Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2022, 15:49   #706
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

I understand the mild hybrid engine is the Suzuki engine, the strong hybrid is that a Toyota sourced engine or it also a Suzuki one?
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 15:51   #707
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

I watched the launch video and somehow felt it was too short and ended abruptly. I would've liked more details about the car itself. Of course price announcement is kept for another day but apart from the name and the looks, the launch event showed nothing else. The car looks ok but nothing wow IMO. it exterior looks like a combination of Magnite and Urban cross and slightly bigger. Overall a good looking car on paper. Hope Toyota prices it sanely.

Vitara Brezza was Urban Cruiser. When Vitara is the expected name for the badge engineered version of this car, this should've named just Hyryder. Badge engineered Brezza could've been named Urban cruiser. Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder is too long a name. I would probably call this ToUCH as it sounds better .

Off-topic, I liked the live music with a band who played the ToUCH Theme music. Does anyone know if they are a band or just individuals played together. That was for me the best part of the event. I heard that music more than couple of times
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 15:59   #708
BHPian

Is it only me who thinks the Hyryder looks oddly jacked up, especially looking from behind? Wheel wells don't look to be well filled by these wheels and the boxy-ish rear doesn't help the matters either. Any photoshop experts here want to lower it by ~1.5 inches?
I get that hybrids offer better fuel economy, but can we share the maths here indicating how many kilometers one needs to drive to break even the additional costs? We can take the Honda City hybrid data for this calculation. My running if low, say 500 KMs a month. Will it make sense for somebody like me?
Old 1st July 2022, 15:59   #709
Senior - BHPian

I can foresee crowded Toyota showrooms during festive period(hopefully they will price it well). Korean duo have some serious competition as Toyota has the reputation to be reliable and that amazing service quality. Hoping there is no compromise on safety either(have to wait for some NCAP results). I am also left wondering what will happen to the European Duo now(Kushaq/Taigun) as they anyway failed to create any dent in the Seltos/Creta sales.

It will be interesting times due to these SUV onslaught in our market. 15-25 lakh segment is suddenly alive now.
Old 1st July 2022, 16:06   #710
BHPian

Well, packaging is attractive. Rest depends on pricing.
Even the base variant has
1) Electric folding mirrors,
2) push button start,
3) green glass,
4) height adjustable driver seat,
5) Auto AC
6) front sliding armrest
7) Telescopic adjustment for steering

Introductory pricing is very crucial.

Booked the Neodrive G variant MT. Had been waiting long to replace my 11 year old Etios Liva.
DImPo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 16:08   #711
Distinguished - BHPian

1.5-liter Toyota Hybrid System (THS II)

And the First look video of the Hyryder:

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st July 2022 at 16:13.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 16:14   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Is it only me who finds the Hyryder stance a bit odd? Looks oddly jacked up. The boxy-ish rear, bigger wheel wells and smallish wheels. Any photoshop experts want to lower it by ~1.5 inches?

Do we have any calculations of how many KMs one needs to drive a hybrid to break even the higher buying costs? We have Honda City hybrid data already that can be used. For a low-ish usage of around 500 KMs per month like I have, does it even make sense to get a hybrid?
Without getting into spreadsheets, a back of envelope calculation would be you would save in the range of about Rs 1.5 to 2.5/- per km versus NA.

If we take a median of Rs 2/- per km, it’s anyone’s guess that break even would be pretty hard to reach.

Very Basic Assumptions: (folks feel free to refine)
Fuel cost 100/- per litre.
Hybrid 20km/ litre will be 5 Rs / km
NA 14 km/ litre will be about 7 Rs / km

Last edited by ajayc123 : 1st July 2022 at 16:17.
ajayc123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 16:19   #713
BHPian

It looks like a very nice product and will push Toyota volumes up in the sales charts.

• Size looks like bigger than Creta and similar to the Hector.
• Great features. For example, one of the safety features is 6 proper airbags
• 2 hybrid engine options. Would Maruti would offer the same or is the TNGA engine only for Toyota?
• Of course, it's easy to spot Suzuki/Maruti design elements, but it's also got Yaris vibes

Keenly waiting for the price, which will be one of the success criteria.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd July 2022 at 05:40. Reason: Edited for better readability
Old 1st July 2022, 16:29   #714
BHPian

I just booked G variant (Hybrid) and got an SMS from Toyota that booking is confirmed. They have mentioned Transaction reference number also in the SMS. The wait begins.
das_ren_auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 16:46   #715
srh
BHPian

Not sure about the thought process behind the variant line up. One would have expected an AT-AWD combination. I am unclear why would they configure the strong hybrid in such a way that the electric motor drives the front wheels.

And knowing Toyota, this will be at least 22 lakh on road in Bangalore if not more for the top end variant.
Old 1st July 2022, 16:52   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Without getting into spreadsheets, a back of envelope calculation would be you would save in the range of about Rs 1.5 to 2.5/- per km versus NA.

If we take a median of Rs 2/- per km, it’s anyone’s guess that break even would be pretty hard to reach.

Moreover, you need to be prepared for a fat battery change bill, anytime after the completion of the 8 year warranty.

And the hybrid is definitely more complicated than the NA. It is not going to be inexpensive if some hybrid part conks out after completing the warranty. Heart says Hybrid and mind says NA.

So, what to do?
Old 1st July 2022, 17:07   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post

NA being 14kmpl is very optimistic in my opinion. XL6 owners are reporting south of 11kmpl. So even assuming 10kmpl, that is a difference of ₹5/km.

So for 500km/month, that is Rs.30,000/year and if there is a premium of 2L, that's ~7 years of ownership
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 17:11   #718
BHPian

No AT in AWD version . Its astonishing to see guts of car manufacturers to produce top specs in MT variants. Dead on arrival for me.
purohitanuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 17:14   #719
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I understand the mild hybrid engine is the Suzuki engine, the strong hybrid is that a Toyota sourced engine or it also a Suzuki one?
Toyota 1.5L 3 cylinder strong hybrid.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 17:16   #720
BHPian

This is a pleasant surprise from Toyota (& MS), and the strong hybrid is almost making me regret upgrading my Creta a bit to soon to XUV700!

Few observations:

1) Panoramic sunroof was completely unexpected on this from Toyota, and now it makes the Fortuner look like even more of a (overpriced) joke. Although the sunshade on the roof seems to be letting a bit too much light through, which could be an issue in overly-sunny India.

2) This has the potential to do a lot of numbers if Toyota can manufacture it at scale (not sure about the capacity at the Karnataka plant), however if the waiting period is long, there are not enough USPs in the car for people to keep waiting several months.

3) As several people on the forum have pointed out already, they should have just called it the Hyryder. The Urban Cruiser moniker is only creating confusion especially since it is launched close to the new brezza.

4) The transmission hump in the middle seems to be significant and will render this as mostly a 4 seater. Plus the boot space on the Hybrid will render it less usable for long journeys.

5) Many people are expecting this to do great numbers, however the stance of the car is cross-overish, which has usually not done well in the Indian market (like the Captur and S-Cross), so we will need to see how much the market has matured now.

6) If they can price any variant of the the strong hybrid sub 17 lac ex-showroom, it could be a gamechanger and boost demand for Hybrids. But keeping in mind previous Toyota launches, it seems unlikely.

P.S. the kink in the design of the dashboard reminds me of the previous Lexus NX.

https://imgd-ct.aeplcdn.com/1056x660...oard.jpeg?q=75

Last edited by nasir88 : 1st July 2022 at 17:22.
nasir88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks