Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2007, 22:33   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Cheaper Scorpio variant launched EDIT: More variants with Cheaper 2.2

Mahindra has launched a cheaper variant of Scorpio badged LX, it has the same 2.6 CDRe engine,power windows,HVAC,power steering and grey interiors.The price quoted in the newspaper advertisement was 6.96lakhs ex showroom delhi.To check out the new variant i Visited the scorpio dealer in gurgaon,the salesman did not know about this variant after showing him the newspaper advertisement he told us that he knew nothing,but the phone number for sterling motors was duly mentioned in the ad.Then called up Bhasin motors the dealer for scorpio in south extension,the salesman tells me to call back after 1hour,after waiting for 2-3 hours i call back again,the salesman is ready to answer my queries now,i ask him "kya features hain LX mein?" he says "sub kuch hai",i get the idea of his knowledge after talking to him for a minute and he knew nothing about the vehicle so i hung up.
Old 11th June 2007, 22:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

haa haa haaaa... that was rich. sab kuchh hai?!!
IMO, they would have cut somewhere or the other. Most probably the kind of seat, AC option (speed, no. of blowers), interior plastic, claddings and such stuff. I think it is essentially a step to pull in more customers and as such may just be a simple renaming of the lower version (sienna=>Petra?) and then some price reduction.
Old 11th June 2007, 22:51   #3
LLL
BHPian

yep, their website has this info. not much difference between lx and dx.
Old 11th June 2007, 23:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

This move is to counter now fast selling "dicor" which I am sure now is eating into Scorpio's sales.
Old 11th June 2007, 23:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Could this be seen as a precursor to bringing in the Aluminium 2.2?
Old 12th June 2007, 10:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Could this be seen as a precursor to bringing in the Aluminium 2.2?
Might or might not, sometimes, economies of scale let the manufacturers reduce their pricing and increase thier sales and they gain in the numbers.
Old 12th June 2007, 11:01   #7
BHPian

An already cheap (quality wise) vehicle goes down further. I dont like the way things r movirng in Mahindra camp w.r.t scorpio!
Old 12th June 2007, 11:42   #8
BHPian

Its the same as the earlier STD version, no cladding, no rear wiper etc etc. I think they have started calling the STD the LX. The price is also the same, it seems they have thrown in few goodies like central locking, remote fuel tank opener, tiltable steering etc.
Old 12th June 2007, 13:22   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Its the same as the earlier STD version, no cladding, no rear wiper etc etc. I think they have started calling the STD the LX. The price is also the same, it seems they have thrown in few goodies like central locking, remote fuel tank opener, tiltable steering etc.
The standard variant is priced at around 7.50 ex-showroom delhi and the standard variant does not have power windows,i dont know what else is the difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmishra83 View Post
An already cheap (quality wise) vehicle goes down further. I dont like the way things r movirng in Mahindra camp w.r.t scorpio!
Quality is of Scorpio is on par with other vehicles in class,its the safari that suffers from quality problems.
Old 12th June 2007, 14:05   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

For that price range, any car should have definitely more creature comforts than what is being offered
Old 12th June 2007, 14:52   #11
BHPian

bad

Am getting a bad vibe from Mahindra, if they dont act rationally and stretch their feet to long they are going fall in the Gap. I frankly dont see how they could have cut cost with the Scorpio, its already of very poor material quality. Hope Anand knows what he is doing.
Old 12th June 2007, 16:40   #12
BHPian

Mahindra -Renault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Mahindra has launched a cheaper variant of Scorpio badged LX, it has the same 2.6 CDRe engine,power windows,HVAC,power steering and grey interiors.The price quoted in the newspaper advertisement was 6.96lakhs ex showroom delhi.To check out the new variant i Visited the scorpio dealer in gurgaon,the salesman did not know about this variant after showing him the newspaper advertisement he told us that he knew nothing,but the phone number for sterling motors was duly mentioned in the ad.Then called up Bhasin motors the dealer for scorpio in south extension,the salesman tells me to call back after 1hour,after waiting for 2-3 hours i call back again,the salesman is ready to answer my queries now,i ask him "kya features hain LX mein?" he says "sub kuch hai",i get the idea of his knowledge after talking to him for a minute and he knew nothing about the vehicle so i hung up.
Well this tells us about the knowledge of Mahindra. This reason is enough to tell about the failure of Logan.
This happened to me too when i had enquired about Logan from Bhasin in South-Ex.
Old 13th June 2007, 01:08   #13
LLL
BHPian

Just saw a LX standing ouside Koncept in Noida.

black bumpers, doesnt have any cladding or sidesteps. a bad idea...IMO
Old 13th June 2007, 01:25   #14

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well i dont think it has anything to do with the aluminium 2.2 engine otherwise all the variants would have seen a price reduction.
Old 13th June 2007, 11:23   #15
BHPian

Thats too quick an update for just updated Scorpio. I remember it was revamped in 2005(?) end with so called 43 new features including the Lotus suspension system. Is it 2005 end or I got it wrong?

Btw, any one has url for pics of this Scorpio version? Any pointer would be helpful!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks