Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2007, 13:40   #31
BHPian

When I was planning to buy my car about 1.5 years back, Fiesta was just launched with more powerful engine and better goodies like ABS, integrated stereo, leather seatls etc in lesser price then NHC. I asked the honda dealer about their views on fiesta and its impact on NHC. They simply answered by saying that Sir, Honda is not for money concious people, its for quality concious people.
And I think that is very true atleast in India. otherwise NHC would not have been seeling more then other cheaper options like fiestas, vernas and aveos.
After driving my city ZX for abt 1.5 years now, I can say that honda is definitely a quality product and it brings peace of mind and class to you which is so very important when you are buying a car in this segement. So, I think NHC will not have much impact on sales from SX4 though I also feel that SX4 will do well simply bcoz of so many extra features it has in evry good price. I think SX4 will kill the other petrol cars in this segement except NHC. There will only be NHC and SX4 selling in this segement from now onwards but only time will tell.
Old 14th June 2007, 13:49   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The CR-V is a new product and they are not facing any threat at the moment. Even though it is priced really high, it is still the highest selling premium SUV in India.
Dont be so sure!

Check out the Grand Vitara thread.

Seems Suzuki is bringing in the 1.9 DDiS with 130 bhp and 30 kgm torque. With a good price, could give Honda a run for its money. (CR-V is not known for good FE)
Old 14th June 2007, 14:22   #33
BHPian

have a look at this article in Rediff.com

Honda Siel Cars India has started training its sales force to counter the challenge of SX4, the sedan launched by Maruti Udyog on May 7.

full article here :

Honda takes on Maruti SX4
Old 14th June 2007, 14:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom2_ash View Post
I asked the honda dealer about their views on fiesta and its impact on NHC. They simply answered by saying that Sir, Honda is not for money concious people, its for quality concious people.
It's exactly this "we are superior then all other car makers" attitude that I find really irritating about Honda and their dealers. What do they mean by that statement about money concious and quality conscious people? Was the dealership trying to say that Ford's are junk? Or where they trying to say that only cheap people buy non-Honda products, in effect calling you a cheap guy for considering Ford? If I were you, I would ask them to explain why their quality product doesn't come with basic safety features like ABS even after being more expensive then the Ford. This attitude goes not just towards other car makers but also with their customers.

For their attitude, I hope SX4 murders the NHC's sales month after month!

Last edited by amit : 14th June 2007 at 14:31.
Old 14th June 2007, 15:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

I hope SX4 does affect City sales. This will make Honda load up the new City. That would mean getting a good car on par with other parts of the world.
Old 14th June 2007, 15:02   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
It's exactly this "we are superior then all other car makers" attitude that I find really irritating about Honda and their dealers. What do they mean by that statement about money concious and quality conscious people? Was the dealership trying to say that Ford's are junk? Or where they trying to say that only cheap people buy non-Honda products, in effect calling you a cheap guy for considering Ford? If I were you, I would ask them to explain why their quality product doesn't come with basic safety features like ABS even after being more expensive then the Ford. This attitude goes not just towards other car makers but also with their customers.

For their attitude, I hope SX4 murders the NHC's sales month after month!
it is true . Very well said
Old 14th June 2007, 15:05   #37
BHPian

@Amit, I agree with you and even I felt it bit arrogant from Honda dealer.
But forget their attitude, if you see in general, Honda is actually producing the quality and reliable products. The only problem is that they are charging premium on that. But as long as customer(including me) is happy to pay that and is satisfied after using their product, they will keep saying this.
Old 14th June 2007, 15:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

Honda's problem is that they know they make very good cars, and that is what they are sticking at, Not every Tom, Dick & Harry purchases their cars, Go to a M&M / Hyundai or MUL Showroom and you will find all sorts of people sitting & sipping their cups of tea and spitting 'paan' in the dustbins.

Honda cars have ' status ' and this is the reason they are so adamant about not giving discounts or for that matter of fact adding neccessities like ABS & Airbags. BUT IMO they better start worrying now because MUL & Hyundai now have decided to improve their status & acting fast ( i.e - Verna / Swift / SX4 ). I would really love to see what HONDA does next !! . Let the car wars begin !!!!!
Old 14th June 2007, 16:02   #39
BHPian

If they were really so concerned about getting a quality product to the buyer, why do they not sell the cars with the same specifications that they sell them with elsewhere ??
Look at the fit aria (REF Thread 'Coming Tiis June : NHC with ABS and airbags )

One may charge a premium for a quality product but they have no right to say a car is for the quality conscious when in reality it's a toned down version of the original car for the third-world countries....
Old 14th June 2007, 19:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely. I agree with you all. Its high time Honda stops bragging about itself and look at offering the customer real value for money for what he is paying. Why is it that the Indian customer is taken for a ride everytime when his counterparts across the globe are assured of quality products for the money they shell out ? Luxury can come at a price but not safety. Honda was making hay while the sun was shining bright only until the SX4 was launched.
Old 15th June 2007, 06:11   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
I think what alabjarus means by NHC had never been a compromise choice is that those who buy NHC, and there are tons of them buying it month after month and year on year, do not do so as a compromise choice. They know all the facts. They also know that there are other cars available in the same segment which probably cost less, give more goodies, more power etc. And still they go for an NHC.
Most of the buyers(not all) simply go and buy a car because of the sole reason that it's selling. And, folks are having a perception that the top seller is always the best bet. This applies to every segment and not to NHC/SX4 alone.

I've found some C-segment owners who haven't even heard of SX4 !!! So, that shows the knowledge level of most of the owners when it comes to automobiles !!!

If they find out that the SX4 is the top seller in it's segment, then they will fetch it in the place of NHC. Sounds simple, right ?
Old 15th June 2007, 17:01   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Most of the buyers(not all) simply go and buy a car because of the sole reason that it's selling. And, folks are having a perception that the top seller is always the best bet. This applies to every segment and not to NHC/SX4 alone.

I've found some C-segment owners who haven't even heard of SX4 !!! So, that shows the knowledge level of most of the owners when it comes to automobiles !!!

If they find out that the SX4 is the top seller in it's segment, then they will fetch it in the place of NHC. Sounds simple, right ?
I went otherway when I was deciding to buy car. I started with budget 5.5L and went on up to 8L. Then I finalized between NHC and (yet to launch that time) SX4, without knowing about segment leader and all such funda - just based on data. Finally bought SX4.

As you said it right, Indians need to start looking at data (facts, spec, etc) to decide what to buy - then it will really be tough world for all who sell cars under just brand name tag.
Old 15th June 2007, 17:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
...then it will really be tough world for all who sell cars under just brand name tag.
Will the world exist without brand names? I doubt.
Old 15th June 2007, 19:48   #44
BHPian

Whatever is said about brand and all that if honda had decided to provide much needed safety features in terms of ABS, airbags only because their competition are offering them with lower priced cars it is a shame for them.

There is absolutely no denying that they have been charging a premium on all of their cars that they sell in India. It wasn't very sensible of them not to provide full set of features in city and civic. As Jagdish Kattar says in his advt letter "There are other choices for the customers". Its only a matter of customers realizing it.

Honda of course sells quality cars at the same time they cannot just take that extra money from customers and at the same time cut down on important features.
Old 15th June 2007, 20:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

Honda SEIL getting shivers already?

Suzuki has not yet used its most powerful missile in its arsenal..the 1.3 16V 90 bhp version of the Fiat diesel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks