Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2022, 23:21   #361
BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
And importance is being given for mileage of around 30kmpl(as quoted). They were just shown a picture in which the vehicle was covered. That's it for now.
I am guessing this is for the strong hybrid and not the mild one, correct?
Also, if I understand correctly strong hybrid here mean a self charging option where the car switches back to ICE and charges the batter at standstill or during regen braking? And its not a plug in hybrid (PHEV).Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by akannath : 24th June 2022 at 23:25.
Old 24th June 2022, 23:23   #362
BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

IMHO, Toyota will price mild hybrid variants in the lines of Creta diesel. With common sense, we can understand that full hybrid can't be priced along side Creta ICE. So, it will be priced above Honda City levels. Since Hyryder is a cross over, which has fancy value in the market, will be over priced in full hybrid guise, following Toyota way.

It will be challenging for Suzuki in pricing their version. Hope there will be some strong clauses in their agreement about the pricing strategies of both the manufacturers. Interesting days ahead. I really doubt these cars will impact the sales of Koreans, which are waiting for facelift with good number of bookings.

Last edited by Hickstead : 24th June 2022 at 23:37. Reason: Corrections
Hickstead is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 07:09   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akannath View Post
I am guessing this is for the strong hybrid and not the mild one, correct?.. And its not a plug in hybrid (PHEV).Please correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, it's for strong hybrid only which is not a plug-in type.
vvrchandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 07:30   #364
BHPian

In a strong hybrid, I am still wondering how can the efficiency go upto 30kmpl. In any case the engine will need to expend energy to charge a bigger battery, that will come from fuel, and braking regen can only provide limited efficiency gains. The only thing that comes to my mind is, if at lower speeds, it runs as pure electric, some savings could come by not using the ice, thereby eliminating engine braking. But this just a guess in the air, and I would urge experts help answer this.

But, we can expect a sedate and boring machine, if there’s so much focus on efficiency.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 25th June 2022 at 18:02. Reason: kmph -> kmpl
Old 25th June 2022, 08:28   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
In as strong hybrid, I am still wondering how can the efficiency go upto 30kmph. --

See the fuel efficiency of the Yaris Cross (Hybrid). It is possible to get 30km/l in the THS.

Name:  t.JPG
Views: 511
Size:  41.5 KB
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 08:46   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
In as strong hybrid, I am still wondering how can the efficiency go upto 30kmph. In any case the engine will need to expend energy to charge a bigger battery, that will come from fuel, and braking regen can only provide limited efficiency gains. The only thing that comes to my mind is, if at lower speeds, it runs as pure electric, some savings could come by not using the ice, thereby eliminating engine braking. But this just a guess in the air, and I would urge experts help answer this.
But, we can expect a sedate and boring machine, if there’s so much focus on efficiency.
I guess @volkman has given the stats of Yaris hybrid to prove the point. Regardless, these are the ways hybrid save on fuel.
  1. Using electric motor where it's most efficient (
    low speeds ) and using petrol engine where it's most efficient ( higher speeds )
  2. Running petrol engine in a more efficient Atkinson cycle ( instead of Otto cycle ). Here any loss in power is compensated by the extra torque of electric motor whenever needed.
  3. For quick acceleration situations, both electric motor and petrol engine helps each other still running at their efficient speeds.
  4. Since AC compressor is driven directly by electricity, it doesn't need the engine to keep running at idle speeds just to maintain cabin temperature.
  5. Regen braking while coasting or while braking.
  6. Regen braking will not be adequate to keep the battery full and at times engine will have to switch on to do that. But, this is programmed to be done at the most efficient engine rpms.

Last edited by amalji : 25th June 2022 at 08:48.
amalji is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 09:47   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
IMHO, Toyota will price mild hybrid variants in the lines of Creta diesel. With common sense, we can understand that full hybrid can't be priced along side Creta ICE. So, it will be priced above Honda City levels. Since Hyryder is a cross over, which has fancy value in the market, will be over priced in full hybrid guise, following Toyota way.
Pricing the mild hybrid, which is basically a normal petrol engine at Creta diesel price level is suicidal and IMHO stupid.

Though the full hybrid can't be priced at par with the diesel, pricing it so will be good for a model that doesn't have a diesel in a segment where diesel still has a good chunk of buyers.
DicKy is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 10:08   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Pricing the mild hybrid, which is basically a normal petrol engine at Creta diesel price level is suicidal and IMHO stupid.

Though the full hybrid can't be priced at par with the diesel, pricing it so will be good for a model that doesn't have a diesel in a segment where diesel still has a good chunk of buyers.
Agree.

Mild hybrid with its non agressive 105 hp engine should be in fact priced lower than Cretas Seltos NA versions.

Strong hybrid if at all it matches the features in all aspects of Koreans can be priced 10 percent higher than the diesels.
dipen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 13:24   #369
BHPian

Toyota Hyryder Hybrid teaser video:

bobbyblr is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 14:39   #370
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder hybrid SUV teased

Toyota has dropped the first teaser image of its upcoming “self-charging hybrid electric SUV”, which is likely to be called the Urban Cruiser Hyryder. It will be unveiled on July 1, 2022.

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-self-charging-hybrid-electric-teaser.jpg

The Urban Cruiser Hyryder is rumoured to be based on Suzuki’s Global-C platform and will compete with the likes of Hyundai Creta and Kia Seltos.

The teaser image gives us a glimpse of the SUV’s front fascia. It consists of a split headlamp setup with sleek LED daytime running lights at the top with the main headlamp cluster positioned on the front bumper. The SUV also has stylish dual-tone alloy wheels.

Reports suggest that the Urban Cruiser Hyryder could be offered with Suzuki’s K15C Dual-Jet petrol engine with mild-hybrid tech. There will also be a strong hybrid version on offer.

Maruti Suzuki is also entering the mid-size SUV space with a new model. It is rumoured to be called Vitara.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 25th June 2022 at 14:41.
TusharK is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 16:37   #371
BHPian

My take on Hyryder -

1. Does it excite me? - Hell Yes, A mass Market Toyota Hybrid crossover !!
2. Will I buy one? - Hell No, since Toyota will outprice me.
3. Will I be proven wrong? - Hell No, I hoped for same everytime whenever a Toyota/Honda got launched. It never happened.
4. Do I want to be proven wrong this time? - Hell Yes, But if Toyota prices this one aggressively, then Hyundai/Kia/VW should get ready for an emergency board meeting!!

Last edited by Indepth : 25th June 2022 at 16:39. Reason: Added Noun
Indepth is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 18:43   #372
BHPian

My dad is keen to replace his company-provided Innova Crysta next year, and for now the only car we’ve considered even remotely is the BYD e6/Song Max - if Toyota price this right, no reason we wouldn’t take a look at it.
Arsenic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 19:32   #373
BHPian

If Toyota prices this in the Alcazar territory (considering the Extra Hybrid tech), Toyota will have a winner in its hands.
Considering that it's a Hybrid and Toyota being Toyota I'd be surprised if they price it comparable to Creta.

I think that job will be reserved for the Suzuki version of the same vehicle. Finally the Suzuki-Toyota combo going in for a Tag-Team battle against the Korean Twin.
ZenMaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 20:18   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

Everything is 'HYgh' on the SUV

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-hy.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th June 2022 at 20:47.
volkman10 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 20:53   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Everything is 'HYgh' on the SUV
Price will also be 'HY'. That is the crux of the 'HY' problem.

BTW, I have another 'HY', the Honda Highness. If the strong HYbrid comes with mild price, I am HYghly interested in this HYrider to replace my Brio.

Last edited by NH08 : 25th June 2022 at 21:01.
NH08 is offline   (37) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks