Team-BHP - Is India a dumping ground for outdated / poorly rated cars?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Is India a dumping ground for outdated / poorly rated cars? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2500-india-dumping-ground-outdated-poorly-rated-cars.html)

I think yes guys .. we get such under rated service and poor technology . stil we have cars like m800, siena's and scorpios ruling the roster. and we pay a forune for these vehicles. the goodd ones r always the out of reach for the majority.

just look at china guys the country we r always compared with. they get so much more and we all the left overs !

Well certainly some companies are treating India like a dumping ground, but on the other hand there are other companies which are bringing in the latest and best and those are the companies that are succeeding!

Null vote.

Cya
R

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]stil we have cars like m800

The M800 is not sold at a high price. Is considered to be the cheapest car in the world. Thats the car that has put India on wheels. Its true that some of them have given [and still giving] us outdated products [HM, Qualis, etc]But there is Mercedes, Honda etc which are giving us the latest products with the latest techs.

And lets not talk abt China. They are just copying designs.

I feel we have been a dumping ground for outdated cars but at the same time we are getting the latest technology as well. We have got hand me down products like the Qualis and the out dated Lancer. I guess the current Lancer in the international market is way ahead of what we have. They should have launched the Invex atleast with the new body shape. Maruti is selling 3 models which have replaced each other these being the 800, Zen and Alto. The Uno was ancient though it was one of the best cars in its time. The current shape Esteem is what I saw as the Swift in 1990 . The Peugeot 309 same as well the Rover Montego . That was sold at 12 lakhs .

But at the same time we Mercedes Benz getting the latest and the Best to India, Honda is also up with the times launching their latest models out here and yes no matter how much I hate the marque Hyundai is also doing the same. Skoda is also getting us good cars. Ford needs to change the Ikon now and maybe get something more newer.

So overall I'm neutral to this thought

Absolute HOGWASH, India is no longer a dumping ground for outdated cars or technology, and those who think so must look outside their windows and realise we are in the post-liberalisation period.

On the products front look at almost each and every manufacturer excepting for Maruti which is only playing the price card. And yes, V12 is correct in that the Maruti 800 is the cheapest car in the world...or even that no manufacturer in the world (GM, Ford and Toyota included) can make the 800 at the price that Maruti is selling it at.

Skoda has been selling models that are concurrently sold around the world (including Europe)...Ditto for Hyundai..ditto for Mercedes Benz...Chalk up for Honda and Toyota too (except for the Qualis). Gm's Optra and Vectra are also the latest gen models. When the Ford Ikon and Mondeo were launched, they wernt exactly out-dated models either.

Now you cant bring the Lancer or the Zen into the picture, as its not a question of dumping products in this case. When they were launched in India (Zen - Early 90's, Lancer - 98ish), they were as contemporary as can get and the exact same models that were being sold around the world. Its just that product life-cycles in India extend to a much longer period because of the relatively small size of the market. There are definitely some out-dated models, but you cant generalise the entire market trend on those cars.

If you ask me, I am immensely proud of the Mahindra Scorpio and the Tata Indica, as these are companies that are learning about and teaching fellow Indians how to actually design monocoques, suspension geometries, engine intricacies and so on. These are truly Indian cars, and subsequently truly Indian corporations. Our country is not going to learn too much about automotive engineering and technologies by importing SKD/CKD Accords, Corollas, C-Class's etc. etc.

And if you think that service sucks in India, let me tell you of a research that was carried out by a reputable research organization in the United States in 2002. The average american most fears falling from heights....Fear no.2? The new car buying experience!!

If anything, its India who is dumping the Tata Indica on the streets of UK!!!

Go India!!

GTO

According to me all thanks should go to Mercedes Benz for the change in India for newer cars coming to India and not those shit-holes. Due to DC India, companys like BMW, Audi, Porsche are willing to venture into India. I don't really see India now as a dump-hole for low-grade cars. maybe if you asked me the same question around 5 years ago i could have agreed. Now cars like the recent 7-Series, A8, Porsche Cayenne, Boxster, 911's, Mondeo, New Accord. But i can say that Indian car manufacturers themselves are making it a dump-hole making cars such as the god-awful Indica, etc.

P.S. - DC India stands for Daimler Chrysler and NOT Dilip Chabbria

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ April 17 2004,18:09)]Absolute HOGWASH, India is no longer a dumping ground for outdated cars or technology, and those who think so must look outside their windows and realise we are in the post-liberalisation period.

On the products front look at almost each and every manufacturer excepting for Maruti which is only playing the price card. And yes, V12 is correct in that the Maruti 800 is the cheapest car in the world...or even that no manufacturer in the world (GM, Ford and Toyota included) can make the 800 at the price that Maruti is selling it at.

Skoda has been selling models that are concurrently sold around the world (including Europe)...Ditto for Hyundai..ditto for Mercedes Benz...Chalk up for Honda and Toyota too (except for the Qualis). Gm's Optra and Vectra are also the latest gen models. When the Ford Ikon and Mondeo were launched, they wernt exactly out-dated models either.

Now you cant bring the Lancer or the Zen into the picture, as its not a question of dumping products in this case. When they were launched in India (Zen - Early 90's, Lancer - 98ish), they were as contemporary as can get and the exact same models that were being sold around the world. Its just that product life-cycles in India extend to a much longer period because of the relatively small size of the market. There are definitely some out-dated models, but you cant generalise the entire market trend on those cars.

If you ask me, I am immensely proud of the Mahindra Scorpio and the Tata Indica, as these are companies that are learning about and teaching fellow Indians how to actually design monocoques, suspension geometries, engine intricacies and so on. These are truly Indian cars, and subsequently truly Indian corporations. Our country is not going to learn too much about automotive engineering and technologies by importing SKD/CKD Accords, Corollas, C-Class's etc. etc.

And if you think that service sucks in India, let me tell you of a research that was carried out by a reputable research organization in the United States in 2002. *The average american most fears falling from heights....Fear no.2? The new car buying experience!!

If anything, its India who is dumping the Tata Indica on the streets of UK!!!

Go India!!

GTO

hey man i meant the foreign companie that r treating india like a 3 world piece of crap. i kno w everyhitng has changed..our economy is looking good and we have more models and world reales simultaneously. but still companies like hyundai r still behind when it comes to bring in the latest tech..( apart frm the crdi)
i think the we can do better....that should be the motto of foreign companies....
cause irrepective whetehr a model comes to india or not and indian wiht money can buy it now...but is it what we want...
when the price we pay for a merc lass ..at international marketd we can easily buy a e class with that same amount.! now is that fair...?
freedom means to choose from a variety and all iam saying is that we dont havethat variety....for foreign cars!
why would maruhtis and mahindras dump ...their cars here...after all they r made is ...made proudly in india !

well ,,

i think people who r buying the c and d segment cars , are getting more of the latest technology and models.

people in india who buy the smaller segment cars , hardly know anything abt technology and safety. they buy cars for status , fuel efficiency and getting from place a to b. so companies like mul make a killing here by selling outdated products like the 800,zen and esteem. hyundai and fiat are trying hard to change this.....but only hyundai is suceeding , u all know the reasons y.

the lancer was outdated , it sold earlier but as people got smarter it started dying a slow death and is almost dead now.

honda , skoda , dc , all give the top end buyers great technology.

so as long as there are ignorant people , cars with burnt out technology will sell in india.

cheers

Hyundai isnt sellin any outdated cars in India. Theyre sellin the same cars that they are sellin internationally and also in their home market.
The only segment that is gettin outdated products is the MUV segment. The Qualis, Tavera etc. Actually the Tavera is an outdated product. Its an old design. One gen ahead of the Qualis. But then manufacturers have to do this to reduce costs. But they make up for the outdated designs with good quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ April 17 2004,18:09)]The average american most fears falling from heights....Fear no.2? The new car buying experience!!

Hey,

I believe that "public speaking" is America's #1 phobia, but its still very interesting to know that the new car buying experience is right up there!!

today at the autoshow i realised that the same way all indians ask "iska average kitna?" the americans always ask "how much for this??" no matter how incredibly unlikely they are to ever own the cars in question!

cya
R

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]when the price we pay for a merc lass ..at international marketd we can easily buy a e class with that same amount.! now is that fair...?
freedom means to choose from a variety and all iam saying is that we dont havethat variety....for foreign cars!

This is mainly because of the government and the astronomical import duty of 103% that they have imposed. I think its reduced now but not by much.

grim reaper...the duties r 120% fr brand new import.. and 80% for second hand car . provide the car is not more than 2 years old and is a right hand drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]when the price we pay for a merc lass ..at international marketd we can easily buy a e class with that same amount.! now is that fair...?

Ya actually thats true. The price what the Indians pay for the E and S class are almost double of what the Germans would pay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
I believe that "public speaking" is America's #1 phobia, but its still very interesting to know that the new car buying experience is right up there!!

My bad, I stand corrected. But the new/used car buying experience is right at no.2

GTO