Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2022, 16:47   #691
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross, now unveiled

Perspective from existing Crysta 2.8z owner.

Highcross added 3 major features that existing Crysta owners wished to have.

1. Sunroof-when even cheap hatchbacks have them now, why not on a premium MPV?

2. JBL system-Crysta's audio was very average at its price point.

3. Sun blinds-Should have been given default in all vehicles after the ban on sun films.

Other features are good to have but do not really excite me.

1. Power & 0-100 figures. Power & 0-100 figures are very much comparable. Whereas Crysta was miles ahead on torque figures. Really matters when 7 people + luggage is on board or going uphill.

2. Fuel efficiency (Hybrid). Does not really matter. Diesel is cheaper compared to petrol, Crysta is going to be much cheaper compared to Hycross, and life/maintenance on battery after 5-7 years.

3. Ottoman seats. Not really useful when there are more than 3 passenges on board-not enough space to extend the legs. Crysta had the option to push & adjust front seat all the way back to make a flatbed for the middle seat-even better.

Other features are really tempting but do not really make you jump the ships. Ventilated & memory seats, powered tailgate, and better interiors all are good to have features.
smasher is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 17:47   #692
BHPian

Folks, who have booked with a dealer - Did you get a Toyota booking number as well?

I have just recieved a payement recieved reciept with no details on car or model number (This is with Em Pee Motors, Chandigarh) - Is this the norm for all dealers?

Thanks!
mountainboy1213 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 17:51   #693
BHPian

My SA called to confirm on variant and I chose VX Hybrid (Pearl White color). Didn't get chance to ask about the booking amount refund as I had paid 1 lac for booking prior to launch day. They also did not bring it up.

Comparing the VX vs ZX variant exterior.

VX is missing the following:-
1. DRL and the chrome styling around the DRL area
2. Chrome window beltline
3. Chrome Door Handles
4. Alloy wheel size difference and finish (VX got silver, whereas ZX is stainless steel finish)
5. Wheel Arch Cladding.

Point 1, 2, 3, 4 can be done outside. For point 5- Wheel Arch cladding, shouldn't there be holes drilled on the wheel arch sheet metal for the cladding to be fixed? Wished Toyota should have given Wheel Arch cladding as a standard or at least from VX variant onwards.

Toyota Innova Hycross, now unveiled-hycross_vx_zx.jpg

Note: On darker shade colors, the missing wheel arch cladding is not that pronounced.

Last edited by jthomas : 28th November 2022 at 17:55. Reason: Typo correction
jthomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 18:41   #694
BHPian

Booked the Blackish Ageha colour in ZX(O). I can already sense a long waitlist from the SA's comments.

On the other hand, I'm wondering whether to downgrade to a ZX. Toyota's ADAS system is untested for now and the need for it seems unnecessary due to it mostly being a chauffeur driven car.
Old 28th November 2022, 20:52   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arakhanna View Post
As per the new taxation structure, GST rates are changed by the GST Council. The Budget by Finance Minister does not make any alteration in GST Rates. Hence the wait may be misplaced.

That being said, GST council could meet to change these rates. I hope that the GST Council is lobbied by Toyota and Suzuki to reduce the rates of hybrids to 28% vs the higher rates currently. EV's will eat the cake with 5% GST vs 43% for these hybrids as technology matures.
You are right that the budget will have no impact on the prices but even a GST council meeting will not move the needle because the council doesn't unilaterally make any decisions. The council has to first set up a committee to study the matter. If the committee feels that Hybrids should be charged a lower GST, it will recommend so and in the next meeting, the GST council will decide on it.

As of now, there is no proposal for even a committee to sit on this topic. So I don't expect any changes for at least 1 year. By then, I expect EV sales to be much higher making it less likely for the GST council to support a lowering of taxes on Hybrids.
shyampsunder is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 20:54   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher View Post
Perspective from existing Crysta 2.8z owner.

2. Fuel efficiency (Hybrid). Does not really matter. Diesel is cheaper compared to petrol..
Thank you very much for the perspective Smasher. I was actually hoping to get this from someone who owns an existing Crysta..Libran, you etc

Considering a running of 10K per year,
The Diesel Crysta's fuel economy figure is about 13kmpl (Owners may correct).
Then, the Car would need about 770 liters of Diesel to cover that. Priced at 95/Liter of Diesel (Chennai) the cost is about 73K. If the running is more this would increase further.

The Hycross's avg is about 21.1 per the advert but lets consider for the sake of our discussion its about 16kmpl. Hoping its about 19 in real life but taking a lower figure just to err on the side of caution.
Then, the car would need about 625 liters of petrol. Priced at 102/Liter of Petrol (Chennai), the cost is about 64K. Again, if the running is more this price would increase.

The difference is really about 9K for 10K kilometers. Say, 10K for 10K kilometers.
However, if the real world fuel efficiency is higher than 16kmpl (which I doubt) this difference of 10K maybe possibly increase to 20k INR keeping other factors constant.

Whether INR 10K (or INR 20K being over optimistic with fuel efficiency figures) is a considerable pinch to the wallet or not is something each individual owner may need to decide based on their finances. Some may not even bother upgrading considering the Crysta has proven its mettle, rugged, bulletproof etc.

The question then becomes, when is an existing owner ever going to break even for buying the new Hycross. I dont think it would be possible in even 20 years considering all the current economies.
TorqMaster is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 21:16   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainboy1213 View Post
I have just recieved a payement recieved reciept with no details on car or model number (This is with Em Pee Motors, Chandigarh) - Is this the norm for all dealers?
My dealer has also given just a receipt.
reppy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 21:31   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Thank you very much for the perspective Smasher. I was actually hoping to get this from someone who owns an existing Crysta..Libran, you etc

Considering a running of 10K per year,
The Diesel Crysta's fuel economy figure is about 13kmpl (Owners may correct).
Then, the Car would need about 770 liters of Diesel to cover that. Priced at 95/Liter of Diesel (Chennai) the cost is about 73K. If the running is more this would increase further.

The Hycross's avg is about 21.1 per the advert but lets consider for the sake of our discussion its about 16kmpl. Hoping its about 19 in real life but taking a lower figure just to err on the side of caution.
Then, the car would need about 625 liters of petrol. Priced at 102/Liter of Petrol (Chennai), the cost is about 64K. Again, if the running is more this price would increase.

The difference is really about 9K for 10K kilometers. Say, 10K for 10K kilometers.
However, if the real world fuel efficiency is higher than 16kmpl (which I doubt) this difference of 10K maybe possibly increase to 20k INR keeping other factors constant.

Whether INR 10K (or INR 20K being over optimistic with fuel efficiency figures) is a considerable pinch to the wallet or not is something each individual owner may need to decide based on their finances. Some may not even bother upgrading considering the Crysta has proven its mettle, rugged, bulletproof etc.

The question then becomes, when is an existing owner ever going to break even for buying the new Hycross. I dont think it would be possible in even 20 years considering all the current economies.
While Diesel is today 95/litre and petrol is 102/litre in Chennai, I am worried about Government's role of either outright banning Diesel (Delhi example) or imposing punitive taxes on Diesel in future, where Diesel can get expensive faster than Petrol. In both cases, Resale value of car drops. Interestingly I do see Diesel at 126/litre and Petrol at 114/litre in Shell Bangalore (Shell, so this results in a much larger savings for the Hybrid.
mk600 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 22:18   #699
BHPian

My biggest concern about these kind of launches are the initial booking amount.
Even for the minimum sake, lets say there are about 5000 bookings done for this Hycross, the total amount is 5000*50000 = INR 25,00,00,000. Just imagine the interest income that these OEM's are making without even selling/announcing the price of the product. Correct me if I am wrong.

Isn't this not absolutely cheating and looting people of their money, giving them a perception to feel proud and happy about their bookings and being the first owners? In this case, management at Toyota will be celebrating with no limit bonus for their top/senior employees just with the interest rates for these 4-5 months until they start their deliveries.

These kind of launches (product first, price reveal later and delivery much later) are becoming the norm only after Covid. So is this a way of making money to compensate those Covid lost/missed profits? Do these kind of product launches happen in other countries as well? Are we consumers so much ignorant about these tactics from OEMs?
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 22:27   #700
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
My biggest concern about these kind of launches are the initial booking amount.
Even for the minimum sake, lets say there are about 5000 bookings done for this Hycross, the total amount is 5000*50000 = INR 25,00,00,000. Just imagine the interest income that these OEM's are making without even selling/announcing the price of the product. Correct me if I am wrong.

Do these kind of product launches happen in other countries as well? Are we consumers so much ignorant about these tactics from OEMs?
You have stated facts, but hold up, there is more to it-

They get a better understanding as to which variant and color has the most demand and thus sets up the production line accordingly.

And this 'Pre-book' drama was started from other countries, with my first memory of it being the Tesla Model Y
KI07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 22:35   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI07 View Post
You have stated facts, but hold up, there is more to it-

They get a better understanding as to which variant and color has the most demand and thus sets up the production line accordingly.

And this 'Pre-book' drama was started from other countries, with my first memory of it being the Tesla Model Y
Do it without money. How can it be justified to make money (that too quite a good amount) just to understand the market for your own business? Why doesn’t it happen for entry level cars or luxury cars ?

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 28th November 2022 at 22:37.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 22:54   #702
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

In case its not present on the thread, I have a detailed 'Variant walk'
Attached Files
File Type: pdf INNOVA HyCross Variant Walk[1].pdf (4.51 MB, 349 views)
KI07 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 00:31   #703

I had been thinking of putting my money on a car for the entire 2022.
Finally booked the Hycross ZX.
Just hoping the on road price in Delhi is below 32lakhs.
There is not a single feature that is trending in today’s mpv/suv’s that is not available in this car in the 20-35 lakh range.
FastTracker is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 10:38   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
The question then becomes, when is an existing owner ever going to break even for buying the new Hycross. I don't think it would be possible in even 20 years considering all the current economies.
If I am out in the market today as a buyer and given options to buy Hycross & Crysta, I might end up buying Hycross-but not for saving money on fuel. As you explained, break-even may not happen in the next 20 years or more (considering 5-8 lakhs premium over versions.

I might choose Hycross for the following reasons.

1. World is discarding diesel and taking the petrol/electric route. Not sure, what government decides 5 years from now (I keep my cars for 10 years)

2. Added features. From my experience and comparison, I rate Crysta as a premium vehicle-Ride is more pleasant and comfortable than most entry-level germans. Whatever was missing is added in Hycross now (360 camera, car play, premium sound, sun blind, sunroof, ottoman seats, powered tail etc.

3. Better ground clearance. When fully loaded, need to be careful over big humps in existing Crysta.

Reasons to choose Crysta over Hycross.

1. Torque, torque, torque. 360 NM at around 1200 RPM in Crysta Vs 204 NM at 4500 RPM in Hycross. No comparison there, especially when the vehicle is a 7/8 seater.

2. Rear wheel drive in Crysta Vs Front wheel in Hycross. Matters a lot when you do mild offroading/uphill climbs on gravel roads.

3. Relaxed cruising. Crysta is at its best between 80-140 speeds. 100 kmph at 1600 RPM in 6the gear-vehicle is absolutely silent except for a bit of wind and tire noise. No vibrations and you feel absolutely fresh even after a 500 km ride at this speed.

Disclaimer-All these are assumptions, everything my chance once we experience Hycross in flesh
smasher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 12:08   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas View Post
5. Wheel Arch Cladding.

For point 5- Wheel Arch cladding, shouldn't there be holes drilled on the wheel arch sheet metal for the cladding to be fixed?
I guess the cladding would be stick-on type, similar to what came as an accessory in Ford Ecosport. So no need of holes on the wheel arches.
Knightrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks