Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2022, 20:06   #391
Team-BHP Support

re: Toyota Innova Hycross, now unveiled

It will be very interesting to see what happens to the new Fortuner A lot of sales are going to this HY.

On the technical front, will Fortuner still carry old chassis, or will it also be a monocoque? And most importantly, is it the end of Diesels for Toyota in India?
Turbanator is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 20:13   #392
Kln
BHPian

Eagerly anticipating the inevitable Maruti clone of this - would be interesting to see who cannibalises whom.
Old 21st November 2022, 21:13   #393
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It will be very interesting to see what happens to the new Fortuner A lot of sales are going to this HY.

On the technical front, will Fortuner still carry old chassis, or will it also be a monocoque? And most importantly, is it the end of Diesels for Toyota in India?
I booked the Petrol Fortuner yesterday, choosing and settling at this car was a roller-coaster!
Going from Octavia to a Innova, then a Superb to finally a Fortuner!
I have never felt so indecisive in my life!

Now comes the HyCross, this has got us thinking,
thankfully, the Fortuner will take 3 months to come and the booking will be transferrable to the Hy w/o any charges.

I do think the Brand value of a Fortuner is heavier than the mileage this hybrid can give!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 22nd November 2022 at 04:26. Reason: TFort -> Fortuner. Please use the actual name of the car.
KI07 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 21:53   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
Key to Innova's success is its careless and effortless driving no matter number of passengers or uphill drive or no terrain at all. This will be interesting to watch out for.
Innova's success had been somewhat attributed to it being popular with taxi and touring companies. With the diesel variant gone, and only petrol and hybrid with the new generation, and the likely higher pricing, it may lose its taxi image and gain more acceptance with the general consumers.
iTNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 22:08   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Innova's success had been somewhat attributed to it being popular with taxi and touring companies. With the diesel variant gone, and only petrol and hybrid with the new generation, and the likely higher pricing, it may lose its taxi image and gain more acceptance with the general consumers.
While it was popular with taxi, it was equally popular with politicians, govt officials, private owners and is a must car in a multi car garage. Be it 369 garage, tour operator or chief minister, everyone embraced Innova. It might have boring driving dynamics but there is something that kept all occupants happy.

While diesel is taxi favorite, they are slowly moving towards petrol due to lack of availability of diesel models. Ertiga has shown that petrol taxi can sell well but yes Innova is different ballgame. Will have to wait and watch if Toyota indeed will continue with diesel Crysta.
PrideRed is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 22:09   #396
Senior - BHPian

Going by what each manufacturer has done with recent launches, I am fairly certain Toyota is going to completely milk the pricing. I just checked that a top end Hyryder in Bangalore costs ~23.5 lac on road. XUV700 top end is ~30 lac BLR and I am certain Toyota will surely command and want a premium over Mahindra. I am anticipating the top end will be in range of 35 lac on road at launch.
supertinu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 22:14   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
I think the cabs will also switch to hybrids when more state governments reduce the usable life of diesel. A vehicle with lower usable life will have a low resale and that is an important parameter while calculating profitability for fleet owners. With Crysta, they get great resale even after lakhs of kms. Hycross can give them the same benefit. No Tata or Mahindra can give them that. So they will run out of alternatives when Crysta diesel goes away and will settle for these hybrids. Toyota hybrids already have taxi image in most developed countries. Camry, Corolla, or even Alphards are taxies in many countries.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 22:36   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Next-Gen Fortuner will move to the TNGA-F platform, which is a body-on-frame platform that also underpins the new Tundra, Sequoia and LC300. And it will still come with the diesel according to rumours. I have my fingers crossed for the 3.3L V6 diesel of the LC300 to make it into the next gen Fortuner. But I guess it will continue to get the same engine with a mild hybrid system like Maruti’s SHVS system.

Toyota could’ve added the AWD system they have to the HyCross with the 2.0L Hybrid engine like they do for cars like the Voxy/Noah but they haven’t for the simple reason that it will eat into Fortuner sales in SE-Asian markets!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 21st November 2022 at 22:38.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 22:41   #399
BHPian

Car looks great! Toyota has done a great job in side profiling which is the main sore point in the present Innova. The hybrid engine will be a game changer in this segment. What would be its boot space?
On4Wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 23:32   #400
BHPian

Car is good looking with a somewhat butch front end. Design is not edgy/ funky and will age well too. In my books, only the Kodiaq and the Harrier/ Safari provide it company in the good looks department

It may or may not appeal to the taxi and "go anywhere" segment - but will surely score big time with the urban and family buyer. Another sure-fire hit from Toyota. Just hope they come up with sensible pricing

Last edited by RoadTiger : 21st November 2022 at 23:33.
RoadTiger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 00:14   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
While I agree Zenix is better than Crysta in almost all possible ways, Crysta was launched in 2016 and when launched had period correct features, mechanicals and tech. Cars do get dated quickly, a XUV700 will get outdated in terms of tech in 2 or 3 years from now. Diesel engine will be missed but I am sure Hybrid is the way forward. Overall dimensions, engine, feature set clearly point out this is the next gen Innova.
The problem was, that was 7 years ago and while the price has steadily gone up while the engine size and power has gone down. Value for money has gone for a toss.

The current innova crysta was launched in 2016 with the top model having a 2.8L engine producing 172hp and a 6 speed gearbox, all for the price of 20L ex showroom.

In 2022, you can now get the same Innova Crysta but only with the cheaper 2.4L engine option that produces 148hp for 26.7L ex showroom. Even the most dedicated Toyota customer has to admit that this is ridiculous. During this time, the competition have all added features and steadily become better and more modern.

The cost to manufacture an item only goes down the longer it has been in production. Even after accounting for costs of raw materials, inflation and the decreasing value of INR, the value for money quotient of this equation has gone for a toss. The cost to produce anything only goes down the longer it has been in production, whether it be mobile phones or cars.

This new gen Innova has been long overdue.
Cresterk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 02:59   #402
BHPian

I am surprised how they packaged over all. Saw few Indonesian auto channel videos, the boot space is considerably looking bigger >300ltrs with 3row seat up, and 3rd seems to have good leg room, although looked a bit knees up for tall passengers, but someone with5'7" should be ok. More important seems like seats slide for 3rd row for ingress and egress so that makes 3rd row flexible with knee room since 2nd row slides, have seen it on captain seats, hope same applies for bench seats, Will miss tumble functionality though. Dash looks nice and seating seems a bit on higher side. Don't think this gets electric seat adjustment for either driver or passenger. Strangely this seems limited to captain seats with ottoman functionality. Curtain airbag extends to 3rd row, a good to have safety feature, also ADAS is mandatory, regardless of how effective it is, our roads are becoming way better, thanks Toyota. Only thing is how would it do when climbing inclines with 7 people on in it. Will the Strong hybrid pull enough, feels like electric motor should have enough instant torque, I will wait for test drive, when it launches here for my comments on that.

I just hope the 2nd row monitor comes only as accessories and top end model has bench seats, as not lot of us need captain seats and considering the bells and whistles like ottoman function and electric adjustments, this will drive the price up. Also doesn't look like its has seat ventilation. The 10" infotainment with decent bezels is a welcome, sick of thick bezels in 2022. hope they can do 360 cam on a mid variant, as this is pretty long car.

This observation is all based on Zenix's interiors and videos, not sure how different or reduced model we might get. Not the first time India has been shown a relative lower spec variant to cut cost. Hope Toyota can price it between 22-28L ex-showroom for strong Hybrid, else I can kiss my Hycross good bye as budget is way beyond what I can afford, considering Telangana Govt charges a hefty road tax (recent Govt gift).

Also a question, does any state or central government provide any FAME or any subsidies for self charging Hybrid electric vehicles, heard Haryana has some, but not sure though.

Edits: Seems like top end model also has DVR functionality as per the Indonesian brochure

Last edited by Wakeupsid : 22nd November 2022 at 03:06. Reason: Added DVR feature in the comment
Wakeupsid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 03:33   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by city2491 View Post
Totally in agreement with the features point of view. BUT. An HEV with 206hp is not the same as a diesel with 154hp.
Why not? Electric motors make maximum torque at zero rpm, a diesel engine does not. There is no accompanying vibrations either, just smooth flow of power. And the efficiency is going to be much better too, on the highway and more so in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city2491 View Post
And a TC is not the same as an eCVT. The torque from a turbo diesel is far superior than the linear acceleration of an HEV.
And in Hybrid's case it is a much superior transmissions because it works via a planetary gearset unlike a traditional belt and pulley cvt transmission, which in theory is still the best way to get power out of the engine because it has "infinite" ratios, but has issue with responsiveness.

And no - diesels do not have far superior torque than an electric motor.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd November 2022 at 06:53. Reason: Minor punctuation edit for readability.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 08:12   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

The KIJANG INNOVA ZENIX HYBRID, road test (mini) in Indonesia:

Name:  momentestdrivetoyotakijanginnovazenixyangnyamanbanget1_169.jpeg
Views: 579
Size:  78.1 KB

Name:  momentestdrivetoyotakijanginnovazenixyangnyamanbanget6_169.jpeg
Views: 539
Size:  79.3 KB

Toyota Innova Hycross, now unveiled-221aa25f3f1d1f4741afd544a218878f.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross, now unveiled-268ff7ed1a687dda809d1816930ec955.jpg

In this first drive, the Innova Hybrid feels smoother, more comfortable, and more sophisticated.

The new gasoline alone is about 1 to 15 (15 km per liter), hybrid 1 to 21 (21 km per liter): Toyota

Quote:
First, try the C-pillar passenger seat or the rearmost seat. The seats feel comfortable and the legs still fit relatively for 188 cm in height. However, the cabin on this pillar still feels less impermeable because it enters through the gap in the upper trunk door.

Turning to the driver's section, the comfort of the A-pillar, which is a concern is the wide range of sight or visibility, thanks to the smaller A-pillar triangular glass bulkhead.

The steering wheel is also more ergonomic thanks to the steering wheel that feels lighter to rotate, both at rest and on maneuver.

Unfortunately, with a short and less conducive test distance, did not have time to explore the performance of the inline M20A-FXS 4-cylinder hybrid engine with a capacity of 1,987 cc. However, the hybrid battery had been operating for approximately 5 seconds and helped with the initial acceleration, because it was charged by the conventional engine even though it was not optimally charged.

When it comes to the comfort of the legs, Zenix's Innova Hybrid is indeed quieter and more rigid thanks to the TNGA platform: the new GA-C which replaces its old ladder frame chassis which has a heavier weight.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd November 2022 at 08:34.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 08:48   #405
Senior - BHPian

From the reviews, the third row has a lot of space. This looks a lot like the new-generation Kluger in Australia. I think this is the answer for all those struggling to find the perfect car in the 22-32 L segment. It will give sleepless nights to a lot of cars.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks