Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2022, 09:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"

Volkswagen is celebrating the end of the Polo’s production with a special edition – the Polo Legend edition. Based on GT TSI it gets a legend badge on the flanks, some decals on the side and will be limited in number.

Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"-fb_img_1649044053449.jpg

Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"-fb_img_1649044055647.jpg

Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"-fb_img_1649044058082.jpg

Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"-fb_img_1649044073190.jpg

Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"-fb_img_1649044075334.jpg

Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"-fb_img_1649044077704.jpg

Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"-fb_img_1649044080048.jpg

Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"-fb_img_1649044083869.jpg

Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"-fb_img_1649044088366.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 4th April 2022 at 09:24.
Venkatesh is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 09:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Volkswagen is celebrating the end of the Polo’s production with a special edition – the Polo Legend edition. Based on GT TSI it gets a legend badge on the flanks, some decals on the side and will be limited in number.
When I heard Ashish Gupta talk about a special edition Polo before EOP (powerdrift interview IIRC), I actually thought they were coming up with something special. All they could do was put a badge and re-use some old stickers

Since they are calling it the 'Legend' edition, some special treatment would have been nice - A unique colour, interior theme maybe ??, afterall it's the Polo that has kept them going for a decade !

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 4th April 2022 at 09:46.
fiat_tarun is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 09:52   #3
BHPian

re: Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"

What a disappointment, if there are only these 2 cosmetic changes. Polo was the reason why VW could survive in India for a decade.
My wishlist for the last batch would be:
1. 1.5TSI Manual (they have the combo)
2. GTI seats and steering wheel
3. Limited edition colour scheme - something like the Audi Cabriolet Vegas Yellow.

Pricing could be kept the same as there will be only limited number of cars. This would have appealed to VW loyalist especially those who are owning a Polo which is more than 8 years now.
VWAllstar is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 10:14   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

What a disappointing 'farewell ' to Volkswagen's legend in India.
The Polo was the only car that the group could survive and many a times it was the best seller for the group. Even today it will do wonders in volumes in the completive premium hatch segment.

Polo will be discontinued very soon as it will make way for the Taigun, Virtus and the upcoming sub compact SUV in India and no car will repeat the success the Polo had enjoyed.

Volkswagen Polo will not be receiving a generation upgrade in India, to be discontinued along with Vento this year.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 10:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Since they are calling it the 'Legend' edition, some special treatment would have been nice - A unique colour, interior theme maybe ??, afterall it's the Polo that has kept them going for a decade !
They called it a "Legend" because they want you to just "wait for it" for 10 long years and then they would "Dary" (Dare) to launch the New Gen Polo - if they would want to at all that is.
RavSam is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 11:13   #6
BHPian

Where did they do an unveiling? Outside a shopping cum residential apartment block? They didn't even bother to hide the rain gutter piped in the photos for the "legend". Lame behaviour from the events and marketing teams at VW.
umohan98 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 11:29   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umohan98 View Post
They didn't even bother to hide the rain gutter piped in the photos for the "legend".
, so true! I was staring aghast at it from the morning itself. Apart from the alloys, I was struggling to make out the difference between this and my humble 2012 Trendline in similar Flash Red. Even the Legend badge looks like a castaway from a HM Contessa Classic.

What an ignominious end to the 'Legend'.
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 11:30   #8
BHPian

This is sad. Particular for the enthusiasts. There is no direct competitor to the Polo in terms of what it offers.

Yes, we have the i20 N-Line, but I don't consider it to be a direct competitor to the Polo because it is way more expensive and doesn't even offer a proper manual with a clutch pedal.

I wish that the people who have already booked the Polo, and are waiting for theirs to be delivered, get their hands on their favorite hatchback at the right time.

As for this special edition, they say that this is aimed towards the enthusiasts, they could had given it the proper 6-speed manual at least, but I guess it is what it is.
Siddy_1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 11:41   #9
BHPian

Agreed!! A car with such a legacy should have been given a fitting farewell which it totally deserves. 12 years of this beauty needs a rousing applause. My father-in law had one of the Flash Red gem and driving that beast on the highways was impeccable. Long live the Polo as it ruled the enthusiasts' hearts for a long time. VW is currently evaluating a direct CBU entry for the GTI version early next year and I am sure there will be takers for that one even though it will a pocket heavy purchase.
joeva1706 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 11:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Whatever they name or other updates, glad that there are last few ones available now. So a last opportunity (personally don’t think new Polo will make it our shores anytime sooner or later) for Polo fans to grab this. If this was available in December, I would have definitely bought this over i20 IVT - interior space be damned.
Even now, whenever I see a Polo I feel I made a wrong decision for not waiting for it.

Last edited by sunikkat : 4th April 2022 at 11:51.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 11:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umohan98 View Post
Where did they do an unveiling? Outside a shopping cum residential apartment block? They didn't even bother to hide the rain gutter piped in the photos for the "legend". Lame behaviour from the events and marketing teams at VW.
Its the Pitlane at the MMRT.
sai_ace is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 11:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
This feels more like an 'April Fools' type announcement rather than a send off for a great product. Seems like Volkswagen had a few leftover decals lying around which they decided to use up in the last few production units.

Nevertheless, sad to see the Polo brand being killed off without any replacement in sight.
fordfreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 12:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT but I don't think anything worth a legendary status would need a badging claiming it as a legend.
That's just not how it works and VW of all should know that.
The Golf is legendary not the Polo the Fortuner isn't a legend the LandCruiser (not the Prado) is.

All I see is another business-wise move to sell the existing model before the replacement arrives and I don't see any harm in this but the "legend" was uncalled for IMHO.

They could've launched a "Origins/Pure" edition or something like a limited edition "22" version and got better results.

Last edited by shancz : 4th April 2022 at 12:00. Reason: correction
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 12:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
will be limited in number.
Limited to only 700 units, the Polo Legend Edition sees no price bump from the GT TSI variant, and is priced at Rs 10.25 lakh (ex-showroom, India).

Volkswagen celebrates 12 years of the Polo in India with the "Legend Edition"-20220404_120716.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 4th April 2022 at 12:11.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 12:21   #15
BHPian

One of the laziest marketing and design teams have been recruited by VW for the longest time on the Polo.

What a shame that the icon, the quintessential hot hatch of the last decade has to go down this way. No pomp and show, no media event. Look like they just lined the cars at the back of the factory or some VW building for pictures.

For the Legend edition itself, they could have made it memorable as the last vestige of a special car that kept VW in the market. Some of the thing I would have loved to see on the car:
1. LED headlights from the Vento
2. Fancier Alloys
3. Body colour brake calipers
4. Slightly lowered suspension
5. Golf R's Deep Black Pearl colour

This "special" edition is a crime. No one should be able to get away with slapping 2 badges and a sticker and calling it a special edition.

Go well Polo... You'll be missed!
GrandTourer is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks