Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2022, 11:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ignis & S-Presso to get engine upgrades. EDIT: S-Presso launched at Rs. 4.25 lakh

Incidentally yesterday I took a test drive of the SPresso AGS with my sister(visiting from overseas) , who is a complete noob or agnostic about cars and driving ,depending on viewpoint. Sometimes its good to have feedback from such people. Her view was that the car felt like a very comfortable rickshaw especially in the rear seat and ideal for someone who's strictly considering city usage. In her opinion, 6.25 lac OTR Pune was stretching it, but this jump makes it even worse. The Arena website doesnt mention ESP, only hill hold, so I wonder what's the deal. Only a ESP switch button will validate the claim. But compared to 7 lac SPresso, even a Swift looks attractive now. For that much money at least they could have added rear power windows.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 18th July 2022 at 11:56.
fhdowntheline is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 11:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ignis & S-Presso to get engine upgrades. EDIT: S-Presso launched at Rs. 4.25 lakh

I have my doubts on the feature list mentioned, especially since the advertisement mentions 'Heart Tech' platform
What is HEARTECT then ?
NiInJa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 12:22   #18
BHPian

This is the reason we went for MT version in March '22. Originally our plan was to book AGS ( after choosing Spresso over Celerio) but SA informed delivery may take 3 to 4 months. Since already rumour was going on that all MS cars will have dualjet engines ( that time only Spresso and Ignis was remaining for updation) which will increase the price around a lakh atleast. Only difference I felt was advanced and fuel efficient but dull engine with other things remaining same. ( Calculations show that I have to drive the new dualjet engine 1 lakhs km atleast to compensate the extra lakh paid .) Since my driving is maximum on highways , K10B is better than K10C.
kvsneela is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 12:50   #19
BHPian

I am hoping with this update, they have sorted the weird steering setup.
Last year when I was looking for a small hatch I really liked the S-Presso, but the weird steering was a turn-off. If they have sorted this, then with the hill hold assist, this will be a good contender for our family small car option.
Old 18th July 2022, 13:01   #20
BHPian

car seems to have got all useful updates. But now the top end automatic will cost close to 7L OTR in Kerala. how the prices have gone up !
Old 18th July 2022, 13:06   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROD View Post
I am hoping with this update, they have sorted the weird steering setup.
Last year when I was looking for a small hatch I really liked the S-Presso, but the weird steering was a turn-off. If they have sorted this, then with the hill hold assist, this will be a good contender for our family small car option.
Based on some reviews on Brezza, this weird steering is in latest Brezza as well (I believe it was not the case before). So don't keep your hopes up.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 13:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thats a pretty steep price hike...:

The Vxi+ MT used to retail at 5.5L OTR. Now, the same costs 5.5L ex-showroom.

Certainly, MSIL are going to lose significant market share in the entry segment. Their recent pricing strategy seems to be leaned towards making more profits, the investors happy.

With the (input)metal prices going down after a 2 year bull run, chip shortage likely to remain for a good 2-3 years, all further price hikes are unreasonable, but it looks like the manufacturers are now busy filling up their pockets.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 14:38   #23
BHPian

Price bump is indeed very sharp. That too without 6 airbags.

6 airbags are going to be mandatory from 1st October. But still Maruti is launching new models with only 2. It's just another 2.5 months away. Does the Company already knows that the rule is going to be extended or it's not applicable to small and micro cars?
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 15:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Price bump is indeed very sharp. That too without 6 airbags.

6 airbags are going to be mandatory from 1st October. But still Maruti is launching new models with only 2. It's just another 2.5 months away. Does the Company already knows that the rule is going to be extended or it's not applicable to small and micro cars?
Indeed there is no clarity about this regulation. Industry insiders say that the ball is in government's court with entire automotive industry unitedly quoting that Oct 2022 is not possible because the regulation not only needs airbags but also crash sensors, controllers and possibly structural changes as well.
Carma2017 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 15:28   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post

Certainly, MSIL are going to lose significant market share in the entry segment. Their recent pricing strategy seems to be leaned towards making more profits, the investors happy.

There is absolutely no competition in this segment. MSIL will lose market share to who?
shifu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 16:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
There is absolutely no competition in this segment. MSIL will lose market share to who?
Please ignore the word 'segment'.

With Magnite, Kiger, Punch, Tiago, Altroz, Triber etc.. starting from around Rs.7.5L on the road, consumers are moving over from Wagon R's, S-Presso's. Though the sales numbers of Wagon-R, S-Presso are still high, they have lost a significant percentage of the buyers to the competitors.

The customer's spending ability may have increased, but that doesn't mean they will buy a A-segment hatch for 7-8L or a CSUV for 17L. They can only retain their market share as long as the customer is cross-shopping within Maruti.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 22:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Actually, we shouldnt be too surprised with this. The top end Celerio with the same engine also retails for over 7 lac. The only saving grace is the slightly better interior quality, but the car itself not so well optimized in terms of cabin space for the overall dimensions it has. Basically what Maruti is saying is if you want a hatch, go for the Celerio, if you want a microSUV go for the S Presso.
Old 18th July 2022, 22:59   #28
BHPian

With the pricing of the S-Presso, it will be interesting to see how Maruti position the new Alto. I'm going to guess it will get the same 1.0-litre engine and will get more features removed compared to its slightly more expensive siblings. Does Maruti price it closer to the S-Presso lower end where the Alto VXi will certainly eat into sales?

Also, Citroen may actually have a winner on their hands if they price it around the same range as the S-Presso and Celerio. Today's buyers are becoming smarter with their money and aren't afraid to consider a better product while ignoring past glories.
Old 18th July 2022, 23:47   #29
BHPian

Been trying to compare the changes in specs of the updated S-presso (with the K10C engine) Vs. the previous S-presso (having the K10B engine) based on the brochures. Below table has some key differences.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ignis & S-Presso to get engine upgrades. EDIT: S-Presso launched at Rs. 4.25 lakh-spresso-comparison.png  

Last edited by manij : 19th July 2022 at 00:09.
manij is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 00:54   #30

Does anyone have any news on when the Ignis is launching with Dual-Jet engine?
gpnofear is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks