Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2022, 21:42   #976
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Interesting point about the boot-space.
The mantra is to arrange the luggage without the parcel tray. I've packed 2 large strolleys and 2 cabin size strolleys in the boot of Brezza after removing the parcel tray. And then stacked a couple of small backpacks over them leaving space for rearview. So I feel, this luggage space may be enough for normal routine works. I also feel that the mild hybrid will have a good luggage space.
BoneCollector is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 21:43   #977
BHPian

Re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

The boot space discussion is interesting. Here are my 2 cents. Although there are global standards available for Boot space measurements like VDA (Verband der Automobilindutrie), in India the term luggage volume is a highly abused term with no specific way of quoting luggage volume and no regulations in place. Some makers quote Air Volume, some quote VDA Volume ( which essentially consists of placing 1, 2 or 4 L cuboidal blocks in luggage area) and some quote largest size block that can be fit. Also, there are OEMs who quote volume under the tire cover as well. Hence, we find that a big volume number does not always transfer into great usability. So, one should never go by the numbers and instead focus more on dimensions of the boot and shape for getting a good idea of usability.
Carma2017 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 21:51   #978

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

I feel Hyryder/Vitara too can be practical here in terms of vertical space in the boot unlike a sedan such as Honda City. Best thing to do is wait for real world tests.
Boot space is clearly on a SMALLER side. But I agree that being an SUV form factor and 60:40 split folding rear seat will indeed provide a lots of flexibility, especially as compared to Honda City Hybrid, the only other strong hybrid in the price range.
Old 11th July 2022, 22:01   #979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
What is the Hyryder?

A Mid size SUV. Not compact. Compact is limited to Brezza. Venue Sonet and the Citroen C3.

Mid size that will compete directly with Nexon, Seltos and Creta in the Indian market.
Although it does not pertain to the discussion going on, but I believe Nexon belongs to the compact Sub 4m segment. It does not compete in the mid size SUV segment.
midazolam is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 22:56   #980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
I have booked Hybrid V variant online. I also have an active booking for Creta D AT. Do I sound wierd ? I consider Petrol Hybrid as alternative for diesel with respect to usage. Have to test drive and check how the performance will be.
I am in the same boat - looking for an upgrade from Ertiga and dropped idea of XUV and ScorpioN due to price/mileage/maintenance. My budget is 15 but I can stretch a lakh or two. I am thinking I will book HyRyder and the new Grand Vitara and wait for more details to come out. Brezza and Creta are way too common and they don't intrigue me anyway. I cant bring myself to trust Kia or MG somehow.

Any ideas from the forum.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th July 2022 at 07:09. Reason: Typo
womanonwheels is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 23:58   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor18 View Post
That's the boot space in SUVs a segment below (Venue, Nexon) :-(
I believe the Nexon and Venue figures include the space taken by the spare tire. The Hyryder tire is latched to the underbody and not accounted for the boot space. I hope they have not included the space eaten by the battery though. The concern is that there should have been 2 different figures for the mild and strong-hybrid variants for the boot space. If the given figure is for mild-hybrid, then yes, the boot for the Strong Hybrid will be similar to that of Nexon.
Old 12th July 2022, 00:01   #982
BHPian

I like the looks, it looks like Toyota stole the Tata Harrier's front end in retaliation for Tata stealing their Harrier brand...

Jokes aside, It looks really great, though I think they should have gone with slightly chunkier tyres on the same wheels.

Here's the issue though. The K15C and the 6 speed AT has been a disappointing combo so far, both on the XL6 as well as the Brezza, with just average performance, and prioritising FE heavily at the cost of performance.

They are also not offering AWD on the AT models, likely due to the limitation of the gearbox, and the fact that AWD would further drag it down.

Unless Toyota does some good tuning work on it, that's not going to be much fun. With the K15C having some pretty high end tech like dual jet and VVTI, which can also be used for enhancing performance and not just the mileage. We've seen how the Fiat MultiJet was always tuned better by MSIL than Tata, GM, or even Fiat themselves, and I hope that's the case here.

Regarding the strong hybrid option, the only thing we know so far is that it's likely the same engine+CVT combo as in the Yaris hybrid, which is known for being a very efficient, smooth drivetrain, but not for strong performance. Like the City Hybrid, it's likely to be tuned for efficiency as well. But only a proper TD and review will tell.

With the Nexon EV doing so well, the upcoming XUV400 and other EVs, I was hoping that India had skipped over the hybrid phase, and gone directly from Fossil to EV acceptance.
vivekgk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 13:07   #983
BHPian

Another teaser from Maruti Suzuki India :

Attached Thumbnails
Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-250c53ccc27649cf87eef151c7895382.jpeg  

Old 12th July 2022, 13:32   #984
BHPian

I pre-booked Hyryder and will sneak peek into Maruti offering too.

Not expecting major differences on variants and pricing. Cosmetic changes are subjective.

The reason i am inclined towards Toyota is the maintenance aspect of Hybrid engines. Better to have Toyota guys taking care of their own engine albeit Maruti engineers will be trained well here.
smilingakash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 14:19   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingakash View Post
I pre-booked Hyryder and will sneak peek into Maruti offering too.

The reason i am inclined towards Toyota is the maintenance aspect of Hybrid engines. Better to have Toyota guys taking care of their own engine albeit Maruti engineers will be trained well here.
Makes complete sense. I don't know why people puff up Maruti's after sales service so much. In my experience, all Maruti's service advisors I've interacted with have been sleazy rip-offs. Toyota on the other hand, has been exemplary so far. Do keep us posted about your hands on experience with both the Hyryder and Grand Vitara if you happen to check both of them out in person.
DeKay is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 14:42   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Makes complete sense. I don't know why people puff up Maruti's after sales service so much. In my experience, all Maruti's service advisors I've interacted with have been sleazy rip-offs. Toyota on the other hand, has been exemplary so far. Do keep us posted about your hands on experience with both the Hyryder and Grand Vitara if you happen to check both of them out in person.
Because it is always serviced outside of the service centre at the friendly or unfriendly Nukkad Garage

Jokes apart, in interior India the reach and availability of parts of Maruti are simply amazing. Its not the service (centres + advisors) but the serviceability of the vehicles by almost anywhere in the country that is praised.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 15:02   #987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
in interior India the reach and availability of parts of Maruti are simply amazing. Its not the service (centres + advisors) but the serviceability of the vehicles by almost anywhere in the country that is praised.
In large part, this is thanks to Maruti starting over the counter selling of spares across almost all major cities/markets as well as online. There is so much transparency. The serviceability aspect if very important. Customer has a choice of DIY / Authorized service center / local mechanic or anyone else.

Just browse through :
- https://www.marutisuzuki.com/genuine-parts
- https://www.marutisuzuki.com/maruti-suzuki-genuine-part

Do note that MGP parts through MGP stores / online hardly have any discount on almost everything and you pay the exact MRP.
dipen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 15:10   #988
BHPian

I had a chance to visit the Toyota showroom in Noida over the weekend and have taken some pictures of the Hyryder, and in short - I am a bit disappointed with what I saw (didn't get a chance to see much, it was really crowded) - Was not able to take a nice and clear picture of the interior either as the car was being swamped by the public there!

Some points to note

1. Car seems to be pre-production, not yet ready for test drives and the fit and finish of the exterior panels and rubber was not looking right in any way

2. Fit and finish, panel gaps are not up to the mark yet, perhaps due to it being a pre-production unit (i wasn't able to confirm this as the dealer didn't know / couldn't confirm if this was the case) - just notice how the rubber isn't fitting right, also why does it have to be so thick?

3. Interiors do not feel that special, especially after you sit in a Glanza, everything from the switch gear, climate control, infotainment, steering - you name it, its been lifted from the cheaper hatchback segment

4. I'm not very tall, and neither is my dad but didn't feel like the car would have good headroom if you are about 6ft tall. But for us at 5'7 and 5'8, its alright.

5. I like the design of the alloys, but such diamond cut + black paint is becoming normal, tyres had Apollo rubber compared to my Creta FL's Bridgestone's (which I have changed to Michelin recently)

6. Seats felt nice and comfortable, although I don't like the huge headrest. Was not able to check out the ventilation - I will when I get a chance to actually drive the car. The rear seat is OK, that ac vent though... feels 30 years old. You cant change it for individual rear passengers - cheap.

7. Headlights seemed to have a projector inside them, but I need to investigate further if the bulb is swappable for a more powerful LED

8. Doors felt OK, not too light, not too heavy

9. The Boot. I was not impressed with the fit and finish at all, coming from a BMW, Creta and Polo, this is the worst quality boot I've ever seen. Hard cut corners and just look at those clips. What a mess. However - if you remove the parcel tray, I think traveling for a short vacation with 3-4 people won't be an issue.

Some pictures are attached for everyone to see.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-really-crowded.jpeg  

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-another-angle-fit-finish.jpeg  

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-bad-rubber.jpeg  

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-grill-fit-not-great.jpeg  

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-another-view-boot.jpeg  

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-panel-fit-not-worthy-toyota.jpeg  

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-rough-boot-note-pins-not-place.jpeg  

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-rubber-not-looking-right.jpeg  

vividhavasthi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 15:20   #989
BHPian

I'm deciding between Brezza and Hyryder.
I really want to go with the Hyryder as my first mid size SUV but the new brezza too is a good deal.
I checked Hyryder out at MGF Gurgaon mall and I have some concerns, most of them related to the car being too low for an "SUV"
My requirements are - it needs to be as big or bigger than Creta/SELTOS. That's all.
Biggest concern - the actual size of Hyryder.
The car felt too small for what they advertize in the brochure.
It says it's similar in height to creta - 1635MM
But when I stood next to the hyryder it felt too small, smaller than Creta/Seltos and even the new Brezza...?
I checked both Brezza and Hyryder on the same day and brezza felt much higher.
I'm about 6ft and Hyryder's headroom was too less compared to brezza. About 4 finger space was left from my head to the roof and about 8 fingers in brezza.
Even the seating position felt lower but I couldn't tell properly because it was inside the building.

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-img20220705wa0002.jpg

I'm 6ft tall for reference, Hyryder's roof came up till my shoulder whereas the other cars I've mentioned above are as high till my neck level.
Hyryder looks as if it's just as big as the S Cross which. If the seating position is the same in all 4 cars in the competition, then I have no problem, since we can assume they did this for the aerodynamics and to reduce wind noise on the highway.
I can tell you with confidence that the dimensions are NOT what they've specified in the brochure.
They even deleted a comment I made on their Instagram about this.
tjsi is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 16:21   #990
BHPian

If one books the Neo version of the Hyryder, the boot is not going to be an issue. The space taken by the battery would be liberated and this boot would seem humongous. My only concern is the lack of headroom at the back and the imposing stance of a faux Suv that most Indians swoon over.

In a true sense only the Scorpio N is a true SUV with a proper Ladder on frame construction and tough go anywhere character. The Hyryder might become a victim of the fake SUV craze where authentic Tin cans like Seltos and Creta are preferred over some product which might be safer (Assuming they have not compromised on the basic structure of the C platform ) . The fully loaded Brezza actually becomes value for money here, I just saw it yesterday at the Maruti Showroom and it has imposing looks.

Another thing is that Toyota and Maruti have been lazy in not giving decent engine options , that is where credit needs to be given to Hyundai and Kia, although their turbos are again unreliable for the moolah one puts in.

We are in for interesting times ahead. Only time will tell how this fight progresses. Even if Toyota can come up with a Five star NCAP rating, i don't think people here will change from a Kia or a Hyundai. Only the Brezza might just become a best seller and it would in all probability be a safer choice though a little compromise on the space aspect. I just expect a lot of people changing from their sedans, Ertiga's etc and now extra frills and not six airbags would be touted as an upgrade in the near future.
Shwet is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks