Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2022, 18:20   #301
BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Its a Suzuki badge so it will do good sales numbers
But by initial look and engine spec its not a segment shaker, I was expecting a Creta killer

This is 100% Suzuki, Toyota DNA is missing
Both Fortuner & Innova had segment leading Power / Torque figure by huge margin and both were a generation ahead in Road presence compared to competitors at that time (today they are minting money for their brand pull)
Old 17th June 2022, 13:59   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Suzuki’s Global-C platform will underpin the Creta rivals from Maruti Suzuki and Toyota. Likely to be the Gen. Next Vitara for international markets too.

Quote:
Unlike previously believed, the pair of midsize SUVs will not be built on Toyota’s TNGA-B (or DNGA) platform but will instead be underpinned by Suzuki’s Global-C platform. Toyota will still build the SUVs for both brands, but the platform will be Suzuki’s.
Quote:
in addition to being briefed on the platform, they have also been led to believe that the SUV will be a global model. And while this could mean exports to neighbouring markets, it could also be shipped to Europe as the replacement for the Vitara, which is nearing the end of its lifecycle.
Name:  20220617125453_Vitara.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  64.0 KB

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th June 2022 at 14:04.
volkman10 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 14:52   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Suzuki’s Global-C platform will underpin the Creta rivals from Maruti Suzuki and Toyota. Likely to be the Gen. Next Vitara for international markets too.
If this is indeed correct, then the current Vitara theory is right.

The Global C platform underpins the present 4th gen Vitara that was launched in 2015. The specs of the Japanese hybrid variant:

- 1.5-liter DualJet four-cylinder engine, 99 hp & 132 Nm of torque
- Plus, Electric motor rated at 33 hp & 60 Nm of torque
- 6-speed ASG automatic gearbox with gearshift paddles
- Combined output is 115 hp
- 6 Ah battery mounted under the cargo space
- Performance 0-100 km/h acceleration in 12.7, top speed179 km/h
- ADAS and AWD options available
- Claimed combined WLTC fuel consumption, 5.1 lt/100 km

For Europe on the other hand its combining the 1.5-litre petrol engine and a 33bhp electric motor fed by a compact 0.84kWh battery for a total output of 113bhp.

Suzuki Vitara Full Hybrid booklet

shortbread is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 16:57   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Looks like the new Vitara Brezza, no?

I doubt Toyota is getting an all new car to India. Surely, they don't expect it to be mass-market if its going to be pricey.

Dimensions also look pretty similar to the Brezza.
I LOVE A GOOD I-TOLD-YOU-SO

No but seriously, does Maruti intend to sell two cars based on the same platform? The Brezza and the Vitara?
How far apart would you price them? How do you distinguish between the two? Hybrid and IC powertrains could be a solid differentiator but will also be an equally solid reason to price the two models quite a bit apart from each other.
veedub89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 18:01   #305
BHPian

Quote:

No but seriously, does Maruti intend to sell two cars based on the same platform? The Brezza and the Vitara?
How far apart would you price them? How do you distinguish between the two? Hybrid and IC powertrains could be a solid differentiator but will also be an equally solid reason to price the two models quite a bit apart from each other.
The S Cross and Brezza are based on same platform as is the International Vitara. The erstwhile SX4 was built on this very platform as well.
Right from Swift till the Ertiga / XL6 are built on same platform. Differentiation between cars is child's play for OEMs.
The international Vitara is not coming to India. The current international Vitara might be refreshed cosmetically similar to the S Cross has been internationally. I would be shocked if the Indian S Cross replacement were to go to Europe as replacement for international Vitara. The name may be imported though.

Last edited by Carma2017 : 17th June 2022 at 18:03.
Carma2017 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 19:20   #306
BHPian

I predicted this in November 2021 itself

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-screenshot_202206171910472.png
Vignesh Vee is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 22:26   #307
BHPian

This confirms the fact that Suzuki was on a mission just to rehash its older products and launch them as the next generation Products. The Baleno, The Brezza, and The International S-Cross, all are heavily reworked versions of their previous generations. This "Creta Killer" is now rounding up to be the heavily reworked international Vitara, with an added tadka of Toyota Hybrid.

This also confirms that there will be decades-old power window switches, cheap plastics, and that lazy K15C will be present with the 6AT.

Had crossed my fingers for 1.4 Boosterjet, but with reports of it being replaced with the K15 Hybrid paired with AMT abroad, I don't think we will ever see it on our shores.

The only thing that I am looking forward to now is the Hybrid System. And if we get an AWD system, which was rumored.
umohan98 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 22:40   #308
BHPian

Not very sure about your excitement regarding the hybrid, but I had a funny experience with a Toyota hybrid taxi during my recent Singapore visit. It was pretty new, and when eve taxi stopped at the red light, the engine started revving very hard, apparently to charge the battery. It made a lot of noise inside for a minute or so before it stopped. I asked the taxi driver about this, and he said that it happens often in the hybrid. I am not sure, if it was specific to that car or if that’s how it works in a hybrid. I did not like this behaviour of the car and was quite irritated.
I cannot comment much more as it was a one off experience, but other folks who may have experienced hybrid more closely may be able to provide more info on such behaviour.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 17th June 2022 at 22:41.
ajayc123 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 07:32   #309
BHPian

Quote:

But that's what every manufacturer is doing right.Hyundai uses the same platform small modification for Creta, Alcazar etc, same kappa engine they rebottled generations nothing new same old story revamping tin cans. Honda did similar stuff with Amaze platfrom and WRV, Mobilio, BRV and what not.
I think Maruti Suzuki has been pretty successful in differentiating their lineups in spite of being on same platform.
harbinder_s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 08:44   #310
BHPian

This looks promising for sure. Even if they use Suzuki’s platform instead of Toyota’s which could be expensive, what does it matter. As long as the car is performs well and to the specifications laid down by the manufacturer, this is acceptable. Suzuki has a very strong presence in the low to mid segment which Toyota lacks. The C platform is already in use, so what’s the harm I using it for cost efficiencies.

Quote:

I think you are confused. Platforms are used for many variants. The Hexa was based on the Safari platform if I am not mistaken. Hyundai uses the same platform for several models, Toyota uses same platform for Innova and Fortuner. One costs 30 lakhs and the other closer to 50 lakhs.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 18th June 2022 at 19:31. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Edit/Quote+ functionality to quote multiple posts.
Palio_2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 09:05   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
This is actually good news if true. The Suzuki Global-C platform is a better fit for a vehicle of this class than a TNGA platform that is essentially from Daihatsu. The Toyota Avanza and Raize look cut price and built to a cost (lacks the finesse of a Toyota though not as bad as the Etios) .
longhorn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 11:06   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
It made a lot of noise inside for a minute or so before it stopped. I asked the I did not like this behaviour of the car and was quite irritated.
I cannot comment much more as it was a one off experience, but other folks who may have experienced hybrid more closely may be able to provide more info on such behaviour.
I have regularly commuted in (Taxi)Toyota Hybrids, including Rav-4, Camry, Corolla etc, never ever experienced the problems, you mentioned. May be one-off case. Moreover, I was always left impressed with the seamless transition between Hybrid, Electric and Gas, during commute. I used to have my eyes fixated on the MID to understand the transition. Drivers thought something is wrong with me?

IMO, be it DNGA or Suzuki-C Global, till they are stable and safe, that’s what a consumer longs for.

There was a whole lot of fuss on why MQB-AO-IN?Why not OG MQB platform in VAG 2.0? But after the launch, reservations have been about everything else but the platform.

Suzuki-C Global is being used Globally and has scored 5 stars. It is also used in Scross and Brezza too, which managed 4 stars, this pleasantly surprised many - we wondered how did they manage 4 stars?

Hope they do a Crash Test soon after launch and quash our doubts!
Javelin is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 14:12   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me answer your queries based on my personal opinions about these two products:

1. Almost all manufacturers around the world make (atleast some) cars of different segments on same platform. This is an old concept now so not really worth discussing again. Moreover, modular platforms are cost effective solutions for the cut throat automotive industry.

2. How far apart are they priced depends upon the tech and features loaded into the respective cars. A car designed to dethrone the leader must be priced appropriately to what it offers. Maruti has done that in the past on a few occasions and dethroned the leader of that segment.

3. Dimensions, additional features and extra tech (e.g. strong hybrid) are reasonable starting points.

There is no need for finding a reason to price the cars apart as it is going to be an obvious decision. A bigger and better package will always be priced higher even if the engines in the two products are identical and lack hybrid etc altogether.

I just hope that the interior plastics are of good quality and they dont cheapen out by sacrificing durability.
PaddleShifter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 16:12   #314
BHPian

So AMT (AGS) is confirmed in this?
Old 18th June 2022, 16:29   #315
Senior - BHPian

Is there any speculation regarding AGS already?

I do not think that this SUV/ Crossover will get an AGS instead of a proper torque converter (TC) AT mainly because Maruti has so far equipped AGS only at lower price points. S-Cross, Ciaz, XL6 etc. have all got TC ATs.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed