up by mindless speculators selling cars with no guarantee of being good and almost no capital invested. The best time to buy a used car will be perhaps in a year once new cars are more readily available and these clowns are bankrupt. The market should adjust itself due to an overabundance of supply from more people actually wanting to sell their well maintained old cars when they get new ones.
Cresterk is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 18:37   #1086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Looking at the extreme prices of pre-owned cars in my state of Kerala (priced at or above the ex-showroom from back when the first owner bought it), it makes zero financial sense to get a pre-owned car nowadays...
Totally agree with your entire post. There may be here and there a few good pre worshipped car deals but for the most part the quoted prices are laughable. Sometimes I am confused whether I am looking at a used car price or a brand new one. Even cars with more than 1 lakh kms(real figure no one knows) are being quoted for 60-70% of new car price. Neither the buyer nor the seller but it is these middlemen who are profiting without even investing anything.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th July 2022 at 19:42. Reason: trimmed quote
DonHyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 21:14   #1087
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti's and Toyota's mid- SUV plans:

- Plans to produce around one lakh Vitara in the current fiscal year.

- Maruti Suzuki and Toyota plan to produce 18,000-19,000 units a month of the new Mid- SUV.

- Of this, Maruti Suzuki plans to sell about 13,000 units a month, and the rest by Toyota

- This has a cumulative revenue potential of Rs 2,500-3,000 crore per month.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 08:56   #1088
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder to launch on August 16th.

Deliveries could start in September.

Quote:
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder to be positioned aggressively in India as it could be priced between Rs. 9.5 lakh and Rs. 19 lakh (ex-showroom)

Link

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th July 2022 at 09:49. Reason: Typo
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 14:28   #1089
BHPian

I have seen many complain about the limited headroom at the back for 6 footers. How much of it is due of the sunroof implementation?
Old 26th July 2022, 15:23   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebzgeo89 View Post
I have seen many complain about the limited headroom at the back for 6 footers. How much of it is due of the sunroof implementation?
I had a very interesting experience at the back of a Seltos during my recent trip to India. I am slightly shorter in height than 5ft 9 inch and i observed that I had around 4 fingers of space above my head when seated at rear seat upright. In relaxed slouching condition, the gap would be more for sure. I found it exactly similar in Grand Vitara / Hyryder as well. Hope that gives an idea.
Carma2017 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 15:57   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti's and Toyota's mid- SUV plans:

- Plans to produce around one lakh Vitara in the current fiscal year.

- Maruti Suzuki and Toyota plan to produce 18,000-19,000 units a month of the new Mid- SUV.

- Of this, Maruti Suzuki plans to sell about 13,000 units a month, and the rest by Toyota

- This has a cumulative revenue potential of Rs 2,500-3,000 crore per month.

Link
I like their ambitious plans but just being Maruti won't cut it here and Creta and Seltos have a firm grip over the segment, not to mention XUV700, Scorpio and Harrier are only a stone throw away in pricing and have much more substantial road presence among many other things.

They would need to price it aggressively and that includes pricing the Hybrid right as well, as they are set to produce it here and it is not just a novelty like in the City, it will need to be accessible to be relevant and deliver a completion to the Diesel and Turbo petrol from the Koreans which I believe make atleast 50% of all sales for those cars, they have already reserved the Hybrid for just the upper 2 variants of the Grand Vitara (Hyryder starts from 2nd lowest though) which has left the alarm bells ringing for a starting price of 19 – 20 lakhs price bracket which can take it away from becoming mainstream and just the lame (for the segment) 1.5 NA Petrol doesn't have the potential to do majority (for variants priced from 11 ish all the way to 18 lakhs or so) of the weight lifting and is not competitive at all.
It can still bring some volumes for the lower variants though.
Old 27th July 2022, 11:02   #1092
BHPian

How about we start a new thing at teambhp where we don't let these half baked news to the homepage? Every manufacturer now has seven thousand different stages to unveil their cars. Look at MG for instance, they will tease every egde of the car from 6 months prior and all media outlets will cover every single picture.

On teambhp, things like this at homepage is a waste of time. Just post it when it's revealed. Be the change you want to see.
omranga98 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 00:16   #1093
BHPian

Really feeling positive about these twins, especially as they are bearing those tall efficiency ratings. Whats confusing me is the pricing, of course with todays norms anyone can launch a car at 9 lakhs and take it up to 20 lakhs for the top end. But hey whats this package all about? Basically a heavily reworked SCross + updated AT + additional kits + AWD pack + Toyota powertrain, so how much they can charge ? Ok don't look elsewhere, lets take the current Maruti line up.

Scross MT : 8.95-11.72, 4AT : 11.25-12.92 Lakhs.
Brezza MT : 7.99 - 12.30, 6AT: 10.96-13.80 Lakhs.
XL6 MT: 11.29 -12.89, 6AT: 12.79-14.39 Lakhs.

Hmm they have jacked the prices quite well. So I guess for the mild hybrid MT variant it may start at 9.5 Lakhs and other variants are quite possible as below.

GV MT base : 9.50 Lakhs, MT top with added kits : 13.10 Lakhs.
GV MT AWD top : 14.30 Lakhs.
GV 6AT top : 14.50 Lakhs.
GV Hybrid top : 15.99 Lakhs !

Now its a choice between sensible Maruti v/s greedy Toyota way of pricing. Eagerly waiting for the reveal and its effect on the strong competitions.

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 28th July 2022 at 00:17.
Old 28th July 2022, 05:27   #1094
BHPian

This pricing of the Grand Vitara / HyRyder is indeed an awaited event for many including me. After the shocking pricing of Brezza, there is a limited room for playing with pricing for Maruti.

I am more anxious about the premium of the HyRyder / Grand Vitara strong hybrid version over the equivalent specced weak hybrid version, as that will set the tone for future of hybrids in India. Internationally, the price premium for strong hybrid is about 10% over the NA version, let's see how these are priced. At a good pricing, it will redefine the market.

If the price premium for strong hybrid is high, then the adoption will be delayed. Watching out this space keenly.

Fuel efficiency gains for strong hybrid and solid are real.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 28th July 2022 at 05:44.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 09:40   #1095
BHPian

How exactly does this self charging EV tech work? Does it charge only when we are actually driving the car in ICE mode like the battery of regular cars? Or does the engine run in background to charge the battery even when the car is running in EV mode?

Suppose the car has short daily drives of upto 1km. The car will be running in EV mode I guess. So will the battery fully die out after few days or will the ICE engine keep charging the battery in the background?

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th July 2022 at 09:49. Reason: Fixing typos. Please proof-read before submitting your posts.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed