Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2022, 14:05   #736
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross, now unveiled

Its an all rounder , only things to be known are the NVH, insulations and the pricing. Eagerly waiting for the reviews. Meanwhile the thread hits 1M views already, quite hot!

Im not hoping for any kind of sensible pricing, they might launch it at 20-32L ex.showroom. Honda can try their luck with 7seater hybrid CRV now.
TorqueIndia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 15:05   #737
BHPian

The car looks fabulous. If only they had revealed the prices as well
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 16:07   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinsWagen View Post
Why not? If a petrol hybrid can give good mileage, they could go with it easily. Even a pure pertol / mild Hybrid Ertiga could do reasonably well for the yellow boards.
It is not just about the mileage. It's also about the maintenance cost, and the maintenance itself. Fewer parts are less complicated. And since this is a Hybrid, it is not just more parts, but more electronic parts that are alien to the yellow board users (even to private users I believe). Again the cost and the longevity of the battery are also high-risk areas for yellow board users.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 16:12   #739
Senior - BHPian

More pictures of the Hycross from media drive.

Toyota Innova Hycross, now unveiled-20221130_161116.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross, now unveiled-20221130_161118.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross, now unveiled-20221130_161121.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 30th November 2022 at 16:13.
Venkatesh is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 16:37   #740
BHPian

I don't know whether it has been addressed before, but what happens when 8 years warranty for the battery pack expires?

What would be the cost involved both in Hybrids & EV's?

This is more important in the case of Innova Hycross as this brand is termed as indestructible or say "it will outlive the user". Hope Toyota addresses this part too and gives us the cost involved down the line.
Vasuki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 17:13   #741

Will the low Torque on HyCross not be a problem in mountain driving with 4 passengers and full luggage?
Old 30th November 2022, 18:23   #742
Senior - BHPian

Hormazd Sorabjee on passing away of TKM vice-chairman Vikram Kirloskar.

Quote:
We had planned to drive together on Hycross media drive today.

Thought of Vikram non-stop on the drive today and could picture him smiling at what is another winner from Toyota.

Toyota Innova Hycross, now unveiled-smartselect_20221130181839_instagram.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross, now unveiled-smartselect_20221130181706_instagram.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross, now unveiled-smartselect_20221130181723_instagram.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross, now unveiled-smartselect_20221130181657_instagram.jpg

Toyota Innova Hycross, now unveiled-smartselect_20221130181714_instagram.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 30th November 2022 at 18:24.
Venkatesh is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 18:51   #743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Hormazd Sorabjee on passing away of TKM vice-chairman Vikram Kirloskar.
The last sentence sums it up pretty nicely, Toyota definitely has a winner on it’s hands in the form of the HyCross.

If this product is fundamentally strong; like the first gen Innova was in 2005. Toyota can get away with a slightly premium price-tag.

Quote:
Could picture him smiling at what is another winner from Toyota.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 18:51   #744
BHPian

Quick question to the experts, hybrid vehicles have been around for sometime, so its a proven tech. But since battery life is rated based on the charge cycle and a traditional EV has lower iterations of full charge cycle than hybrids.
In this scenario since the Battery is very small, and looks like this hybrid intelligently uses the electric motor, here the battery gets charged from both engine generated power and Regen, will that not affect the battery life, because of frequentcharge and discharge cycle, which might push it to failure or need replacement in earlier than 8 years or so. I might be wrong, so just trying to understand how wear of battery would be over time, considering its lower capacity, because over time EV lose range to 70 to 80% after 5-7 years or so should the mileage of Hycross drop too with time because battery gets degradation.
Old 30th November 2022, 18:52   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
It is not just about the mileage. It's also about the maintenance cost, and the maintenance itself. Fewer parts are less complicated. And since this is a Hybrid, it is not just more parts, but more electronic parts that are alien to the yellow board users (even to private users I believe). Again the cost and the longevity of the battery are also high-risk areas for yellow board users.
As someone who has worked in the diesel engine exhaust after-treatment system software development, I would say the SCR system (including the sensors, tank, heating units, valves, pumps and ECU) is more complicated and unreliable in the long run compared to the tried and tested (for decades) hybrid units from Toyota. Just check the reliability issues of the SCR systems in the high mileage diesel cars in European forums. Also there is DPF clogging issue in the diesel cars running only inside the city limits (e.g. hotel-airport pickup/drop Innova cabs).
gopi_rm is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 18:56   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
As someone who has worked in the diesel engine exhaust after-treatment system software development, I would say the SCR system (including the sensors, tank, heating units, valves, pumps and ECU) is more complicated and unreliable in the long run compared to the tried and tested (for decades) hybrid units from Toyota. Just check the reliability issues of the SCR systems in the high mileage diesel cars in European forums. Also there is DPF clogging issue in the diesel cars running only inside the city limits (e.g. hotel-airport pickup/drop Innova cabs).
Thanks for the reply. Wouldn't burning off the DPF soot contribute to more pollution from time to time. Not sure if this is considered in the RDE emission rules.
Old 30th November 2022, 19:02   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
I have sat in a 300,000+ mile (not km) Camry Hybrid cab abroad. The cab driver said he has had no reliability/battery issue till date. Toyota have mastered the hybrid like no other company on this planet.
JediKnight is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 19:49   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeupsid View Post
Quick question to the experts, hybrid vehicles have been around for sometime, so its a proven tech. But since battery life is rated based on the charge cycle and a traditional EV has lower iterations of full charge cycle than hybrids.
I have read that the hybrid controller neither charges the battery above 80% nor discharges it below 20% to maximize the battery lifetime.

Link: How Long Do Toyota Hybrid Batteries Last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Thanks for the reply. Wouldn't burning off the DPF soot contribute to more pollution from time to time. Not sure if this is considered in the RDE emission rules.
DPF regen converts the solid carbon soot particles into CO or CO2 so there would be no increase in soot pollution due to the regen.
Old 30th November 2022, 20:23   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
I have sat in a 300,000+ mile (not km) Camry Hybrid cab abroad. The cab driver said he has had no reliability/battery issue till date. Toyota have mastered the hybrid like no other company on this planet.
I know its not a competition, but i think i can trump that 300000 mile number.

My recent trip to Singapore, I had a Toyota Hybrid cabbie with a 500000 mile on the ODO and when asked about reliability , he simply grinned and pointed at the Toyota badge. I dare say there was not a hint of creak of squeak in that cab.

Regards
Diesel.
Dieseltuned is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 21:34   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Please understand that the global market is totally different from the Indian market. I agree that hybrids are successful in many other markets. That doesn't mean that it is a given that it will be successful in any market, especially in a market like India. Moreover this hybrid technology for mass market in India is totally an unknown territory not just for yellow board users, but for white board users as well. It is not a easy decision for fleet owners and yellow board users to choose a hybrid over a diesel/petrol. we have to wait until we have the data to prove. So let us wait and watch.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks