Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2022, 09:41   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

How will the SUV's look?

Maruti Suzuki:

Quote:
we can tell that the front of the YFG resembles the internationally sold Suzuki A-Cross SUV, which, in turn, shares its underpinnings with the Toyota RAV4.
Will be sold through the NEXA Channel.

Maruti SUV could also get six airbags, adaptive cruise control and lane-keeping assist. Both models could also get ADAS, among other active safety features.

Toyota:

Will have design cues related to Corolla Cross.

Strong hybrid petrol engine:(First in segment)

Powering the Maruti Suzuki YFG will be a ‘strong hybrid’ petrol engine sourced from Toyota. This will be a petrol engine paired to a small battery that will allow the YFG to be run purely on electric power for limited distances, given it has enough charge (much like the set-up seen in the Camry).

Launch:

Launches will happen in quick succession, for both the models, before this Diwali.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th March 2022 at 10:11.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 10:08   #47
BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

I believe I have seen this car ( or previous generation) in Europe 4 years ago. This looks similar to the grand vitara that is on sale in Europe.
I liked the look of the car minus the toothy grill back then.

Cheers!!
Old 26th March 2022, 10:47   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
Guys, among all this discussion about ATs pls excuse me to ask, is there a possibility of an MT version in either Suzuki or Toyota hybrid system?
Nope. No way.

Only manual tranny hybrid I heard of is the 1st gen Honda Insight, and it had the parallel hybrid system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
How will the SUV's look?
Maruti SUV could also get six airbags, adaptive cruise control and lane-keeping assist. Both models could also get ADAS, among other active safety features.
Interesting that ACI is still sure that the model is based on the DNGA platform.

Adaptive cruise control. Mmm... Hope Toyota Safety Sense is the one debuting here. And the styling would resemble the Corolla Cross more than the RAv4, because of the bodyshape. Just hope that the dashboard design is from the usable RAV4 than the one in the Corolla Cross.
Old 28th March 2022, 08:18   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota confirms 'mainstream' hybrids ( locally manufactured )in cars to be launched this year. Believe it will be the YFG/D22 SUV.

With an eye on E-Cars market, Toyota plans to drive in hybrids.

Japanese auto major Toyota has firmed up plans to step up its play in the green mobility segment and is readying for launch a slew of strong hybrid vehicles at the heart of the local market over the next few years to reduce vehicular emissions, till wider availability of renewable energy make electric vehicles cleaner and mainstream.

Quote:
The first of these products, which will be manufactured locally, will hit roads in the course of the year.
Vikram Kirloskar, vice chairman, Toyota Kirloskar Motor: ( on taxation on Hybrids)

Quote:
At present, the only hybrids we make are pretty large luxury cars. I think it is pretty difficult to make case for them, very frankly. As the newer generation cars come in, the mass market, at that point of time we would certainly try to make a representation.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th March 2022 at 08:44.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 12:27   #50
sbm
BHPian

It is generally accepted that one should wait atleast an year before buying a new model to iron out niggles. What about a completely new technology(for India atleast)? I know the hybrid tech is already present in mild form in a few Maruti cars but strong hybrid is a much more aggresive implementation and problems are bound to arise after mass market launch. What should one do if one needs to buy a car by the end of this year?
Old 29th March 2022, 17:01   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
It is generally accepted that one should wait atleast an year before buying a new model to iron out niggles. What about a completely new technology(for India atleast)? I know the hybrid tech is already present in mild form in a few Maruti cars but strong hybrid is a much more aggresive implementation and problems are bound to arise after mass market launch. What should one do if one needs to buy a car by the end of this year?
If the hybrid tech is from Toyota's side and not Maruti, rest assured you have atleast two decades and a half expertise in hybrids. If there is anyone who can do hybrids reliably it is Toyota. At the same time, not sure how much of localisation they are doing for this segment. If there are any car companies in India who would take care of their guinea pigs, it would be Maruti and Toyota.

That said, not sure how many would be able to get their hands on one this year itself. Considering the present situation+ the hot segment+ Maruti and Toyota badge, this would have waiting periods stretching to years.
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 17:15   #52
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
If . If there are any car companies in India who would take care of their guinea pigs, it would be Maruti and Toyota.

That said, not sure how many would be able to get their hands on one this year itself. Considering the present situation+ the hot segment+ Maruti and Toyota badge, this would have waiting periods stretching to years.
Truly said. I would anyday be more comfortable in buying a brand new model or tech from Maruti then any other manufacturer. Maruti really listens to its customers and that is the reason they are number one. I am sure same goes for Toyota.
Regarding the waiting period, I guess they would start pre-booking for this car and people would jump on to it. I just hope they get the ride and handling sorted just like the S Cross and not mess it up like the 2015 Baleno I am stuck with.
sbm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 21:10   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti's 'YFG'( ?) seen on test again:

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st March 2022 at 21:19.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 21:50   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maruti's 'YFG'( ?) seen on test again
To me this is looking exactly like the Yaris Cross!!

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-20200831_01_02_s.jpg

The rear headrest of the testmule is looking exactly the same like what is present in the Yaris Cross:
Name:  Yariscrossinterior.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  39.6 KB

YFG-D22 look a lot more boxy and most importantly, the ORVM placement is the key differentiator. On the YFG-D22 the ORVMs are placed differently compared to this test-mule (which has it's ORVMs just like the Yaris Cross).

Rumoured YFG:
Name:  YFG.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  52.1 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Toyota is said to have started producing strong hybrid engines in India. These engines are likely to power the brand's upcoming mid-size SUV (Hyundai Creta rival) and the next-gen Innova.

Attachment 2277968

We have been told that Toyota has started building the 1.5-litre and 2.0-litre hybrid engines in limited quantities. It is said that the company is building around a couple of engines per week.

Some of the newly built hybrid engines are being used for initial testing and optimization. Production is expected to be ramped up once this phase is over.

Toyota is also said to be building a 2.0-litre petrol engine. However, which models from Toyota's portfolio will use it is anyone's guess.
High probability is the Yaris Cross is being used for testing the 1.5L Hybrid engine in India

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 31st March 2022 at 22:04.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 22:04   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post

--
Toyota Yaris Cross at 4.2 m length does not make sense for launch in India.

Other thought, could this be the Baleno crossover being in Hybrid format and in a segment above Brezza? This will also have its Toyota sibling and could have the Yaris Cross styling.

But this looks like a mid-sized SUV. Multiple stylings for the D22/YFG?( Hybrid/ non-Hybrid variant?)

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st March 2022 at 22:10.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 22:41   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, most probably. Not the YFG/D22.

1. YFG/D22 don't have a quarter glass on the rear door, while this one has.
2. The The rear spoiler is curved on the sides and not very big in YFG, while it is very big and squarish just like Yaris Cross.

YFG:
Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-yf1.png Name:  YF2.PNG
Views: 942
Size:  596.8 KB

The new one:
Name:  N1.PNG
Views: 967
Size:  355.6 KB

This one looks bigger than 4m, so it may not be the Baleno Cross. As mentioned above, Suzuki may be testing their engine in the Yaris Cross Hybrid.

Anyway, as rumored, it is an SUV-onslaught from Maruti - Brezza, YFG, this new one / Baleno Cross, Jimny...

Last edited by romeomidhun : 31st March 2022 at 22:53.
romeomidhun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 13:46   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

--

Could be the Yaris Cross for India, with Suzuki branding it as Swift Cross, and hence 2023 could be the possible debut of this SUV!

With a twist in the article as the donor vehicle could be the Yaris Cross!

Quote:
Considering the collaboration between Suzuki and Toyota, the new Suzuki Swift Cross could be a rebranding version of the Toyota Yaris Cross .
Could it be the B SUV ? - market, time line and platform could differ though!

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-capture.jpg

Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd April 2022 at 14:01.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 16:54   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Could be the Yaris Cross for India, with Suzuki branding it as Swift Cross, and hence 2023 could be the possible debut of this SUV!
Yaris Cross as the Swift Cross? Bad move, I'll say. Swift has a distinct character. Yaris or its cross can never match it.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 11:29   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Yaris Cross continues to be tested.

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-284d5b4fad8e4ac79cc7f719f7b01477.jpeg

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-0b9640c93ec041d0844accffef19185d.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 12:49   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Yes, most probably. Not the YFG/D22.

1. YFG/D22 don't have a quarter glass on the rear door, while this one has.....
The D22 does have a quarter glass as far as I know in both the Toyota and Suzuki versions. Even the Baleno Cross has a quarter glass. It is a part of Suzuki-Toyota design language I guess.
Carma2017 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks