Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2004, 12:09   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The launch of the Liana, the replacement for the Esteem, *has been put off. Maruti has instead decided to launch a facelifted Esteem in July. The car will have new lights, bumpers and grille and interiors. So basically it'll be something lke what they did to the Zen.

Now why cant MUL understand the basic fact that The Esteem is dead. Do they think that by just changing the looks here and there people will think its a new car and buy it. No Way. The Esteem was a good car and the best selling for atleast 5 years after it was launched. Now its time for a replacement and not a facellift. Or is MUL tryin to get ALL their cars to India. I mean they will sell the facelifted Esteem alongside the Liana [if and when its launched].

I dont know how many guys here must have noticed this but MUL hasnt replaced any of its cars here in India. It has just facelifted them.

v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2004, 12:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

and the facelift's horrid too...ZEN!!

maybe they will have the older models whereas the Suzuki brand will host the new models??
Old 8th May 2004, 13:44   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

V12, Interesting observation indeed. Excepting for the original 800 from 1984-85, Maruti has not replaced any of its cars - EVER!

The Esteem is now too tired, outdated, under-sized and boring to compete effectively in the marketplace. Everyone was excited about the Liana, but with MUL deciding not to launch it....I cant help but recollect that it was Maruti who had promised they will change the face of automobiles in India by always being the leader in introducing modern products. I think that, of late, they have forgotten their original motivation. The management philosophies of PAL and HM from the pre-liberalisation days seem to be haunting MUL honchos.

I want to know more about the reasons behind this stupid decision. Will do some research and update you guys

GTO
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2004, 16:27   #4
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

How much ever MUL tries to revamp the Esteem it will never be able to stand out in fron of its competitors. The cabin will obviously remain the same. So the new design will obviosuly not match the cabin area [like the new Zen]. Then we have the engine. Its the same 1.3L engine which is small compared to the Ikon/Accent/Siena [all of which have a 1.6L]. The competitors also have more features compared to the Esteem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks