Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2022, 12:42   #241
BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

Got to know from a source that Toyota is being tightlipped about the 'unveil' to most of its employees as well. The internal email to staff was a save the date one asking them to be a part of the big announcement on Jul 1st. Also, the name being told to me is 'Urban Cruiser Hyryder'. Googled this and found news reports from Nov 2021 stating Toyota trademarked this name in Oct of last year. It makes me wonder now if the Jul 1st announcement is for a new product altogether that we all are talking about or an updated Urban Cruiser with strong hybrid technology.

Last edited by T.S. : 9th June 2022 at 12:50.
T.S. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 14:19   #242
BHPian

re: Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder

To be honest this makes more sense. A 116HP strong hybrid for a 4m car would be perfect, no complaint about under-powered etc. The strong hybrid tech could ruffle a few feathers in the sub-4m SUV market.

But -

1. Is Suzuki also having the same string hybrid combo in the 30Jun reveal? I guess so, otherwise they are getting the short end of the stick.
2. What would be the engine combo for the YFG/D22 now? I guess we don't have a moniker for the D22 if the below is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
Got to know from a source that Toyota is being tightlipped about the 'unveil' to most of its employees as well. The internal email to staff was a save the date one asking them to be a part of the big announcement on Jul 1st. Also, the name being told to me is 'Urban Cruiser Hyryder'. Googled this and found news reports from Nov 2021 stating Toyota trademarked this name in Oct of last year. It makes me wonder now if the Jul 1st announcement is for a new product altogether that we all are talking about or an updated Urban Cruiser with strong hybrid technology.
Old 9th June 2022, 14:41   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
--
2. What would be the engine combo for the YFG/D22 now? I guess we don't have a moniker for the D22 if the below is true.
Toyota's current Urban Cruiser will remain as is( compact 4 m SUV).( see earlier posts in this regard)

The new product discussed here is the mid SUV ( DD22/YFG) is a 4.3m car. Toyota will likely call it as URBAN CRUISER HYRYDER, with 'HY' standing for strong Hybrid,

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th June 2022 at 14:44.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 15:10   #244
BHPian

So, there would be the existing Urban Cruiser, as is. And then there would be the "Urban Cruiser HyRyder" a 4.3m SHEV car. Is that a good strategy?

What's the gain from borrowing the name of a lower segment car and using in a higher segment one? The borrowings generally work in the other way. This will simply cause unnecessary confusion - as they are connecting to cars from 2 different segments by the name.

They can simply call it the hyryder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Toyota's current Urban Cruiser will remain as is( compact 4 m SUV).( see earlier posts in this regard)

The new product discussed here is the mid SUV ( DD22/YFG) is a 4.3m car. Toyota will likely call it as URBAN CRUISER HYRYDER, with 'HY' standing for strong Hybrid,
cuboid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 15:15   #245
BHPian

Quote:

I feel only one of these can be true, at the best. Continuing the urban cruiser looks illogical because with an extensively revamped brezza on sale, that would negate the whole volume game.

On naming the new suv as urban cruiser hyryder, I don't think they would want a rather premium hybrid model to piggyback on a lackluster sub 4m suv's name.
Old 9th June 2022, 20:36   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems the media speculation needs a bit of correction. ( confusion arising due to similar power figures!)

Hybrid system + engine is likely to be from Toyota.(makes sense as the system is proven and more efficient than Suzuki's Hybrid)

1. DD 22/ YFG HYBRID:

- To use the Yaris Hybrid System
- Engine 1490 cc
- CVT, FWD
Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-2.jpg

2. DD22/YFG Non-Hybrid:

- To use Suzuki K15C
- Engine 1462 cc

Inference drawn from the import documents showing the same. Also shown is the spec of the Yaris Hybrid.
Maruti & Toyota's Creta-rivaling midsize SUV revealed - Urban Cruiser Hyryder-1.jpg

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th June 2022 at 22:10. Reason: as requested.
volkman10 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 21:42   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Seems the media speculation needs a bit of correction. ( confusion arising due to similar power figures!)

Hybrid system + engine is likely to be from Toyota.(makes sense as the system is proven and more efficient than Suzuki's Hybrid)

1. DD 22/ YFG HYBRID:

- To use the Yaris Hybrid System
- Engine 1490 cc
- CVT, FWD

2. DD22/YFG Non-Hybrid:

- To use Suzuki K15C
- Engine 1462 cc

Inference drawn from the import documents showing the same..
Is the hybrid version a 3 cylinder 1490cc version. The attached document mentions as such.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 9th June 2022 at 21:44.
Old 9th June 2022, 21:52   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Is the hybrid version a 3 cylinder 1490cc version. The attached document mentions as such.
Yes it is.
Extensive testing of Yaris Cross here confirms the intent to use this engine for their Hybrid cars in India.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 22:11   #249
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it is.
Extensive testing of Yaris Cross here confirms the intent to use this engine for their Hybrid cars in India.
The hybrid has its own place and set of buyers, but what is more important is what powertrain is offered on other variants. Although with ventilated seats, a panoramic sunroof, and a bold stance, a K15C will be able to satisfy the needs of regular family buyers, but with or without A/T, it will not satisfy even the mildest of enthusiasts. @volkman10, Is there any confirmation yet about the presence of a 1.4-turbo unit?

Last edited by sbm : 9th June 2022 at 22:19.
sbm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 22:27   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
@volkman10, Is there any confirmation yet about the presence of a 1.4-turbo unit?
Does Toyota have a 1.4l petrol turbo? What I've heard of is 1.6 l 3 cylinder turbo which is available in 2 state of tune - 270 BHP and 300 BHP. I guess that can be used only for some exclusive sport variants.

For mass Market variants, Toyota kind of uses hybrid as a replacement for turbo since it takes care of the low end and mid end torque deficit in a smooth linear way.

Last edited by amalji : 9th June 2022 at 22:30.
Old 9th June 2022, 22:33   #251
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Does Toyota have a 1.4l petrol turbo? What I've heard of is 1.6 l 3 cylinder turbo which is available in 2 state of tune - 270 BHP and 300 BHP. I guess that can be used only for some exclusive sport variants.

For mass Market variants, Toyota kind of uses hybrid as a replacement for turbo since it takes care of the low end and mid end torque deficit in a smooth linear way.
I don't know about Toyota, but Suzuki does have a 1.4 Boosterjet unit. I was asking about that one.
sbm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 07:09   #252
Senior - BHPian

While we can go on arguing about engine specs, hybrid means mostly the engine will never power the wheels directly and it all depends on this engine making sure the battery has enough juice at all the time or let EV powertrain run directly (like those honda gensets). Which is why I feel most of these hybrids can be happily run using NA petrol engines optimised for this purpose.

Turbo petrols might be useful for regular usage, however with diesels getting endangered, low FE of turbo petrols are not going to be the choice of the mass market.
Old 10th June 2022, 07:56   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The 1.6l turbo is just for the GR division. Too high strung for mainstream application. The smallest turbo petrol in the Dynamic Force engine family is a 2.4l. Toyota seems to be going for the non turbo right sizing strategy for mainstream products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
I don't know about Toyota, but Suzuki does have a 1.4 Boosterjet unit. I was asking about that one.
Yes, even though the latest emission norms have cut down the power from 140bhp to 129bhp, it is still a good option to have. Better suited for an AWD version. I do believe the AWD is either in the hybrid or if coming, the turbo petrol version. The K15 doesn't seem to have an AWD version anywhere else, except for the 4x4 system in the Jimny. But then, it also doesn't have a 6 speed manual anywhere, yet the D22/YFG is rumoured to have a 6 speed manual.

I wouldn't be surprised if we are confused till July 1st. The tight lipped Japs.
Old 10th June 2022, 08:08   #254
Senior - BHPian

Somehow I get the feeling that the mild hybrid will be Suzuki only with the K15C motor while the D22 will get Toyota's petrol engine with strong hybrid. I hope the Yaris Cross also gets launched here.
Old 10th June 2022, 10:46   #255
BHPian

While members are talking about "Strong Hybrid", I am wondering what that means? What is the meaning of "Strong Hybrid"?

Does the American Prius have strong hybrid and what about the Camry sold in India? Is the Honda City Hybrid not a strong hybrid? Nowhere in that thread can the words "strong hybrid" be seen.
sjain2054 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks