Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2022, 13:41   #676
R_R
BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

I was very excited, for a few minutes. To replace my Grand Vitara with another model that appears based on the Grand Vitara but with additional juicy features like a Hybrid engine plus Allgrip AWD would have been sweet. I guess we'll know more in the coming days, but if the Hyryder does not come with AWD+automatic, and if it's not offered with the strong Hybrid, and if the power figures are as weak as early reports suggest, then this is not for me. I will have to wait two weeks and hope that the Tucson comes with petrol+AWD.

In the Tucson Hybrid, which may not come to India, the total power is a combination of electric+petrol engines. Wondering why that is not the case in the Hyryder? Can someone clarify?
R_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:45   #677
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
Cant be anywhere near 25 kms. I would be surprised even if it is 2.5kms in pure ev mode. Its not a plugin hybrid which has some sort of range when running on pure electricity not hybrids.
--
Toyota claims thus.

Quote:
The Urban Cruiser Hyryder boasts of an electric-only range of upto 25km
Link
Old 1st July 2022, 13:49   #678
Senior - BHPian

From the initial specifications shared elsewhere in this forum, the performance of the naturally aspirated 1.5Litre, All - Wheel - Drive variant, will be tepid at best.

Keeping in mind the overall length of 4300mm or thereabouts + the added weight of the All - Wheel - Drive hardware, (rear diff + propshaft + Clutch pack + halfshafts),the vehicle can be more or less assumed to be having a kerb weight somewhere around 1300kgs. With a 103 Ps engine that would roughly translate to a power - to - weight ratio of around 78-79 Ps per ton.

This is not to be viewed as cataclysmic. With some clever gearing, Maruti & Toyota can achieve a good level of low end tractability, which is necessary for off - roading, as well as economy. Renault did this with their All - Wheel - Drive DUSTER, (first is quite low) and 4th gear has an almost 1:1 parity.
Maruti-Toyota can have a close set ratio of the first three gears, 1:1 in fourth and an overdrive on 5th.

Yes, it will not be the most economical SUV but a good balance between performance, driveability and economy can still be achieved.
arjab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:50   #679
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
In the Tucson Hybrid, which may not come to India, the total power is a combination of electric+petrol engines. Wondering why that is not the case in the Hyryder? Can someone clarify?
Its the way Toyota hybrid system works. For Hyundai the electric motor is mounted between the engine and the regular gearbox. Toyota system is much more efficient and is more advanced. Here is a video explaining how the Toyota/Lexus system works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Toyota claims thus.

Link
Clearly they havent done a good job with the presentation. There is no Toyota hybrid in the world with 25km EV range, their plug in hybrid, the RAV4 Prime and the new Lexus NX do have much more pure electric range but they are lugging big 18kwh batteries too. They also showed an image of an AWD hybrid system but contradict by saying hybrid is 2wd only.

Last edited by akhilesh : 1st July 2022 at 13:53.
akhilesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:54   #680
Senior - BHPian

If the AWD does not come with AT, then it is not even going to enter the consideration set of half the target segment. Surprised that Toyota will make such a mistake. The whole effort of integrating the AWD is pointless if it comes with only MT. Hoping against hope that this is some press release mistake and get rectified before launch.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:54   #681
BHPian

While the car looks good but for me it's a dead on arrival.
Wanted to upgrade to a 4x4 or AWD car so this seemed good when there were initial rumours about this car.

It gets the AWD but no AT and even the MT is only 5 speed. I'm coming from a 6MT Diesel so not going back to 5MT.
My personal experience with 6MT is that it's very good for highway runs.
On top of that no diesel options!
LokiPilaniya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:58   #682
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder in Midnight Bblack:

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-h.jpg

Cafe White

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-w.jpg

Cave Black

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-cb.jpg

Gaming Grey

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-gg.jpg

Enticing Silver

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-es.jpg

Sporting Red

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-toyotaurbancruiserhyryderunveiled.jpg

Enters Toyota's portfolio:

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-capture.jpg

Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-hh.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st July 2022 at 14:18.
volkman10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 14:08   #683
BHPian

Looks good to me and has an uncanny resemblance to 2022 International S Cross. The brochure says "TECT" body- interesting that they've retained the Maruti jargons in the marketing material

Dimension-wise it's similar to Creta. If they price this right (or even at a 2 lac premium to segment benchmarks), Koreans can RIP.
Old 1st July 2022, 14:09   #684
BHPian

Went through the brochure, even the E variant is nicely equipped with basic features like separate headrests at rear, projector headlights, LED drl and taillight, green glass, adjustable front seatbelts etc.
Nice variant spread and two black colors available in a time where companies are not even offering black in their whole range!
If the hybrid version comes 1-2 lakh above creta diesel auto, I'll be seriously considering replacing our duster with this.
Stolidus500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 14:09   #685
BHPian

This car looks good, however it would have been great if they would have revealed the prices as well today with deliveries later.
Also I don't understand what was the logic of using Urban Cruiser name for this, it just adds to the confusion. A bunch of people I talked about this car all thought its Toyota's sub 4m Brezza counterpart just like before.

Last edited by CafeRacer16 : 1st July 2022 at 14:11.
CafeRacer16 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 14:16   #686

Finally the giant has woken up. Given that almost 90% of the components, including some of the electric parts are localised, and the part sharing with Suzuki, I expect the ex showroom prices to be 100k more than the top variants of the Korean Siblings.
#drivingFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 14:19   #687
MCR
BHPian

A very underpowered car from Toyota. Sigh!
I feel the full Hybrid variants would fare better, thanks to the Electric motor. Market response may be dull due to limited Powertrain options and Premium Pricing of the full Hybrid Version.
Would be eager to take a Test Drive once the car hits the showroom.
MCR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 14:22   #688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
Looks good to me and has an uncanny resemblance to 2022 International S Cross. The brochure says "TECT" body- interesting that they've retained the Maruti jargons in the marketing material

Dimension-wise it's similar to Creta. If they price this right (or even at a 2 lac premium to segment benchmarks), Koreans can RIP.
2 lakh premium over the segment benchmarks like Creta or Seltos? That would be the same mistake as the Yaris! The prices need to be at par, nothing more. At best, Toyota can command a premium for the AWD and also possibly more for the Hybrid. But I’m sure that the sales of the Hybrid would be negligible if the premium is more than 1.5 lakhs, like for like.
motorworks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 14:25   #689
BHPian

Just went through the official brochure.

Comparing the V i.e top models for creature comforts of NeoDrive and Hybrid engine options. Other than the difference in engine, the Hybrid engine variant gets Ventilated Seats, TPMS, Head Up Display (not a must have) and Wireless Charger. I specifically looked for these since these features were something I was looking forward to have in my next car but they are going to be available in a car which might be upwards of 23 lacs on road in Mumbai which would be stretching my budget by a good few lacs. One thing which I didn't care about was the Panoramic Sunroof and that is the common feature between both variants. It could end up being a battle of heart vs head if and when I end up with this or any other car.
rahil_29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 14:25   #690
BHPian

Called a showroom in Delhi asking when this car will come on display- they said October
arvindtayal is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks