Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2022, 09:19   #616
BHPian

re: Toyota Innova Hycross, now unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post

Hybrids with its battery pack, power generator, IC engine is complex with many components (more potential points of failure) and will be expensive to maintain in the longer run.

If the charging infra gets a monumental push like in China, then pure EVs is the right choice to transition from traditional fossil fuel engines. Hopefully the EV infra setup will accelerate in a couple of years.

Tata and Mahindra are ahead in the EV space for sure, while the Japs (Honda, Toyota) are betting on hybrids. Healthy competition is always welcome and benefits customer.

The efforts by Tata and Mahindra to launch 5 star safety rated vehicles for the Indian market is laudable
For Delhi NCR buying hybrids is no-brainer decision.
I don't think maintaining a hybrid from Toyota would be anymore expensive then maintaining a ICE or a Electric vehicle. Toyota vehicles world over are know for reliability which includes their hybrids. One has to compare new technologies from one car maker to new technologies from another car maker and that's when you come across which is better when it comes to maintenance. Almost all car companies have struggled with Turbocharger and Automatic gear boxes and the phenomenon is seen world over not just in India. But the difference remains thanks to lax laws in India, car companies get away without owning any responsibility and it's the customer which suffers. I have waited for almost a year to buy the most reliable and practical, low running cost petrol Automatic below 20LACs to replace my diesel fluidic verna. I like to my car to keep servicing me for long. None of the cars available in Indian market suited me although I kept advising others to buy harrier, XUV700, XUV300, Nexa but when it came down to buying for my own use case, i finally booked Hyryder G-Hybrid.
Tatas are not interested to make proper petrol Automatics. AMTs are a big no to me. And where are the petrol engines by Tata. The new DCA might be an answer but it's product launches are too slow. And the little said about after sales service the better.
XUV700 might be great value for money, but for a heavy mile muncher it's petrol engine has too low fuel efficiency. Not the car you can use for daily commute.
Hyundai's have become too unreliable with their turbos and automatic gearboxes failing almost everyday. The only one which I can still look forward too is IVT gearbox. But although reliable. CVTs are too slow when it comes to pickup for a quick overtaking.

Lastly about EVs. It's easy advising others but when it comes to buying your own car, which might be the only car you are driving "EVs " still feel niche cars only. Most of us staying in society flats have no proper charging infrastructure and may not be possible for some in their allotted parking spaces. Now when it comes to public charging, remember even the fastest charger takes 30minutes to charge. It's been 20years when CNGs were launched in Delhi NCR and despite atleast 1% population migrating to CNG we still have long ques at CNG stations even at night. A CNG vehicles takes around 5minutes to charge, so a vehicle which takes 30mintes to charge i can't imagine the size of ques 20 years from now. There are other questions too which need to be answered. I don't want to buy a diesel vehicle as I take the life to be only 10years in Delhi NCR. But what about an electric vehicle. I take the life to be only "8 years" only. Around 80% of the cost of an EV is the battery pack, so if I am lucky and the battery died before 8 years the manufacturer might replace it but if it fails after 8 years, what Is the cost of replacement of the battery , no manufacturer is ready to answer that. Almost all lithium mines across the world are either owned or leased by China, so no amount of make in India will succeed unless we bring new battery chemistries to mainstream affordable commercial use. People are still buying EVs as the government is heavily subsidising them with zero road taxes and next to zero taxes, remove those tax rebates and see how many of us buy an electric vehicle. The new launch hybrids are succeeding despite no tax rebates from the government. It's not a level playing field for a hybrid manufacturers in India. So the government is not working for the people but working for those manufacturers who are lobbying them subsidies for testing there beta technologies.

So in the end why a hybrid for me. It offers me just the perfect Automatic gearbox i am looking for(Reliable, with little to no rubberband effect, highly fuel efficient). Battery replacement cost after 8 years may not be as prohibitive as it's still just 1KV to 2KV battery unlike a 50KV battery in case of EV and ofcourse the reliability/After sales of Toyota/Suzuki repute.

To the government if they are really serious about reducing fuel import bills and pollution, please provide subsidies to all the technologies which help achieve desired goals. The hybrids may help them achieve the goal faster then a pure EV in present scenario. Please don't just work for Tatas or Mahindras but honestly work for the people, remember India is an open economy and not the closed economy of Indira time, which favoured home grown companies like " Bajaj " at the cost of people.
drsachin is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 09:32   #617
BHPian

This looks like a Hyundai launch than Toyota. No innovation at all.

- Innova badge will always carry a taxi image which nobody would want after spending 30-40L
- Toyota has never been able to match the interior quality of luxury cars
- Both interior and exterior design looks dated even before the launch.
- The EV battery & motor is going to cost a lot when replaced since majority of Toyota customers keep their cars for a very long period
adi58 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 10:15   #618
Senior - BHPian

Few observations from my side as a Crysta owner looking at walk around videos.

As expected the car looks better and proportional than current Crysta in most angles.
The car is loaded with gizmos and features as expected. I don't need to go in to these well documented additions. Two features which I sorely miss in, Crysta are memory and ventilated seats. Happy that they are provided. Wireless Apple play and AA are welcome additions.

But I some how find the interiors lacking the wow factor. The dash mounted gear lever is sticking out like a sore thump. The seats also look and feel less plush. The flight like trays in the middle row are gone. So is the Boss mode lever.
The tumble option for middle seats for entry in to back seat is also eliminated. One airbag is gone. Buttons on the AC and head unit will be missed. The digital MID is tacky and I prefer the analog ones. The slow acting seat recliner and boot can be frustrating after novelty weans off.
So there are some notable deletions as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post

This kinetic advantage will prevail at higher speeds too - The Crysta 2.4 Diesel AT does 0-100 in 13.3 seconds while the Hycross hybrid does the same in 9.5 seconds! The Innova Diesel AT gives 10-11 kpl in city while the Innova Hycross will give 20 kpl. In terms of comfort, many of my German colleagues who visit us here find the Diesel Innova's ladder frame chassis to be very uncomfortable, since it causes a lot of irregular movement of the passenger cabin - front to back, up and down and laterally as well. They have, in fact, specifically made a standing request to avoid Innova for their office commute and asked for a petrol Ertiga whenever they are here. The Hycross will have a much more.planted and calm ride due to the monocoque construction. So on all parameters, whether it be acceleration, fuel efficiency or comfort, the Hycross will be way ahead of the Crysta.

Having driven Crysta for around 8000KM I find this grossly exaggerated. Unless some one is told that Crysta is BOF and you will move around a bit at lower speeds, the German guys are over reacting. My family finds the ride in Crysta the best even in city. And on highways the ride quality is unmatched. So this can only be a subjective opinion.,
Coming to mileage, I thought such big size cars are purposed for long highway drives, if you get good mileage in city and less on highways as mentioned in the Hyryder TBHP review, soon big cars with hybrid engines will flood already congested city roads.
Quote:
The highlight and the biggest USP of the Hyryder hybrid have to be its fuel efficiency. Inside the city, with a normal driving style that isn't too aggressive, you will comfortably see close to 20 km/l and maybe even more. We drove through some small towns and were able to extract 22 km/l from the Hyryder without trying too hard. The more you use the car in slow moving traffic the better FE you get. The highway is where the FE drops below 20 km/l and when driving uphill, you can see as low as 12 km/l.
Also if Hyryder is getting 20KMPL in city a much more heavier 8 seater like Hycross will get max 16-17. On highways Crysta may even beat Hycross, fully loaded 90-100 cruising speeds on mileage. I am continuously getting 15-16 under these driving conditions. Let us wait and watch.

Last edited by poloman : 26th November 2022 at 10:20.
poloman is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 10:32   #619
BHPian

Anybody noticed the wheels , they are silver coated like LEXUS .
Not the usual chrome or diamond cut .
motor spirit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 10:39   #620
Distinguished - BHPian

Official Press release:

- Uniquely designed vehicle, that combines the proportions & poise of an SUV with the spaciousness of an MPV
- Latest 5th Generation Self-Charging Strong Hybrid Electric System built on Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) platform providing best in class fuel efficiency of 21.1 km/l * quick acceleration, easy maneuverability, and high ride quality as part of Toyota’s multi-pathway offering towards its diverse customers in India
- Safety package includes the TOYOTA SAFETY SENSE TM (TSS), which is first for any Toyota model being sold in India
- New Exterior colors with Blackish Ageha Glass Flake
- New Interior colors with Chestnut & Black Dual tone, Dark Chestnut
- First in segment features include Paddle shift, Powered Ottoman 2nd row seats, Front Ventilated seats, Air conditioner (Dual zone – front and rear zone), Rear Retractable Sunshade, Electrochromic Inner Rear View Mirror (EC IRVM), Power Back Door and Dual Function Daytime Running Light (DRL)
- Wheelbase of 285 cm (longest in the segment)
- Available in the following grades
Toyota Innova Hycross, now unveiled-1.jpg

Key features of Innova HyCross

1. Performance features
- A Self-Charging Strong Hybrid Electric vehicle that comes with a TNGA 2.0-Litre Engine with Toyota Hybrid System (THS) & e-drive transmission, delivering combined max power output of 137 kW (186 PS)
- The Gasoline grades comes with a TNGA 2.0 Litre engine delivering an output of 128 kW (174 PS) (186 PS)

2. Exterior features
- Panoramic Sunroof
- Front grille with Gun Metal Finish
- Automatic LED Headlamps with Auto High beam
- First in segment Dual Function Daytime Running Light (DRL)

3. Interior features / Comfort and convenience
- First in segment features include Paddle Shift, Powered Ottoman 2nd Row Seats, Front Ventilated seats, Air conditioner (Dual Zone – Front and Rear zone), Rear Retractable Sunshade, Electrochromic Inner Rear View Mirror (EC IRVM) and Power Back Door

Other key features
- Large TFT Multi Information display
- Driver Seat Memory and Slide Return and Away Function
- Indirect Blue Ambient illumination

4. Infotainment system
- Connected 25.65 cms (10.1”) connected display audio with premium, JBL 9 speaker (Including subwoofer)
- Toyota Connected car technology - iConnect

5. Safety features
- TOYOTA SAFETY SENSE TM (TSS) ** that includes safety features like (Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Lane Trace Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Blind Spot Monitor, ^Pre- Collision System, Auto High Beam)
- 6 SRS Airbags
- Rear Disc Brakes
- Vehicle Stability Control(VSC) and Hill Start Assist
- Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) with Auto Hold
- Antilock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
- Panoramic View Monitor with Dynamic Back Guide

Quote:
Being a Self-Charging Strong Hybrid Electric Vehicle (SHEV), the Innova Hycross is capable of running 40% of the distance and 60% of the time in electric(EV) or zero emission mode.***
***(Under specific test conditions for Strong Hybrid Electric Vehicle)

The new Innova HyCross offers the renowned Toyota experience through a warranty of 3 years/100,000 kilometers and an option of extended warranty of up to 5 years/220,000 kilometers, 3 years free roadside assistance, attractive financial schemes and 8 yrs/160,000 kilometers warranty on the Hybrid battery.

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th November 2022 at 10:42.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 10:40   #621

(Humor)
Customer: wow what a car !
Toyota : grinning
Customer: how much?
Toyota: *smirk* just 34-40L OTR depending on model & city
Customer: why ain’t 6 airbags standard?
Toyota: *slyly* only zx variant deserves it!!
Huzi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 10:54   #622
BHPian

How much sense does it make to buy 7 seater GX 2.0 petrol automatic?

New GX comes with standard features like 8 inch infotainment, Electronic parking brake, Driving modes, Push start-stop with smart entry, Led headlights, Rear wash and wipe, Electrically operated ORVM.

The only things that could be termed as a miss are Cruise control, Paddle shifts, Rear demister and Sun shades.

It should have lower gross weight due to absence of battery and complicated hybrid transmission. Lesser high voltage wires running around engine bay. Overall less high tech and less prone to costly replacement or repairs.

What do tbhpians think about GX?

At 25-27 lacs OTR, would it be worthy cross country vehicle for road trips with friends and family?

Last edited by varunswnt : 26th November 2022 at 11:01.
varunswnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 11:04   #623
Senior - BHPian

The Innova Hycross is a blessing for Delhi-NCR folks who until now have to think twice before investing their money in petrol powered mid-sized SUVs given the rising fuel costs and feeble Fuel efficiency figures of such vehicles.

What remains to be seen is how the hybrid technology in the likes of City, Vitara/Hyryder, Innova Hycross holds up in terms of long term reliability and maintanence costs.

The Innova Hycross with Hybrid powertrain, for me atleast, is the final nail in the coffin as far as new R&D into Diesel vehicles in general in India (or even across the globe) is concerned. If there ever was epitome of sucess of Diesel engined people mover, it was the legacy of Qualis/Innova, and with the transition to Hybrid (and perhaps in future, fully electric), Toyota has transitioned to and changed the future of mobility, forever.

By the way, authorities should seriously consider extending the life of Electric and Hybrid cars to aleast 20 years in Delhi-NCR.
DCEite is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 11:05   #624
BHPian

Do we have any numbers on the bookings received for Hycross on day 1? Couldn't find any information online yet.
Old 26th November 2022, 11:35   #625

• Spoke to the Toyota dealer in Blr.
  • He mentioned that while there have been a sudden spurt in cancellations for Hyryder Hybrid (extra-ordinary delay, QA issues, semiconductor shortage, CNG production..etc), many are now cancelling previous booking done for the top-end Hyryder and preferring the Innova HyCross Hybrid, in the hope of early delivery, despite the fact that actual pricing are not yet been revealed!
Prakash Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 11:37   #626
BHPian

Just my 2 cents.

Given the Crysta diesel will be sold as well, this Hycross will never be the choice of fleet owners or yellow-board requirements. So the top variant only with captain seats (and not a bench seat) will definitely be a bummer for many potential personal use buyers.
Since this car is positioned to be more fun to drive (unlike Crysta), as a prospect, spending 30L to get only 2 airbags, while 6 airbags and some other features are only limited to top-variant is a huge letdown for me.

Most likely the Fortuner and Crysta will be diesel-only models and while Hycross is the only petrol option, I definitely want to customize my Hycross to my likes. And while the new Kia Carnival launch is around the corner, Toyota MUST revisit the variants and options if it has to replicate the success of Crysta or Fortuner.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 11:53   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
How much sense does it make to buy 7 seater GX 2.0 petrol automatic?

The only things that could be termed as a miss are Cruise control, Paddle shifts, Rear demister and Sun shades.

What do tbhpians think about GX?

At 25-27 lacs OTR, would it be worthy cross country vehicle for road trips with friends and family?
Cruise control is needed for long highway drives. It help relax the right foot. Hope it can be installed after market. For my sold Seltos HTK, I had installed it for ₹3000. I see videos in YouTube for installing Cruise control in Crysta G variant.

What is the mileage for non hybrid Hycross?
What will the Hybrid Hycross mileage for pure highway use? If the difference is below 5kmpl (highway run only) then GX non hybrid would make more sense. (assuming the price difference of VX and GX is 2.5 to 3 lakh).

Pricing matters a lot for G,GX and VX variants. Since customers could get the top end variants of XUV700 or Safari for the same amount.

Hope we can have vote to guess the price ranges (ex showroom) for each variant. My guess (ex showroom)

G - 19.9 lakh
GX - 21 lakh
VX Hybrid - 24.5 lakh
ZX - 28 lakh
ZX(O) - 29.5 lakh.

I am hoping Toyota to surprise us and not shock us with the pricing. Fingers crossed.
jthomas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 11:55   #628
BHPian

Had noticed that the wheels look small for a vehicle of this size. The same has been called out on many reviews as well.
R18 is fine. But 225/50 is not. This seriously requires a review. An otherwise well proportioned vehicle looks odd due to this fact.

Also, more options on interior finish (other than chestnut brown alone) would be good.

Personally, would have preferred if this was just called Toyota Hycross.
subbarp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 12:04   #629
BHPian

Re: Next-generation Toyota Innova spotted in India. EDIT: Now unveiled (Pg. 40)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoval View Post
Made an online booking for the VX 8 seater variant right now. Paid Rs. 50,000/- as the booking amount. Why are dealers asking for 1 lakh as the booking amount?
I had the same issue with Lakozy toyota in Mumbai. He kept insisting that booking amount is 1 lac. I even sent his a screenshot of toyota website where official booking amount is ₹50000.

He said he will talk to senior management and get back to me.

He called me back by 5.00 saying that sir it ok on your special request I will take your booking for ₹50000, but then I had already put my booking with Wasan Toyota. So his loss.
drjaygoyal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 12:19   #630
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross, now unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Since this car is positioned to be more fun to drive (unlike Crysta), as a prospect, spending 30L to get only 2 airbags, while 6 airbags and some other features are only limited to top-variant is a huge letdown for me.
Exactly, 6 airbags should have been made standard from GX onwards or atleast hybrid variant onwards. If Toyota wants to shift their customer base to Personal buyers at this price point, then 6 airbags would have been that tipping point for many fence sitters.
varunswnt is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks