Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2022, 18:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Toyota Hilux launched at Rs. 33.99 lakh

Try carrying as much a an umbrella in the loading deck in Delhi and wait for coppers to pounce on you for carrying out "commercial" activity in a passenger vehicle.
Karan_n8 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 18:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

You would think by now, the Army could have brought the assembly dies/tools for the Gypsy ,manufactured it indigenously and customized its powerplant capabilities. Why should they have to spend so much more on expensive and heavy cars like Gurkha and Thar? They may be capable, but surely not as sprightly as the Gypsy.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 31st March 2022 at 18:23.
fhdowntheline is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 19:31   #18
BHPian

At 44 lakhs on road in kerala, I would buy a thar/gurkha for my 4x4 needs and skoda Octavia with the remaining amount Toyota's overpricing strategy might work on the innova and fortuner, since there is a huge demand for luxury people movers but a lifestyle pickup is an extremely niche segment. Should have been priced in the mid 30s atleast as an introductory offer for the base model. Pickups have a bumpy ride on-road, are not as capable as SUVs off-road due to their longer rear overhang and rear seats are uncomfortable to sit for extended periods since they are more upright than in an suv or mpv. So spending 44 lakhs on a vehicle that cannot do atleast any one thing well, doesn't make any sense, atleast not to my middle class Indian brain
windrider is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 20:05   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
You would think by now, the Army could have brought the assembly dies/tools for the Gypsy ,manufactured it indigenously and customized its powerplant capabilities. W
OT for this thread, Gypsy was built mostly by hand at a separate shed in the Gurgaon facility of Maruti. Most body parts were always imported from Japan as they never had dies for Gypsy (if my memory serves me right).

Regarding Hilux for the Indian army, that's never going to happen for multiple reasons, including high prices and limited manufacturing infrastructure with Toyota in India. Isuzu could have got this business, they used to have a high deck variant even in 4x4 at around 15 lac for some time.
Turbanator is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 21:15   #20
BHPian

The Hilux ad was a dead giveaway about what was about to come in terms of pricing, with a tagline “live a richer life” to match. The ad tried really hard to make sure this machine had absolutely no purpose other than a lifestyle vehicle.
gb97ce6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 00:45   #21
BHPian

Had booked the Hilux, hoping for a 35-38ish otr Delhi price anything above that was not justified In My Opinion, thankfully got a great deal on an Isuzu MUx , brought that home a few weeks back as the Hilux was nowhere in sight of launch also got BFG ko2 t/a on that to the utter dismay of the family , converted the Hilux booking to a Fortuner A/T, Attitude black with the chamois interior.

Hell, no one can justify the Tonka truck at almost a similar price point as the Fortuner to the familia!

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st April 2022 at 06:58. Reason: Spacing, corrections, please proofread. Thanks.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 06:55   #22
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note - Let's discuss only Hilux and competition here. There is a separate thread for discussions relating to Gypsy and Army requirements.

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st April 2022 at 06:58.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 08:46   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota has smartly launched the Hilux when the Innova and Fortuner are going to see a 4% price increase.

Both of them will be pushed higher in their price range somewhat justifying the price of the Hilux.

Atleast the base variant of the Hilux should’ve been priced in such a way that the OTR would not have crossed 40L. But this is Toyota and they can do anything.

I won’t be surprised if maximum bookings get canceled and dealers are left with surplus stock.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 09:08   #24
BHPian

Shocking prices. But then, which Toyota/Lexus is sanely priced? From the humble Yaris to the mighty Landcruiser, every car is overpriced. Now I understand why Toyota is reluctant to bring their global models to India.
DonHyd is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 11:24   #25
BHPian

Toyota India’s management is living in a world of its own and thereby remaining an also-ran in one of the largest automobile markets in the world. They expect customers to pay a fat premium, expect the government to change its policies to suit them but don’t want to change or learn themselves.

In Dubai, it remains a common man’s brand with a slight premium which is justified due to its quality. Camry and Corolla remain the most popular taxis here and maybe in many other countries also. But in India, they refuse to offer sensible prices for its products. I am also an Altis owner for the last 10 years and love the car for its quality but there should be a limit to the premium which customers are expected to pay. They fail to realise if they offer reasonable prices, volumes will rise and that may bring their costs down

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st April 2022 at 11:31. Reason: Minor correction.
akj53 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 11:44   #26
BHPian

As an Isuzu V-cross owner since 2016 I was looking at a replacement soon maybe (2022 or 2023). The current launch price of Hilux is not a shocker at all. It has all the features of the Fortuner and in no way was it going to be priced any lower.

Even the aging top model of the Isuzu is now 32 lacs on road in Mumbai. Hilux has a reputation which is hard to beat but I don't see myself upgrading to this over my current V-cross (68000 kms) which is going strong and as reliable as my innova if not more.

Further after doing a lot of research on the all new V-cross, I have come to realize that it is better in most of the aspects as compared to the current Hilux. Eagerly waiting for the launch of the new V-cross which again won't be less than 35 Lacs OTR Mumbai.

I can wait for a couple of years before replacing my truck.
tazmaan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 12:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hilux 4x4 AT has everything that the Fortuner 4x4 AT has except for the third-row seats. So it is only natural that it is priced slightly below Fortuner and not slightly above Crysta. With Fortuner pricing increasing again, there will be a sufficient gap to push the people who just want 4x4 ability and do not need the third row to Hilux.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 13:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Hilux 4x4 AT has everything that the Fortuner 4x4 AT has except for the third-row seats. So it is only natural that it is priced slightly below Fortuner and not slightly above Crysta. With Fortuner pricing increasing again, there will be a sufficient gap to push the people who just want 4x4 ability and do not need the third row to Hilux.
I had a quick look at the brochure, and it seems Hilux loses out on quite a few features as compared to Fortuner 4x4, such as-

1. 3rd row seats
2. 11 JBL speaker set-up (Hilux gets a 6 speaker set-up)
3. Paddles
4. Idling Start stop function
5. Connected car tech (CAROT- which we unanimously hate)
6. Ventilated seats- not sure whether it has got it
7. 2 driving modes as compared to 3 for Fortuner
8. Limited color choice

Purists may discount these features but IMO the pricing hurts even more now

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 1st April 2022 at 13:37.
achyutaghosh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 14:18   #29
BHPian

Toyota has lost it, it seems. They're overpricing their vehicles like crazy and Fortuner is hardly a 30 lakh truck that they're selling for 50 lakhs only because there are enough people to pay that kind of money to buy it. Hilux is no exception. It should not cost more than 20 lakhs. In fact even Isuzu started with a 10 lakh price tag and now it touches almost 25 lakhs on road.

This is how brands capitalize on the demand. But I would never pay that kind of money to Toyota or even Isuzu for their vehicles irrespective of whatever they say. For 32 lakhs (approx) one can get a VW Tiguan that has a better performance and can provide the comfort of a sedan while also tackling decent off road requirements, although for pure off road use only that may not work as well but I'm sure hardly any of us will ever put our vehicles through those scenarios unless we're participating in Dakar Rally (anyone? ).

This is how the downfall starts, Toyota among other brands have been increasing their prices almost every quarter. Their greed will soon let them down badly. I own a Corolla Sports myself and love the build quality of Toyota however, these kind of unfair practices are just not appreciated.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd April 2022 at 08:09. Reason: Do NOT ridicule owners of any particular car or call them names (e.g. dummies)
The Rainmaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 14:56   #30
BHPian

I am Sorry folks, but i think we are all not thinking straight when we are comparing the Hilux with the Fortuner.

The Hilux, i am sure Toyota has launched for a totally different segment of customers. The the fortuners and innovas of the world cater to a different crowd.

For Hilux, i think Toyota is aiming for around 150-200 units and they see this purly as a marketing, branding and eye grabbing product in their portfolio. And even at this bloated price point they should achieve these numbers easy.

Think about it, At present, Toyota’s product portfolio in India is very limited and dependent on basically 3 offerings. The Glanza, the Innova and the Fortuner.
nairanupg is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks