Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Is India Dumping Place For Under Rated Cars? - R We Getting Riped Off With Crappy Cars
YES 81 60.90%
NO 52 39.10%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2012, 08:03   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Is India a dumping ground for outdated / poorly rated cars?

In the present scenario, I don’t think India is a dumping ground for outdated cars. Yes, it’s still a market for some outdated cars; manufacturers sell those because there is a demand. That scenario will only change when buyers reject those specific cars (which are unlikely to happen due to the VFM thoughts). Immediate example I can think of is the Etios/Liva range from Toyota which clearly looks like something derived from an old template.
Old 27th January 2012, 08:23   #92
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Re: Is India a dumping ground for outdated / poorly rated cars?

Remember when Maruti gave us the 1000 and we all thought that was the greatest thing to ever happen to us?
And the early 970 cc Gypsy, which was quite underpowered compared to its later 1.3 litre big brother the "King".
In the days I used to have that 970cc Gypsy, I remember discussing with some friends how it badly needed a 5th gear. Luckily the King came in with that, though I ve never owned a King.
We Indians of the "protected economy" era have been so starved for good things that practically anything that came to us seemed great, after the decades of Ambys and Fiats and Mahindra CJ series Jeeps.
Now I am really glad to believe that any car manufacturer who dares to take the Indian consumer for granted, will simply get onto a rapid downward spiral or tailspin, armed with a one way ticket!
Such manufacturers shall, to sound a little biblical, be banished into the outer darkness, whence they never shall return!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It was, but certainly isn't anymore.

However, having said that, many manufacturers tend to flog particular cars for a period beyond the expiry-date on them. Skoda for example sold the Octavia for a long time, even though it was discontinued in other markets. Cars like the Accent and Ikon have been around for ages, and they are being flogged even though they've gone bad now, and completely stale.

Maruti started this trend by selling several generations of the same car. (800, Alto, Zen)

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th January 2012 at 08:24.

Most Viewed