Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2022, 21:56   #796
BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
PS - lot's of "Creta- killers" have come and gone, that car still at the top of the selling charts.
True! Astor, Kushaq and Taigun were supposed to dethrone the segment leader. I doubt even if combined sales of all 3 is near to Creta's numbers. VAG twins are better when it comes to dynamics and performance. The Astor has best build quality among the three. But the main thing which we Indians love is size/road presence. This alone is big factor for such craze for Creta. If anybody mentions he/she are considering VAG twins, the sales guy will be quick to dismiss by saying " they are small cars Sir". This has been taken care by Hyryder. Looks massive, is feature loaded, top of that has AWD and hybrid technology which Creta lacks. If priced on par with Creta, I would any given day pick the Hyryder over the "Segment leader".
RD150 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 22:17   #797
BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

With current Fuel prices, there's a strong sentiment for fuel efficient cars.

When people can pay ₹18L for a Creta DCT that gives 10-12kmpl, they can surely consider a ₹20L Hybrid that gives 25kmpl in traffic, that too from the Toyota stable (they're beyond "experts" with Hybrid tech).

This is a Hybrid Toyota and definitely not a wannabe Creta/Seltos rival! They've plenty going for them as Hybrids also offer fairly good initial torque, so this is going to be a rather functional urban commuter to crawl thru our cities.
WorkingGuru is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 22:58   #798
Sen
BHPian

I don't have a horse in this race but even from the sidelines, the Brezza+Hyryder (those are definitely quite some names from MS and Toyota to be honest) duo here looks primed to take the market and turn it upside down. Features, safety, and the kitni deti hai aspects all seem to be ticked..no official word now or anytime soon on NCAP test results I'm sure, but here's hoping.
Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 23:13   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Hybrid that gives 25kmpl in traffic, that too from the Toyota stable (they're beyond "experts" with Hybrid tech).
What differntiates the Toyota hybrid technology from ths Honda hybrid technology?

Are they pretty close, or have a big gap? If so, what are the strong and weak points (or pros and cons)of each?

Last edited by ajayc123 : 2nd July 2022 at 23:20.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 23:38   #800
BHPian

I think the only weak point of Hyryder is it’s interior.
It’s just been a day since the launch and already I find the interiors dated and given that somewhere cost cutting would’ve been done to bring the cost down, I feel interior quality would definitely been targeted.
Yet, I am positive this will bring the fight to the Korean twins and might win too because of following reasons in no particular order-
1. Size
2. Good looks
3. Strong Hybrid (will seriously pull numbers from the koreans (diesels) especially in NCR)
4 Brand value that screams reliability and peace of mind
5 Tech loaded
Old 3rd July 2022, 04:55   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
What differntiates the Toyota hybrid technology from ths Honda hybrid technology?

Are they pretty close, or have a big gap? If so, what are the strong and weak points (or pros and cons)of each?
Toyota has been making extremely successful mass market Hybrid cars since 25 years. While I don't have the technical know-how of exactly differentiating Toyota V/s Honda hybrid, I've personally come across enough people with brilliant experiences with Toyota hybrid tech.

This is their first hybrid in India and they won't mess it up.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 05:32   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Toyota has been making extremely successful mass market Hybrid cars since 25 years. While I don't have the technical know-how of exactly differentiating Toyota V/s Honda hybrid, I've personally come across enough people with brilliant experiences with Toyota hybrid tech.

This is their first hybrid in India and they won't mess it up.
Never mind, I am still looking for the answer to my question. I got carried away by your statement.

Quote:
they're beyond "experts" with Hybrid tech
But the answer should be there on this thread pretty soon.

Another question on my mind is that if the Hybrid has been there for 25 years, why is it still a niche product and has not been able to replace the market of the good old Naturally Aspirated engines by a good measure.

Quote:
Hybrid vehicle sales began in 1999 and plug-in electric vehicle sales began in 2010. Hybrids captured 3.2% of the light vehicle market in 2013 and again 5.5% in 2021. All-electric vehicles accounted for 3.2% of the light vehicle market in 2021.
Source:
https://www.bts.gov/content/gasoline...-vehicle-sales

Last edited by ajayc123 : 3rd July 2022 at 05:57.
Old 3rd July 2022, 06:12   #803
BHPian

continued ..
Is it the manufacturers thirst for profits and the premium pricing that is a hindrance to adoption of the better technologies like Hybrid or are there other factors to this situation ?

Last edited by ajayc123 : 3rd July 2022 at 06:34.
Old 3rd July 2022, 06:42   #804

Quote:
Never mind, I am still looking for the answer to my question.

Another question on my mind is that if the Hybrid has been there for 25 years, why is it still a niche product and has not been able to replace the market of the good old Naturally Aspirated engines by a good measure.
In terms of modes of operation, transmission, engine cycle (Atkinson), both are pretty much the same. Honda has as much if not more experience compared to Toyota in Hybrid engines. The only difference I can see is the way Honda vs Toyota tune their setups for better response vs better FE, and the more "traditional" transmission in the Honda plus the higher EV-only speed in the Honda.
Old 3rd July 2022, 07:53   #805
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Same could be said for CNG/LPG vehicles which are far cheaper to run and have been here for decades.

Regarding hybrid adoption.

1. Initial cost - These were highly priced compared to their equivalent ICE models. Just like how we have the petrol vs diesel TCO debates in India.

2. Non availability in mainstream models - These were viewed as some sort of experimental models and were styled as such. And we're not available everywhere. Just like how many EVs are styled to stand out now.

3. Image - The Prius image had that image shouting out loud, something like how Tesla owners are turning out to be. In USA, people would shy away from owning a Prius. But they wouldn't mind a hybrid Camry or Rav4.

Unlike how regulations and the aftermath of Dieselgate have lead to the sudden popularity of environmentally friendly vehicles, there wasn't that much of a push for hybrid adoption earlier. Why would one if fuel was cheap, hybrids felt boring/not fun to drive and you had to suffer from a certain image. Top of that, hybrids were expensive.

We in India wouldn't even think of hybrids if BS6 didn't happen, would we?

Last edited by DicKy : 3rd July 2022 at 07:54.
DicKy is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 08:43   #806
BHPian

Re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV spied

Heard a Rumor. HyRyder physically available at Motinagar, Delhi Showroom. Any Bhpian nearby and interested may give them a call and visit. Will be great to get some Bhpian insight on interior quality. Would have visited, if I was in Delhi.
Javelin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 10:38   #807
BHPian

Re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I'm getting Toyota Yaris thread's vibes from this thread ! Remember how much BHPians hyped that car up, and it was flop ! Simply cause Toyota launched it at a premium and the specs were poor too. No way Toyota will launch Hyryder (that's a mouthful ! Couldn't have come up with anything simpler ?) at reasonable price. If I were potential buyer for this, I'd wait for 2 years atleast. All this new tech in a Toyota, better be safe than sorry !
PS - lot's of "Creta- killers" have come and gone, that car still at the top of the selling charts.
I think as a group we might be wrong here in thinking Toyota will price this vehicle at a premium to Creta. Ofcourse the strong hybrid variant might be priced at the due premium given the cost involved, but would expect the regular variants to be priced very competitively against the Creta / Seltos. A key reason for saying so is
1) the fact that this time it’s not just Toyota alone launching a new model ..Maruti Suzuki will have their own version of this mid SUV model coming less than a month after .. and Maruti will definitely try to take H/K head on .. so if Toyota prices the same underlying model higher it will find no takers and folks would just buy the Maruti version of it
2) Toyota has failed to make a dent in India beyond the Innova .. and my sense based on some interactions with Toyota Japan folks is that they are very keen to change that .. given India is one of the few growth markets left .. so pricing could be more aggressive this time

What do you guys think should one prefer - the Suzuki or the Toyota variant of this mid SUV ? … Maruti lower servicing costs .. better resales values historically .. are all those attractive enough reasons to go for Maruti over Toyota ?
Carzilla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 11:03   #808
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Toyota HYryder has noticeable presence out in the open.

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-smartselect_20220703105503_youtube.jpg

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-screenshot_20220703105517_youtube.jpg

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-screenshot_20220703105555_youtube.jpg

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-screenshot_20220703105604_youtube.jpg

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-screenshot_20220703105639_youtube.jpg

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-screenshot_20220703105646_youtube.jpg

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-screenshot_20220703105755_youtube.jpg

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-screenshot_20220703105801_youtube.jpg

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-screenshot_20220703105809_youtube.jpg

Source : Gaadiwaadi
Venkatesh is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 11:21   #809
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV spied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
Heard a Rumor. HyRyder physically available at Motinagar, Delhi Showroom.
It's possible that the two Urban Cruiser Hyryders which were present at the unveiling event in Hyatt Aerocity, have been placed in a Delhi Showrooms.

Or one in Delhi and the other in Gurgaon.

Can get an idea of the different variants pricing (which variant will slot in below/above which one) of the NeoDrive 1.5L K15 motor:
Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-screenshot-20220703-113209.png

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 3rd July 2022 at 11:35.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 11:47   #810

RohitAK96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks