Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2022, 09:47   #181
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Hilux launched at Rs. 33.99 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
OEMs can't expect to sell hordes of a lifestyle pick-up truck or say, a maxi-scooter in India
Not like that; Thar is a successful example. Even Jimmy, if launched, would have been successful.

Quote:
They must have launched it as a pure branding exercise.
For that, they are getting the LC-300 . Some units that get them free publicity everywhere and headlines, a waiting period of 2-3 Years and all that. I don't know for sure if Toyota can sell those Diesel LC300 after 1st April, so another gaffe?

From my brief experience with some Japanese working in India, after a while, they too adapt our working style. Someone at the helm of decisions at Toyota India is working not like what Toyota is known for.

Be it the Innova Diesel issue or the launch of such vehicles. Imagine the problems for the supply chain, dealers and vendors; they have to build the part inventories for Hilux or LC 300 for what- a couple of hundred units. And the owners, say after a couple of years, waiting for parts to arrive from Thailand or Japan?
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 11:45   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Not like that; Thar is a successful example. Even Jimmy, if launched, would have been successful.
A Thar is compact and doesn't sport an open loading bay. And of course, comes at half the cost of a Hilux or V-Cross. I guess those would be deal breakers for most who have an appetite to own a lifestyle vehicle as a hobby.

OT: I believe Thar was an experiment which paid off well. It's success story was similar to Royal Enfield's Classic series. And that was possible as Thar was available at an affordable price of a hatchback. If Mahindra had developed a Wrangler-like car at 25L, it could have failed to take off.

Last edited by ashis89 : 11th September 2022 at 11:50.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 08:03   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkiran_2000 View Post
UPDATE: Finished the Line-X coating last week....

Since the toyota bed-lining sucketh, Took the car over to Mangalore to get a longer drive experience and got the Line-X done for the bed. Very happy with the results. This was with KAM customs there. The lining is tough and doesn't mind my dragging my MS tent rack angles and the tent around on the it.
Were you on bangalore-hassan highway yesterday?
Old 12th September 2022, 16:52   #184
BHPian

I am of the opinion that the Hilux is one of the best vehicles on the road today in the SUV segment. It's powerful, fairly comfortable, has most modern safety aids and is very practical.

The issue I suppose is people buying this as a style statement rather than a do it all vehicle. I have no complaints - need to remove the bedliner and get a coating done - but apart from that it's a perfect vehicle for me. Will never sell it.

Cheers
Old 12th September 2022, 17:44   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMonk View Post
I am of the opinion that the Hilux is one of the best vehicles on the road today in the SUV segment. It's powerful, fairly comfortable, has most modern safety aids and is very practical.
It will be interesting to hear more about why you say "SUV segment". Don't you think Fortuner offers everything that Hilux has and much more, except for that trunk, which may not be of use to 99%of people in India?
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 18:33   #186
BHPian

That's true. 99% of people will not need the Hilux's capabilities.

This is my opinion based on my personal requirements. I live in a farm at Ranikhet - actually half an hour away. For me, trips to purchase weekly ration for the family and staff including LPG cylinders from the market, carting 200 liter diesel barrels for my generator, traveling with my big bikes, or going camping or fishing with my family are only possible in such a vehicle. Me and my army friends go for Golf to Pithoragarh - 2 days luggage and 4 full golf sets and 4 trollies. I don't think that the Fortuner is capable of any of the above.

As mentioned - this is a purely personal viewpoint

Regards
TheMonk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 19:55   #187
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
That's true. 99% of people will not need the Hilux's capabilities.

, carting 200 liter diesel barrels for my generator, traveling with my big bikes, or going camping or fishing with my family are only possible in such a vehicle. Me and my army friends go for Golf to Pithoragarh - 2 days luggage and 4 full golf sets and 4 trollies. I don't think that the Fortuner is capable of any of the above.

As mentioned - this is a purely personal viewpoint

Regards
Ah. You seem to be the perfect customer for a Hilux or V Cross or indeed, if I may, the Dodge RAM Dually as seen in the popular Amazon Prime Serial Yellowstone.

The rest of us mortals can only wishfully dream of this lifestyle which you have described.

I can relate perfectly with the utility aspects you have described. But it is only in India with our offen skewed priorities, that an utility vehicle of this kind morphs into a lifestyle vehicle which only the celebrity city slickers can afford to buy.

Slightly Off Topic, yet On Topic, here are a few pictures that I took, a few days ago, of another dream vehicle which Im sure will appeal to you!
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Hilux launched at Rs. 33.99 lakh-9838184c569d4474afa2e4c6eee39ebe.jpeg  

Toyota Hilux launched at Rs. 33.99 lakh-808cdcd0675a4002b612da630df06814.jpeg  

Toyota Hilux launched at Rs. 33.99 lakh-665804fd63664490b15e17b5b0158cd6.jpeg  

Toyota Hilux launched at Rs. 33.99 lakh-0e73a5ebe4864f768a3b6ab240ab16ec.jpeg  

Toyota Hilux launched at Rs. 33.99 lakh-898395e0935b41858c2c65cded5ef3bf.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 20:29   #188
BHPian

Thanks Shankar,

A big heads up to you. To be honest the lifestyle has come about with a lot of hard work! Yes - this is not an ideal city vehicle. But amazing in the countryside. It fits all my needs and I couldn't desire anything more. My wife drives a X1. It's much more refined than the Hilux but then I drive the Hilux more than the X1. The 4x4 is used on a daily basis.

Cheers!
TheMonk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 15:17   #189
BHPian

Quote:
What is the best alternative for the bedliner? Even my bedliner is peeling off. Extremely shoddy installation.
I am getting a Line X coating done, and strongly recommend it. In Delhi/NCR, I think Bimbra 4x4 does the job. It' a 4-5 hour process from start to finish, and costs 27-28k.

https://linex.com/bedliners/standard
corneliu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 16:43   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Were you on bangalore-hassan highway yesterday?
yep I was. Chickmaglur trip, but was rained out completely
vkiran_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 10:18   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkiran_2000 View Post
yep I was. Chickmaglur trip, but was rained out completely
Sir btw, a big hat tip to you for recommending KAM Customs in Mangalore. Am getting the LineX job + some other bed modifications done there.
corneliu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 21:56   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Hi everyone, so I bought what could be the first pre-owned Hilux in team-bhp (if not in the country, considering it has only been 6 months after the launch!)
Here is a review of the same from 'Talking Cars'. A very nicely rendered review is that. Malayalee team bhp'ians can rejoice .

E = mc˛ is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 10:29   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = mc˛ View Post
Here is a review of the same from 'Talking Cars'. A very nicely rendered review is that. Malayalee team bhp'ians can rejoice .

https://Youtu.be/M8vx_WzubL8
Thank you for putting this up here man. I was planning to share it here along with few ownership updates, but you beat me to it.

Last edited by carfreak : 24th September 2022 at 10:30.
carfreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 12:22   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = mc˛ View Post

https://Youtu.be/M8vx_WzubL8
These guys seriously need to start reviewing in English to reach a wider audience. I stopped watching all other cliche car reviews after getting used to them.

Last edited by lionheart_mm : 24th September 2022 at 12:25.
lionheart_mm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 12:41   #195
BHPian

had a Hilux for a test drive as my brother wants a multi use vehicle, disappointed! its feels tacky, the bed liner which according to the sales rep was OE, was not even cut straight. they cant offer any accessories from their own website, TERRIBLE brakes (Drum at the rear apparently!), very average interior, the passenger doesn't even get a power seat. he went a notch up and booked a Wrangler.
awini is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks