Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2007, 20:57   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Honda SEIL getting shivers already?

Suzuki has not yet used its most powerful missile in its arsenal..the 1.3 16V 90 bhp version of the Fiat diesel.
I guess it will be like the Swift Story.

SX4 takes the segment by storm. Takes lot of sales. Honda responds. Finally sales start to stabilise, and out comes the diesel to redifine the segment once again.

Only this time i hope there will be an ZDi. Will sure have sales, considering VXi is not moving much compared to the fantastic ZXi.
Old 16th June 2007, 02:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

Such Snobbery from Honda, I just feel like asking Maruti to position a sales guy just outside Honda showroom, so that each prospective City buyer is atleast given one taste of SX4. With such statements from Honda salesmen, its good to remind them of the reason why the Titanic sank.

One more thing in Kolkata, most of the salesmen/women at the dealerships of cars non-Honda seem to take the pleasure to brag about the fact that they were working with Honda prior to working here.
Old 16th June 2007, 06:18   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar
Honda's problem is that they know they make very good cars, and that is what they are sticking at, Not every Tom, Dick & Harry purchases their cars, Go to a M&M / Hyundai or MUL Showroom and you will find all sorts of people sitting & sipping their cups of tea and spitting 'paan' in the dustbins.
I've also seen hoards of the "so called" uncultured people in the Honda showrooms and buying CRV/Accord !!!

Remove your impression that all those who are driving M&M/Hyundai/MUL/Tata are uncultivated folks !!!
Old 16th June 2007, 12:39   #49
BHPian

SX4 Zxi version is surely ahead of NHC ZX version, specially in the safety components. Hope NHC matches to the SX4 in that area soon.
Old 17th June 2007, 02:08   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The accord,this seems to be the safest for the time being,
This point was actually raised on NDTV car and bike show,one which we at Team-bhp did not quite notice.
Believe it or not ,the crdi is doing wonders for the Hyundai Sonata,last month the sonata sold 116 units vs 255 units of the accord[sales of the accord in april,may figures no breakup available].
Old 17th June 2007, 08:43   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
This point was actually raised on NDTV car and bike show,one which we at Team-bhp did not quite notice.
Believe it or not ,the crdi is doing wonders for the Hyundai Sonata,last month the sonata sold 116 units vs 255 units of the accord[sales of the accord in april,may figures no breakup available].
Wonder why i haven't seen one yet!

As for diesels in the segment, Laura sells much more, i guess.
Old 25th June 2007, 17:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Specifications - the Official Honda Web Site

See this.... all for 21,290 $ less than a million indian rupees!
Old 25th June 2007, 20:18   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Specifications - the Official Honda Web Site

See this.... all for 21,290 $ less than a million indian rupees!
This precisely the reason I find it very difficult to consider or recommend any of these overpriced cars in India (> US$40000 for a Camry? no way).
Old 25th June 2007, 21:14   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
This precisely the reason I find it very difficult to consider or recommend any of these overpriced cars in India (> US$40000 for a Camry? no way).
USD 40,000 ? With current dollar rates, Camry is more than USD 50,000 OTR.
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:31   #55
Senior - BHPian

The unthinkable has just happened:

Quote:
Honda Siel Cars India (HSCI) reported a 17 per cent dip with sales of 4,533 units as against 5,461 units in the same month last year.
Source:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/2249054.cms
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:50   #56
Senior - BHPian

1. Last they had just launched Civic which sold in good numbers which boosted the total number.
2. Direct competition: NHC had to just one strong competitor: Fiesta. This year there are many: SX4, Verna along with Fiesta. Also Aveo sales has picked up slightly. This has brought down the total number.
Old 2nd August 2007, 13:32   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Such Snobbery from Honda, I just feel like asking Maruti to position a sales guy just outside Honda showroom, so that each prospective City buyer is atleast given one taste of SX4. With such statements from Honda salesmen, its good to remind them of the reason why the Titanic sank.

One more thing in Kolkata, most of the salesmen/women at the dealerships of cars non-Honda seem to take the pleasure to brag about the fact that they were working with Honda prior to working here.
could not agree with you more on this..
I personally hope SX4 blows out the NHC (even though I am not a great fan of SX4, and why should I be?? it made my present car obsolete )
Old 2nd August 2007, 13:42   #58
VBV
BHPian

I came across this article:
Why Tata, Hyundai & Honda are selling fewer cars

It clearly says "However, Honda -- already hit by the new SX4 from Maruti -- again showed a 17 per cent dip in sales in July at 4,533 units, as against 5,461 units sold in the same month a year ago."

However I think the interpretation is wrong, because Honda can afford to take it easy till MUL increases its capacity. Right now, its not a fair market scenario. Its limited by supply constraints and new introduction.
Old 2nd August 2007, 15:53   #59
BHPian

i think if the car buying public was made up of the teambhp board Honda will have something to worry about, here i think people have a better understanding of cars; safety features, value and such.

For instance I think Honda is overpriced and taking advantage of the market condition in India and I will not support that with my money. I don't think this is necessarily reflected in the wider market. People will continue to buy the NHC for space, reliability and brand value.

More competition is obviously going to make Honda think again but with their current pricing I think they are definitely going to be out outmaneuvered by companies who will deliver more value at lower prices, and some of these companies will even have the brand value. City should not be more than 7-7.5 for the highest models, Civic more in the 10 range than 12-14 which is overpriced, now how will they compete when we get similar cars in that range and better cars in their current range of prices?
Old 3rd August 2007, 02:00   #60
BHPian

Doomed Honda!

I have been saying this for a long time in different forums that all Honda cars in India were overpriced all these years and am glad to see this thread. Some more from me to Honda

Fiesta / Aveo / Verna and now SX4 collectively will knock out City. Even aging Lancer has its own market in this segment, which is expanding crazily and Honda is surely going to miss its pie.

Civic's hype is a matter of 6 more months. Again, serious threat would be in form of new Corolla & Elantra in 2008. Octavia / Optra & Magnum now / Cedia have created their space within this segment. I decided in favour of Cedia over Civic as it was giving me everthing but for that jazz dashboard for 3.5 lacs lesser.

Just simply watch what would become of CRV when Mitsubishi launches Outlander.

Accord would always have limited numbers as this segment is yet to warm up in terms of volumes. This segment would not decide make or break for the auto companies in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks