Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2022, 13:46   #931
BHPian

Re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

I think the eager buyers are playing into the hands of these manufacturers. They must be using the booking data as input to the pricing.

People are pre booking without price reveal and fuelling the fire, as if there is no tomorrow. The higher the blind bookings, higher the expected price.

I think the guys should relax a bit. If you are getting something that you will be keeping for over ten years, how does it matter if you get it on day one or a few months down the line.

At least, this is what I think. Maybe, others think differently.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 8th July 2022 at 13:58.
ajayc123 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 15:07   #932
BHPian

Re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
I think the eager buyers are playing into the hands of these manufacturers. They must be using the booking data as input to the pricing.

People are pre booking without price reveal and fuelling the fire, as if there is no tomorrow. The higher the blind bookings, higher the expected price.

I think the guys should relax a bit. If you are getting something that you will be keeping for over ten years, how does it matter if you get it on day one or a few months down the line.

At least, this is what I think. Maybe, others think differently.
Partially agree with your assessment. However, there are some of us who have to replace the cars in span of a few months to a year (End of Life-NGT rules). Faster we get the cars, easier for us to sell our old ones.
I personally want to replace a diesel and in Delhi and the fuel efficient practical option is a Hybrid. Since the choices are few, there is some jerkiness to buy quickly and thereby sell the old one quickly as well.
Otherwise, I do agree the seller's market has made every car manufacturer and dealer a Mafia
Old 8th July 2022, 15:14   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingakash View Post
Partially agree with your assessment. However, there are some of us who have to replace the cars in span of a few months to a year (End of Life-NGT rules). Faster we get the cars, easier for us to sell our old ones.
I personally want to replace a diesel and in Delhi and the fuel efficient practical option is a Hybrid. Since the choices are few, there is some jerkiness to buy quickly and thereby sell the old one quickly as well.
Otherwise, I do agree the seller's market has made every car manufacturer and dealer a Mafia
I agree regarding the emergency use cases like yours. But I sense that would be in minority.
Old 8th July 2022, 18:43   #934
BHPian

Was watching some youtube videos for the Hyryder and I realised that there is no vent on the rear seat for the battery cooling like they have in the Honda City eHev. So, how is the battery kept cool in this case?

Also, here is the video which shows 4 cabin bags being loaded in the boot
Mumbaiker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 18:54   #935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbaiker View Post
Was watching some Youtube videos for the Hyryder and I realised that there is no vent on the rear seat for the battery cooling like they have in the Honda City eHev. So, how is the battery kept cool in this case?
Vent is available beside the rear seat. You can check in Toyota Bharath webpage, in case you missed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-capture.png  

Hickstead is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 19:06   #936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Vent is available beside the rear seat. You can check in Toyota Bharath webpage, in case you missed it.
OH. thanks a lot. I totally missed this. And I think no one even pointed it out in the walk-arounds
Old 8th July 2022, 19:20   #937
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Wouldnt this reduce the width of the seat and make it inconvenient for the passenger?
Old 8th July 2022, 19:50   #938
BHPian

Quote:
I agree regarding the emergency use cases like yours. But I sense that would be in minority.
Looking at the way manufacturers increase prices post a few days without price protection, people try to book early to get the 'introductory pricing'.

Exclusivity too is a big thing now a days to boast on social media, even if for a short period.
ToThePoint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 20:07   #939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThePoint View Post
Looking at the way manufacturers increase prices post a few days without price protection, people try to book early to get the 'introductory pricing'.

Exclusivity too is a big thing now a days to boast on social media, even if for a short period.
You have valid points based on the current situation.

This frequent price increase seems to be a recent phenomenon, I think it is a temporary phase due to pent up demand due to covid disruptions and not sustainable for very long, maybe by end of this year, as usually these things are cyclic in nature.

But, this is my assessment, and reality could be different. I am waiting for the market to cool down a bit.
Old 9th July 2022, 11:07   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I understand your views, but this is the hottest segment as of date and the Koreans are just killing it. Toyota along with Suzuki(unveiling almost same time) do seem to be serious about a share here. Long waiting period was a norm here even during pre-covid days and at the most, it might distribute well now with newer entrants.

There is serious competition brewing at higher price bands(XUV, Scorpio, Harrier, Safari, Alcazar, Carens, Tucson?? ) and Toyota/Maruti do not have any answer for that yet. So I am confident Hyryder and Vitara(might come at a lower price point) will surely undercut the Koreans and bring in some volumes. Remember, Non hybrid/manual variants might definitely be priced well and even the Strong hybrid seem to not have any ADAS capabilities to command extra premium. So they surely would have accounted for the price point(Maruti is a pioneer here).

Lastly, If we were to learn something from history - Creta became an instant hit due to overpriced S-Cross at similar time. Another example could be the i20 which became smash hit with 6 air bags and premium features over an overpriced Honda Jazz. Toyota, Hope you are reading this !!

Last edited by rajshenoy : 9th July 2022 at 11:10.
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 11:38   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

Lastly, If we were to learn something from history - Creta became an instant hit due to overpriced S-Cross at similar time. Another example could be the i20 which became smash hit with 6 air bags and premium features over an overpriced Honda Jazz. Toyota, Hope you are reading this !!
Great Expectations from Toyota.

After the Brezza pricing by Maruti, my hopes for a VFM Hyryder and Vitara pricing are at its nadir.

I won't be surprised by the hype and hoopla after price reveal, but that will be more for the novelty factor of the strong hybrid, if at all.

Secretly praying for VFM pricing, but odds appear to be stacked against it.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 9th July 2022 at 11:48.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 16:48   #942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great Expectations from Toyota.

After the Brezza pricing by Maruti, my hopes for a VFM Hyryder and Vitara pricing are at its nadir.

I won't be surprised by the hype and hoopla after price reveal, but that will be more for the novelty factor of the strong hybrid, if at all.

Secretly praying for VFM pricing, but odds appear to be stacked against it.
I too hope so with VFM pricing due to their conservative engine and average specs. Price hikes will happen eventually if there is mad rush(typical Indian herd mentality). I sincerely hope Toyota doesn't end up diluting their service quality. So far been a pampered Toyota customer.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 19:29   #943
BHPian

Are hybrids suitable for highway usage as I'm planning to use it for highway only for more than 90% of times.

Many hybrid reviews say they give more mileage in cities than on highways. Hence the question.

Also what could be the cost of battery pack after 8 years.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 9th July 2022 at 19:33.
Old 9th July 2022, 19:38   #944
Senior - BHPian

Went ahead to go have a look at the HyRyder today.

Since, it was in this particular showroom for only two days, there were plenty of people, and I could barely sit inside the vehicle for a minute.

What the SE told me:
  • Only the strong hybrid version will be available for display, for now.
  • Expected delivery in October / Diwali.
  • Test Drives are expected to start in September.
  • Can book any variant for 25k. Will get full refund if booking is cancelled.
  • Mild Hybrid version is expected b/w 13-20 lakhs. She didn't know if its ex showroom or on road.

From whatever I could note during the brief time spent near the car.
  • The car looks big and handsome. Not tall. More like a curvy crossover than a butch UV.
  • Interiors were nice. I was impressed indeed. The plastic quality is a generation ahead of the Urban Cruiser, parked nearby. I would say, at Innova level. And better than the new Brezza, I checked out a couple of days back.
  • Rear legroom is pretty good. I have attached a pic, where the driver's seat is all the way back. I am 6 ft, my legs are barely touching, and I could still move them around.
  • Door thud not like VAG / Tata cars, but good enough. Same with the sheet metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
If you can figure out the dimensions of the boot for the strong hybrid version vis-a-vis the mild hybrid version, that would be great.
I have attached a pic of the boot. The encircled part is where the battery is kept. SE told me that in the mild Hybrid version, this space will be all flat, till the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Can you check headroom when the rear seat is a natural inclination? Particularly if it will work for people > 5'11".
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Another thing i would love to know is the head room at the rear seat for the model without panoramic roof.
There was only one variant for display, with the panoramic roof. I am 6 ft and I did not have any issue with the headroom in the rear.

Quote:
Please check the placement of the battery that drives the motor for the strong hybrid version.
Please see the image attached. Its behind the rear seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
1. Seat comfort. Side cushioning and bolstering.
The seat appeared comfortable. But in such a little time, I could not note much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Interior Build Quality and fit and finish, please! Especially compare it to the Innova and Fortuner and comment on whether it feels like a well built Toyota or a regular Maruti Suzuki.
Quote:
2. Quality of plastics and switchgear vis-a-vis the S-cross.
I have not yet been in an S-Cross. But the plastics and switchgear are at Innova level.

It did feel like a well built Toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
How the sound of the door closing feels, whether there are any bits that have flex on the inside and the outside.
I must have closed the door 4-5 times. The thud is not like my Kushaq or even Tigor. But felt strong enough. I pressed my finger on the sheet metal at the door, boot, C pillar, it felt sold enough. Again, not as solid as my Kushaq or Tigor.

Quote:
3. Details of the instrument cluster. Whether you can view functions like maps/navigation or is it a more basic digital display.
The SE did not let me start the ignition

Quote:
4. View from the driver's seat. Visibility as in is any part of the bonnet visible? Or do you have a more sit-in car feeling
The bonnet is visible. I was sitting in the front passenger seat. I have attached a pic, after positioning the phone at my eye level.

Quote:
5. Do the ORVMs fold the other way? Bikers swipe.
The SE said they will not break if they are folded the other way. They can be folded back to their normal position.

Quote:
6. Bumper quality.
Appeared good. My apologies, will such little time and so many people around, I could not note much. There were other people breathing down my neck, all the time
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-boot.jpg  

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-battery-encircled.jpg  

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-legroom-56-guy.jpg  

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-legroom-seat-all-way-back.jpg  

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-view-bonnet.jpg  

ashutoshb is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 21:36   #945
BHPian

Quote:
=rajshenoy;5354217......

If the vehicle Creta is dissected without bias, it never deserved the price it was bought for by customers. Being a Hyundai customer, i have seen with a mix of fascination and disgust, how Hyundai have been incrementally positioning their brand as a premium option since the days of i20 elite. The improvements made never warranted the price it charged. The specs kept being removed after launch with price remaining constant. Year by year the "premiumisation" of the brand reached its peak with the First gen Creta. The new i20 price leaves me speechless. Objectively, the Creta had nothing more apart it's size and looks, definitely not segment shattering features. But the price it commanded was phenomenal and is a reflection of the Brand power to charge premium. Years later, I was reading the teardown report of this car at a subscription based service, and my view was re affirmed. KIA products are a natural extension of the premiumisation theory.

Today what is jarring is that after being lambasted for 2 years, Suzuki is coming back with better products but immediately charging a premium for the same without letting the market make up its mind and thought process once again about Suzuki. I believe a TATA type of approach would have been better where TATA did not go after profits straight away, rather they let the market change its mindset first. Make no mistake, TATA will charge a premium once the Market truly believes that TATA makes better products than most.
The only way Suzuki can get away with premium pricing is if today's affluent customers believe Suzuki cars would set them apart from herd of Creta and Seltos' seen on the roads.
Carma2017 is offline   (47) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks