Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is India Dumping Place For Under Rated Cars? - R We Getting Riped Off With Crappy Cars
YES 81 60.90%
NO 52 39.10%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2004, 23:18   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I think this price increase is due to a drastic technology and style change which brings about such an increase, geenrally when newer models comes out a lot of new and expesnive technologies go into BMWs, Mercs and the other top end brands,where as I really dont c any major technological advancements in cars being sold by the regular brands...this is the reason for the price increase and we get affected more because a mere 10% increase for them means a 20+% increase for us..and the general trend has been about 10% increase for every newer model or a 2-5% increase for redesigned models.. so there you go, since 97 I think we have gone through 2 major changes and 1 minor which means from 22->28->30->36 keeping up with the percentage equation..
If we go by that, the Accord should have been the price of the S Class by now, keeping in mind that its been around since three decades, C4S. A price increase from 22 lacs to 36 lacs is a 64% hike, and thats an absolute rip-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]E class (W210) was 22 in 97? I just went thru some old files it comes to abt 27! or are u guys talkin abt the 124?
27 lacs may be the on-road figure. If thats the case, then the on-road figures of the current E Class models is 40 lacs+. I had quoted the ex-showroom prices before.

GTO
Old 10th May 2004, 23:22   #47
Senior - BHPian

GTO,
No i mean the ex-showroom cost for a E230 with LEather, A/T tranny, Roller sunblind, CD-Changer and metallic paint work
Old 10th May 2004, 23:34   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ May 10 2004,09:48)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I think this price increase is due to a drastic technology and style change which brings about such an increase, geenrally when newer models comes out a lot of new and expesnive technologies go into BMWs, Mercs and the other top end brands,where as I really dont c any major technological advancements in cars being sold by the regular brands...this is the reason for the price increase and we get affected more because a mere 10% increase for them means a 20+% increase for us..and the general trend has been about 10% increase for every newer model or a 2-5% increase for redesigned models.. so there you go, since 97 I think we have gone through 2 major changes and 1 minor which means from 22->28->30->36 keeping up with the percentage equation..
If we go by that, the Accord should have been the price of the S Class by now, keeping in mind that its been around since three decades, C4S. A price increase from 22 lacs to 36 lacs is a 64% hike, and thats an absolute rip-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]E class (W210) was 22 in 97? I just went thru some old files it comes to abt 27! or are u guys talkin abt the 124?
27 lacs may be the on-road figure. If thats the case, then the on-road figures of the current E Class models is 40 lacs+. I had quoted the ex-showroom prices before.

GTO
I agree with you its a drastic change, I had clearly but it in my statement that all these high profile expesnive luxury brands have major technological advancements and hence the price increase...

Accord is by no means a luxury car(only in india) and japanese have a to maintain the price for the masses to buy..its just that mercedes and all know ppl paying so much for their cars wouldnt mind a 10% increase over few years..considering inflation etc and advancements..

i know its a 64% increase but lets do the math...

10% increase internationally means close to 22% increae for us..

if merc was 100 in 97, a major model change caused 22% increase to 122 then a minor redesign caused a 11% increase = 136 and then another major model change with 22% = 165 which is round about what you tell me(a 65% increase), duties are the culprit and even hondas have gone with a price increase since 97 I belive..of about 10-15% in US(I am not positive, but I think) which means if we have the accord in 97 it would have been 25-30% cheaper than what it is right now..(also I think since 97 accord only had 1 gen change)

I am not arguing that its right, but there ia justification for it..

the new M5 will have a ton of new technological advancements and hence will cost more than 12% more than the earlier model..if you were to import the 2 at the same time the price difference would be close to 25-27% between the 2 gen..so there you go..

Hope I clarified myself..

Cheers..
Old 11th May 2004, 01:10   #49
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

i dont think the hike of 16 lakhs in 7 years is not at all justified. Come on. In another 7 years now and Mercedes is gonna price it at 52 lakhs. Agreed that they have been gettin their latest models with the laetst technologies , but arent they priced MUCH MUCH more than what they shud be priced.

Before the launch of the E Class [W124], MBIL [or TATA] said that they will price the E Class at around 12-14 lakhs. And when it was finally launched , it costed 22 Lakhs.
Old 11th May 2004, 01:16   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (v12 @ May 10 2004,11:40)]i dont think the hike of 16 lakhs in 7 years is not at all justified. Come on. In another 7 years now and Mercedes is gonna price it at 52 lakhs. Agreed that they have been gettin their latest models with the laetst technologies , but arent they priced MUCH MUCH more than what they shud be priced.

Before the launch of the E Class [W124], MBIL [or TATA] said that they will price the E Class at around 12-14 lakhs. And when it was finally launched , it costed 22 Lakhs.
I dont know but whats the inflation india??
around 5% I read last...but I could be wrong..

see there itself what you paid 100rs for in 1997 should be around 130-140Rs which is pretty hefty price increase too..I dont know how it affects the prices for cars, but I am pretty sure atleas 10-15% increase that occured over 7 years was due to that...and a lot of other factors...exchange rate as well..

Anyhow your statement got me confused, are you saying it is justified or is it not??

Cheers..

Old 11th May 2004, 01:19   #51
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Anyhow your statement got me confused, are you saying it is justified or is it not??
Not at all justified.
Old 11th May 2004, 02:49   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (v12 @ May 10 2004,11:49)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Anyhow your statement got me confused, are you saying it is justified or is it not??
Not at all justified.
I think a good price would have been 30-31... 36 agreed is more, but you can not compare the price of a prehistoric vehicle to the new age E

L8r

Old 16th March 2007, 22:12   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

This should be an interesting poll right now!
Old 16th September 2010, 18:08   #54
Senior - BHPian

Is India a place to ditch the out dated models?

Is India a place to ditch the outdated models/dyes? Is there a trend among the automobile gaints to ship the dyes of the stopped models to India then re use it? First the model will be announced as CBU then they catch the Market , then they will assemble the vehicle with imported components, after using all the manufactured inventories so called components , after all they will give us the new internationally launched model , is the same happening? As the biggest automotive forum in India let's do an analysis about the hidden automotive loot. Bhpians please throw in some light here, put in some examples to analyse. Mods please place this thread to an appropriate place, please merge this thread if similar exists.
Old 16th September 2010, 18:26   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

What makes you think such a thing is happening? Could you give some examples?
Old 16th September 2010, 18:48   #56
Senior - BHPian

MSIL planning to launch cervo at the same time Cervo is discontinued in Japan How many generations of accords are here in India? When the very first accord was launched was that the newest internationally available model? Just curious to know. Qualis was such a successful model in India, why it was stopped ?
Old 16th September 2010, 18:55   #57
Senior - BHPian

Speaking of the Qualis, there was a huge hue and cry over business ethics when the model was discontinued worldwide and launched fresh in India. Especially when it was so successful. So in a way, yes, sometimes companies will do that. Can't blame companies if people are willing to buy.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 16th September 2010 at 19:13.
Old 16th September 2010, 19:07   #58
Senior - BHPian

When the very first city,crv,sonata,camry,Tucson,terracan,Getz,fabia,p ajero,lancer,voyager,Sienna,Palio,corsa,sail,escor t,srv etc
Old 16th September 2010, 19:11   #59
girishbhat

True.. It is purely business. 'Find the need and fill it'.
The Bajajs rule the 2 wheeler market with their huge shabby scooters for decades without much technical enhancements. Off-course they are very successful in numbers. Similarly the Ambassador cars. When the customers don't have much options, they will choose best among the rest. But when the market is full of competitive products they will slowly fade-out.
I think, ethically there is nothing wrong in selling/buying the outdated product if it is good and serve the purpose.

Old 16th September 2010, 19:13   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
When the very first city,crv,sonata,camry,Tucson,terracan,Getz,fabia,p ajero,lancer,voyager,Sienna,Palio,corsa,sail,escor t,srv etc
Sorry, I did not get your point in this post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks