Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2022, 21:08   #1246
BHPian

Re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Stumbled upon this video on YouTube(from today's media drive). At around 6:50 in the video the reviewer mentions 25km on EV Mode.
ChetanM6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 21:44   #1247
BHPian

Re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Some interesting FAQs about Toyota Hybrids.

Link

Excerpts

Quote:
A hybrid can drive in electric mode for up to 62% of your journey. The electric motor can exclusively drive the car, without dependence on the petrol engine and it’s this electric motor which is self-charging.
Quote:
Mild Hybrids or as they’re often called “fake hybrids”, do not deliver the benefits a full Hybrid engine. Toyota’s hybrid batteries are strong enough to drive at moderate speeds (60 KM per Hour) in pure EV mode, while a mild Hybrid cannot drive in pure EV mode at any speed (0% EV drive time).
Quote:
The battery is designed to last the life of the vehicle. Some US owners have already passed 250,000 miles.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 23rd August 2022 at 21:51.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 21:57   #1248
Senior - BHPian

If you consider price of a 5 seater "Full Hybrid"; with the choices available and the reduced boot capacity constraints it would be better to go up one segment above and buy a 7 seater SUV. Unless you're very fuel efficiency conscious, agreed petrol is selling at an artificially inflated price by the Govt. But does it make sense to buy a 5 seeat "Full Hybrid" for Rs 24 L where as the same can be spent on a Kia or Hyundai 7 seater Diesel or Petrol: pick your choice. We're not living in Europe but in India where even Govt/Municipal/Corporations empties trash into rivers...but when it comes to norms we're up there in heaven; the double standards will kill industry and discourage people from setting up shop, here.

I've have a feeling that both Maruti and Toyota are in a bind with these 5 seater full hybrid twins gamble: going to turn out to be expensive hence may be they're 'lobbying' heavily in New Delhi to wangle some sort of tax rebate to soften the blow and to somehow make this a success, if not Toyota would be forced exit the Indian market, there are already news of bookings of Innova diesel being stopped so Fortuner will also be stopped since they both have high capacity diesel powertrains.

If they don't get a tax rebate just think what will happen to the Innova Full Hybrid expected end of this year or beginning of next year; may breach the 40-45L mark for a petrol hybrid MUV and old diesel Innova's will command their weight in gold as resale value. Keenly waiting to see how this gamble plays out for Toyota and Maruti

Last edited by Eddy : 24th August 2022 at 00:02. Reason: Spacing for better readability
Durango Dude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 22:15   #1249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
But does it make sense to buy a 5 seeat "Full Hybrid" for Rs 24 L where as the same can be spent on a Kia or Hyundai 7 seater Diesel or Petrol: pick your choice.
Well said. If the manufacturers think that they are the hard-nosed businessmen, who can get by with whatever premium they decide, I think they will proved wrong. The buyer is no saint, but quite value conscious, surely in the price segment that this car is being positioned.
Old 23rd August 2022, 23:20   #1250
BHPian

Looking at how China is hoarding Batteries for China and creating artificial shortages and jacking up prices, I don't trust short to medium term future of EVs. Even if we do manage to make speciality Lithium batteries in India (e.g.Ola), then Lithium shortages would be the killer. I think till we sort out a sustainable battery chemistry, Hybrids have been and will remain the best bet. Hence I loved it that a risk averse company came up with the Hybrid Honda City and now the Suzuki Toyota Hybrid.

Of course, price is a talking point but in an era where everything is expensive, you cannot expect a Hybrid to be dirt cheap. Each one of us will have our own definition of reasonable pricing and it will never be the case that all will be satisfied. But I am optimistic that at least one of these two makers will price the car sensibly, i e. Within 20 Lacs on road for one of the Strong Hybrid variants.

Last edited by Eddy : 24th August 2022 at 00:03. Reason: Spacing for better readability
Carma2017 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 00:09   #1251
BHPian

The hyryder and the Grand Vitara are being targeted towards fuel price conscious buyers and pricing would be around 24 lakhs for the top variant which fades away the high mileage edge.
For anyone with high running cost, a better car would be Seltos or Creta diesel wherein they’ll not only get the advantage of diesel mileage but extra features and much more importantly a better engine and if mileage is not an issue why would anyone pick hyryder or GV over Scorpio N which in its Z8 diesel auto (4x2) is around the same price.
There have been hints around how the strong hybrid engine is lacking in terms of performance which is really disappointing.
SShandilya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 09:47   #1252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I guess no one ever spoke about the 3 point seatbelt for the middle passenger till now. So that's a new one, atleast for me.

And that means that it should come in Vitara too. I hope that it's a standard feature across all variants.
Here are some pointers to that:
Quote:
Grand Vitara is equipped with Electronic Stability Program (ESP) with Hill Hold Assist, 3-point ELR seat Belts (All seats) and Rear Disc Brake standard across all variants.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 09:54   #1253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
I saw yesterday report, I am still skeptical about 1.8kwh battery. Even if a 1.8kwh battery is used it will not have range of 25km, otherwise Tata Nexon EV max will have range >500km.
Urging Team BHP reviewers to provide their assessment on the 25 km pure EV range claim in their upcoming review. Thanks in advance.
Old 24th August 2022, 09:55   #1254
BHPian

I for one am diesel averse and with the tightening emisson norms and maintenance issues with diesel in long run would definitely look at a Hybrid. A diesel car will not give an average of more than 14 all around so a hybrid with 25 to 26 kpl has an advantage here. A hybrid runs about 60 pct on battery so for sure there is a positive impact on environment. Its a vote for hybrid anydays and waiting for the Hyryder and Innova Cross to be launched. As to the pricing we at Tbhp love to speculate. Just wait for them to announce and then debate.
Old 24th August 2022, 10:20   #1255
BHPian

What does the 25 KM range for pure EV mean?

Will the car run in EV mode for 25 km and then automatically switch to Petrol engine? When can we switch back to EV again?

What happens on Hwy where car moves continuously for well over 25 km? Will the car keep switching back and forth between EV & Petrol modes?

Is the technology intelligent enough to pick the most appropriate / economical mode on it's own or is it based on driver's actions?
Old 24th August 2022, 10:45   #1256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Urging Team BHP reviewers to provide their assessment on the 25 km pure EV range claim in their upcoming review. Thanks in advance.
We will get this info once the media embargo is lifted. Its matter of few days now
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 11:15   #1257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
What does the 25 KM range for pure EV mean?

Will the car run in EV mode for 25 km and then automatically switch to Petrol engine? When can we switch back to EV again?

What happens on Hwy where car moves continuously for well over 25 km? Will the car keep switching back and forth between EV & Petrol modes?

Is the technology intelligent enough to pick the most appropriate / economical mode on it's own or is it based on driver's actions?
Quote:
A hybrid can drive in electric mode for up to 62% of your journey. The electric motor can exclusively drive the car, without dependence on the petrol engine and it’s this electric motor which is self-charging. The Hybrid system knows when to switch between the electric power source and the conventional engine. The result is, you could be driving on a road at 60KM p/h and be in pure electric mode generating zero emissions. So how is electricity generated, to allow a Hybrid drive in pure electric mode for up to 62%? It’s done in two ways;
a. Electricity is generated by the engine as the car is driving when the engine efficiency is high.
b. Regenerative braking – During deceleration and while depressing the brake pedal, part of the energy that normally would be lost as heat is collected as electrical energy to be reused, such as for motor power. It’s important to note that energy regeneration to create electricity can be created even when the car is driving in pure electric mode. Therefore electricity is generated without the direct usage of the engine or fossil fuels.
Source:
Link

My intuition tells me, that once the car has accelerated to a given speed, say 50 km/hr, it may be able to cover upto 25 km on pure EV mode at constant speed on a flat road. But to expect the vehicle to cover 25 km in a real world city situation from standstill appears far fetched with the 1.8 kW hr battery.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 24th August 2022 at 11:21.
Old 24th August 2022, 11:19   #1258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
A hybrid runs about 60 pct on battery so for sure there is a positive impact on environment.
It's 60% of time(not distance) according to the manufacturer, as always real world will be somewhere near to 40%. And then Toyota adds the time you sit idle at traffic signals as EV mode since the engine is not running. Expect 25% of journey distance by EV mode, most importantly the electric mode saves lots of fuel during start from 0.

Let's wait for the TBHP review.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 24th August 2022 at 11:20.
Old 24th August 2022, 12:44   #1259
BHPian

I read somewhere that hybrid cars run on battery up to 40kmph speed and petrol engine takes over above that speed. In that case, in cities like Bangalore where we can never cross 20-30kmph speed, what would be the average kmpl?
Old 24th August 2022, 14:06   #1260
BHPian

I believe the pricing will go from
E-11.49
S-12.99/14.29
G-13.99/15.29
V-14.99/16.29
(Neo-MT/AT)

S-16.29
G-17.79
V-19.29
(Strong Hybrid)

I believe this pricing actually makes sense, considering the premium Toyota could charge for the strong hybrid powertrain!
But V-19.29 should be the highest price of Urban Cruiser Hyryder.
KI07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed