Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2022, 19:33   #736
BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
I am wondering about the logic of providing the spare wheel underneath the car. To me it looks very cumbersome to carry out a replacement, versus if the spare wheel was inside the boot. Can somebody comment, if I am missing something in my assumption. Or is it equally easy to remove and put a tyre back under the car?
Because in the boot is the large battery for strong hybrid
Old 1st July 2022, 19:34   #737
BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Quote:
Without getting into spreadsheets, a back of envelope calculation would be you would save in the range of about Rs 1.5 to 2.5/- per km versus NA.

If we take a median of Rs 2/- per km, it’s anyone’s guess that break even would be pretty hard to reach.

Very Basic Assumptions: (folks feel free to refine)
Fuel cost 100/- per litre.
Hybrid 20km/ litre will be 5 Rs / km
NA 14 km/ litre will be about 7 Rs / km
14kmpl in a plain ICE is probably highway mileage. Mileage in the city would probably be 8-9 kmpl.

A hybrid can maintain its mileage even in bumper to bumper traffic.

So the delta is likely 8kmpl to 22kmpl for City driving.
qaqa is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 19:43   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidusSnake View Post
Because in the boot is the large battery for strong hybrid
My question was different. Would it be more difficult to remove and attach the tyre that is attached underneath v/s if it were placed in the boot?
Old 1st July 2022, 19:45   #739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Is there a remote possibility that Maruti launches an AT with AWD? Maybe that could be a way to collaborate?
I do not think that they will consider selling AT + AWD because of the price tag of that variant.

I have been reading comments on various platforms (Youtube, social media and whatsapp etc) regarding the prices of New Brezza and HyRyder. It is funny to see our Indian psychology. Those who used to crib about lack of “novelty features” in Maruti Suzuki cars are now crying foul about the price tags of the top variants. Sunroof, 360 camera, HUD, ventilated seats etc. cost money and here they are with the justified price tag.

A proper Hybrid car with AT and AWD will sell for a higher than usual price (when compared with Creta, Seltos). And in fact that could touch the XUV/Harrier upper variant territory easily (could be even pricier than those).
PaddleShifter is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 20:00   #740
BHPian

seems like a rounded product, But apprehensive about a few things. Not convinced about the power figures, probably going to be a little slow/boring but will wait for a TD review. Very important to see how they price it, It they were to price it 25+ OTR then that would mean its falling into crysta territory though they are different products, It would still not make sense. Its again going to fall under a jack of stuff and master of none kinda zone like a lot toyota products.
Old 1st July 2022, 20:01   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akannath View Post

1. I still cant fathom the fact that the pure EV range is 25Km. This is plug in hybrids (PHEV) territory, no? Is it possible for a self-charging hybrid? I would have expected something in single digits before the ICE takes over.

If it's really 25km in EV mode, it really merits a charger to make it a full PHEV. I would suspect that 25km covers many people's commutes.
qaqa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 20:01   #742
BHPian

Does anyone have the link for booking?
Old 1st July 2022, 20:04   #743
Senior - BHPian

That's false marketing, their own specs say 177V and 4.3 AH battery which equals to 0.76kwh, has a battery similar to Honda city eHev, and 4x smaller battery than Ather 450X.

If pure EV mode gives 25kmpl using 0.76kwh battery, someone can do Kashmir-Kanyakumari on an Ather in single charge. Since it is Toyota, no one bothers, this too shall pass like their "Self Charging" campaign.
SKC-auto is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 20:14   #744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
14kmpl in a plain ICE is probably highway mileage. Mileage in the city would probably be 8-9 kmpl.

A hybrid can maintain its mileage even in bumper to bumper traffic.

So the delta is likely 8kmpl to 22kmpl for City driving.
I can't disagree with what you said. I would say city milage would vary by city, and the route use case of individuals.

My basic assumption was what was said by Toyota during the launch event that the hybrid would result in a fuel efficiency gain of 30-40%, and my assumptions were aligned to that.

However, I will rest my case here. Under different assumptions, one may lead to different answers for different people, with different use cases. The reality will be known after we have good number of cars on the road, and a better picture should gradually emerge.
Old 1st July 2022, 20:18   #745
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

AWD is MT only? I never thought that Toyota would pull a "Tata" on us. I know that most sales would be 2WD but this is just sad.
Old 1st July 2022, 20:23   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
2 lakh premium over the segment benchmarks like Creta or Seltos? That would be the same mistake as the Yaris! The prices need to be at par, nothing more.
Creta itself had proved back in 2015 that you can price cars at a premium if you are in a blue or bluer ocean I believe premium is justified when there's value for the target segment. I'd only be happy if they price Hyryder at par with Koreans or lower.

Don't know why Yaris flopped in India, I don't think its the price alone. Price could be one of the factors, but then product in itself, or marketing or sales or a combination of one or more factors could have done the damage.

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 1st July 2022 at 20:27.
Old 1st July 2022, 20:34   #747
Distinguished - BHPian

Being a Duster AWD and a Toyota Etios owner, the launch of the Hyryder was of more interest to me, than the new ScorpioN!

By using the Etios for the last 11 years, I know know how Toyota service is, and this car being a joint venture with Maruti/Suzuki, reliability wont be a concern either!
In the long run this can be a very good replacement for my Duster AWD!

What am happy about-

It's a petrol. So no DPF issues in high altitude! Plus with the NGT ban on diesels the petrol is a safer choice.
AWD is available in MT.
A time tested engine.
Toyota service backup.
Decently feature loaded.
Can expect a NCAP rating of 4 star.

My concerns-

Am not much concerned about the 101 Bhp, it wont be a scorcher, but will be decent on the highways. This will be a boring, but a fuss free car to own. I will any day pick this over the other crossovers available now!

But my point is, what will be the 1st gear crawl ratio for the AWD! Peak torque of 135NM is available at 4400 RPM. That's quite high. If the 1st gear is not a very short one, am not sure how good it will crawl on the off-roads!
Toyota skipped giving the AWD in the AT version, is it because the gear ratios of the AWD are different from the FWDs? So they didn't bother to tweak the gear ratio's for both MT and AT?

Though the AWD lock button looks promising, I will wait to test this car for it's off-road capabilities. With the ESP and all electronics, we can expect, it will have Brake traction control for the tricky situations.

2nd point is, how is Toyota going to price it. If the the ScorpioN z4, 4x4 and this car is priced closely, then for those who frequently go off road, it will be a difficult choice! Am sure one can install a MLD in the Z4,4x4 once the car will be out!

3rd is Coming from a Duster AWD, am not sure, whether it can match the off-road capabilities of a Duster AWD, but again on the other hand I do not prefer a body on frame for the highway drives. So this will be my pick over the ScorpioN!

Eagerly waiting to see more on it's off-road capabilities! The last AWD petrol we had in India was the Honda CRV (barring the Skoda Superb!). The CRV being a full time AWD, it was okay in snow or slush, but nothing more than that!

Last edited by Samba : 1st July 2022 at 20:59.
Samba is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 20:44   #748
BHPian

Looks like my wait for a good 4*4/AWD continues. I would anyway wait for some sort of crash testing results to come out for both Scorpio N and the Hyryder.

Not having an AWD for the Hybrid version is a miss. Creta and Seltos sell because of the number of variants and the options with different power trains combinations.

Toyota could really have had AT versions of AWD for both Hybrid and soft hybrid versions and a MT AWD version of the Hybrid.

The top end model for both versions should have had all the features. In this case hybrid top end has more features than the top end AWD of the soft hybrid version.

The engines seem to be pretty under powered for the this class of vehicle and AWD version would be very anemic with the Suzuki K series engine. I really do hope the tuning is better than that of the Ertiga else this is not for a vehicle that many would be impressed with especially as a drivers machine.

Currently Compass is the only short list for a 4*4 (not considered Thar as I look at it purely as lifestyle vehicle and not the only car in a single car garage). But its way too pricey for what it offers. I have had multiple test rides and with each one I am more convinced that its priced at least 4-6 lacs higher than what should have been the ideal price. MT AWD is not available as well which is a miss and not having cruise control on MT version for a 30+ L car is a sin.

Hexa anyway isn't being sold anymore. No news on next gen Duster. Though will wait for the Suzuki version of Hyryder anticipating it may have a version that I need but any vehicle associated with Maruti will always remain last on my list unless its a 5 star rated vehicle.

Plan to have a look at Scorpio N though I doubt a body on ladder vehicle would tug my heart. Looks to have everything that I need and is a hardcore off roader as well but ride quality is something that I don't think will be match for a monocoque SUV. XUV700 isnt to my liking - dont think I am ready to handle a car with such advanced features from a Indian manufacturer. I need a mechanical sorted car not a vehicle heavy on electronics.

Jeep Jeepster - whether it be launched in India or not is something that is not yet clear. With so many manufacturers in India its pretty surprising that we do not have a SUV/car which has good 4*4/AWD abilities and can carry 4/5 people in good comfort.
nibedk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 20:48   #749
BHPian

Quote:
My question was different. Would it be more difficult to remove and attach the tyre that is attached underneath v/s if it were placed in the boot?
I find it is easy if spare tyre is mounted underneath. Atleast my experience with XUV 500 and Fortuner was easy.

Tyre which is placed in the boot will be easy too if boot is empty but if there is luggage then you can imagine the situation, especially on the road trips.
LokiPilaniya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 21:19   #750
BHPian

I have booked Hybrid V variant online. I also have an active booking for Creta D AT. Do I sound wierd ? I consider Petrol Hybrid as alternative for diesel with respect to usage. Have to test drive and check how the performance will be.
Hickstead is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks