Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2007, 20:36   #1
BHPian

Owning a car may not be the best option..

This theory was always applicable and aint stop people from buying one!

It's good to know how a 20KM daily office commute in a mid-size can burn a 300 buck hole in your pocket!!

Owning a car may not be the best option-ET Cetera-News-The Economic Times
Old 8th June 2007, 21:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

How much will people pay for 'Comfort' of own car? That will offset the cost of ownership.
Old 8th June 2007, 21:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

This theory is very true but hardly having any influence on ppl....
Old 8th June 2007, 22:08   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel View Post
This theory was always applicable and aint stop people from buying one!

It's good to know how a 20KM daily office commute in a mid-size can burn a 300 buck hole in your pocket!!

Owning a car may not be the best option-ET Cetera-News-The Economic Times
I agree, walking is a better, esp in 44 degrees summer heat. You will get a sun stroke. If you die, your family is richer, if you are just hospitalized, then your medical insurance will pay the bills. Either way 300rs saved, great.
BTW my office commute is 5kms one way, and costs me 10rs.
Old 8th June 2007, 22:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

So Rs. 11 /km for own car and Rs. 15/km via Taxi.
huh!
First i call the radio taxi and wait for 30 mins.
Next the taxi is driven by rash driver.
A/C doesnt chill me.
Then at the time of leaving home, i again call radio cab. Again 30 mins wait. Again the frustrations.
To top it all, i have to hear stupid bollywood songs on 91.1 FM on cabbi's taxi (that too if he has the receiver), whereas in my own car i would have been listening to Bryan Adams in my MP3 player.
Worst of all, i dont get to drive. Driving is a great stress buster for me.

So stupid theory, i say. Doesnt work for me.
Old 8th June 2007, 22:40   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Car ownership is an almost spiritual experience for the peace of mind it offers. A sense of purpose. And, of course, driving is a very fulfilling part of life
Old 8th June 2007, 23:19   #7
BHPian

It also says...

"Better still, sell your car, you probably don’t need one with so many cabs around."

Have you ever tried to get a cab or auto rickshaw in peak hours or when it's raining?. I really want to meet this editor.
Old 8th June 2007, 23:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Great article this. Hope a lot of people read this, infact they will, as it is ET. Let me have the roads to myself. I think the most irritating part of our daily commute in India are the cars that belong to the "average" readers of ET.
Old 8th June 2007, 23:33   #9
Team-BHP Support

The author must be an accountant, they can strip the fun out of anything. The ones on TeamBHP are an exception of course. I'd love to hear his thoughts on modding and long drives.
Old 8th June 2007, 23:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

I love the freedom that my car brings to my family. And it is not such a big price to pay when you love your car...errr... family.
Old 8th June 2007, 23:56   #11
BHPian

Come on guys, the article is not totally useless. Atleast you now know where to source good quality hashish from.
I have read so many articles about how carpooling and using public transport saves you money and helps environment, but this is the first time I am reading that using a cab will help environment. Does the cab run on water or something? It burns the same frigging amount of fuel to take me from home to work whether in a cab or my own car.
Old 9th June 2007, 00:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Come on guys, the article is not totally useless. Atleast you now know where to source good quality hashish from.
I have read so many articles about how carpooling and using public transport saves you money and helps environment, but this is the first time I am reading that using a cab will help environment. Does the cab run on water or something? It burns the same frigging amount of fuel to take me from home to work whether in a cab or my own car.
But in India the Cab drivers are better (read: smarter) drivers than most of their back seat customers. On my daily commute in India the worst irritants are the new-to-the-car-experience self-drivers. Or worse still new-to-the-car-experience owners having drivers who havn't really seen it all (and hence havn't learnt it the hard way like the cabbies have!).

But right, the cabbies pollute more, not just from the tail pipe, but from the drivers window as well.

Last edited by 1100D : 9th June 2007 at 00:10.
Old 9th June 2007, 01:09   #13
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm... lofty ideals these. But, and thats a real big 'but', there is more to life than just plain numbers. Numbers only tell you a very one-sided story, the tangibles. The problem is on how to value the intangibles. And there are a lot many of them here.

Lets take some situations,
* I had a real bad day in office. At 10pm I come out of the office after promising the irate client some solutions by the next day. Now I can not see a single cab anywhere around. Damn! Now I need to wait at the gate for someone leaving at that hour and hope that he is going my way and ask for a ride. So much for my ideals.
* The next day. Again I ended up in office till 10.30pm. I know its going to be a long way home. I come out of the main gate and hey! presto, there is actually a cab there at the gate looking for customer. I ask him and he agrees after some nakhras provided I pay him 1.5x the fare. Oh, so he was looking for a bakra.
* 3'o clock at night. My kid is bawling his guts out. The poor li'l fellow has a bad case of tummy ache. Need to rush him to the nearest hospital. Now, my wife berrates me and my ideals. Where do I find a taxi at this hour? And moreover, who has the time? Shucks. I gotta go and wake up that prick of a lawyer upstairs and beg for his car keys. The bugger is going to extract his pound of flesh from me.
* Tomorrow being a general strike for the taxi associations I am still wondering how am I going to make that airport run.

Damn.... ideals be damned I am going to enquire about that car I saw.

P.S. : Has that feature writer already sold off his car? And what about the editor and the sub who added some more tweaks to it all? I guess TOI will convert all its parking lots into office space soon.
Old 9th June 2007, 01:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Hmmm... lofty ideals these. But, and thats a real big 'but', there is more to life than just plain numbers. Numbers only tell you a very one-sided story, the tangibles. The problem is on how to value the intangibles. And there are a lot many of them here.

Lets take some situations,
* I had a real bad day in office. At 10pm I come out of the office after promising the irate client some solutions by the next day. Now I can not see a single cab anywhere around. Damn! Now I need to wait at the gate for someone leaving at that hour and hope that he is going my way and ask for a ride. So much for my ideals.
* The next day. Again I ended up in office till 10.30pm. I know its going to be a long way home. I come out of the main gate and hey! presto, there is actually a cab there at the gate looking for customer. I ask him and he agrees after some nakhras provided I pay him 1.5x the fare. Oh, so he was looking for a bakra.
* 3'o clock at night. My kid is bawling his guts out. The poor li'l fellow has a bad case of tummy ache. Need to rush him to the nearest hospital. Now, my wife berrates me and my ideals. Where do I find a taxi at this hour? And moreover, who has the time? Shucks. I gotta go and wake up that prick of a lawyer upstairs and beg for his car keys. The bugger is going to extract his pound of flesh from me.
* Tomorrow being a general strike for the taxi associations I am still wondering how am I going to make that airport run.

Damn.... ideals be damned I am going to enquire about that car I saw.

P.S. : Has that feature writer already sold off his car? And what about the editor and the sub who added some more tweaks to it all? I guess TOI will convert all its parking lots into office space soon.

Zappo, people who know the benefits of the car, is not the intended target of this article, so dont pay much heed, read it, say whatever you said on the forum to yourself and chuck it and just pray for the others that have paid some importance to this article. In most cases these articles are a rip-off's from some foreign tabloids and applicable to their lifestyle rather than us.

OT my wife the other day read something about office romances in ET and I am still having a tough time at home!!
Old 9th June 2007, 01:19   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
OT my wife the other day read something about office romances in ET and I am still having a tough time at home!!

Rip off from Yahoo I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks