Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2007, 18:31   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Autobahns in Germany are said to have lesser accident rate compared to "speed limited" freeways in the US. But again here the inner/fast lane is almost exclusively reserved for "high end sedans/coupes (read Mercs, Beemers and Italians)". If you have a low end car like Camry, you will be elbowed out easily by these mostly dark monsters.

But again, all of these has to be read alongwith the traffic density, quality of roads and ofcourse the driver attitude.
Having driven extensively in India, Germany & US - i have to say that the safest driving conditions are no doubt on the german Autobahns which do not have a speed limit ! But then everyone here follows traffic rules to the last S - no sudden change of lanes, no "bail- gadi" on the higway (had a very serious accident on Blr-Chennai highway once with a bullockcart coming in the wrong direction in the fast lane) and what not. Having said that, its also true that germans are very aggresive drivers - if you want to drive in the fast lane, you have to be prepared to drive consistently abouve 160-170 and then also every now and then you have to give way to a speeding Porche or a Beemer.

If the whole point of speed limits is safety, it won't work - especially with such ridiculous limits of 50kmph on highways. What is the need of the day is more strict enforcement of existing traffic laws, proper driver certification (especially of the killer state roadways buses and trucks) and maintanence of raods.
Old 12th June 2007, 18:34   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by double View Post
If u force the people to do 50 kmph in GQ , certainly they will go the sleep or atleast I if i drive...
I think the actual recommendation is 50 for normal highways and 80 for expressways. So maybe GQ falls under the latter. In any case, it would have been good to have the speed limits set comparable to other countries like Malaysia or Australia (100-120 kmph).
Old 12th June 2007, 19:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

I have read with interest & amusement all this raving and ranting on the illogical policies of the Govt. Like some 'learned' Judge of the Delhi HC passed an order banning all kinds of films and tints in the cars to prevent , rape, murders and other crimes being committed; just for the law-enforcers to save themselves the hassle of actually preventing crime from happening, which is their primary job to do.

All this makes me wonder if at all there is a mechanism at the TBHP where the views thus expressed by fellow members on various vexing issues is conveyed or made known to the concerned authorities? Or is it just that we all are venting our anger or frustration here by expressing our views? Something akin to letting the steam out..!

Last edited by gd1418 : 12th June 2007 at 19:31.
Old 12th June 2007, 19:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Maybe its time for Radar detectors in India too, "Valentine1" anyone?
Old 12th June 2007, 19:32   #35
Senior - BHPian

@1100D - get one for your ride (dhanno) in Cal. the cops here have rolled up their sleeves. surprize checks seems to be their favourite tool @ AJC Bose Rd Flyover and EM ByPass.
Old 12th June 2007, 20:14   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
@1100D - get one for your ride (dhanno) in Cal. the cops here have rolled up their sleeves. surprize checks seems to be their favourite tool @ AJC Bose Rd Flyover and EM ByPass.
Can you try to know what make model Gun they are using? I am already procuring a Lidar (Laser Radar detector) but then Kolkata being so small a city, no matter which road they are at, the detectors going to alarm. But then they are not going to be checking 24X7 and evenif they do, reduce the shiny bits that cops tend to focus the radar guns on. There are masks available as well. So dont worry, if they get serious, we will get serious as well.
Old 12th June 2007, 20:58   #37
BHPian

Totally insane figures. 50 & 80 ?? Or have they forgotten to print the 1 before 50 & 80!

Its the pedestrians, animals & local motorists/cyclists which need to be educated first. Just because this seems a big task, the govt. finds it easy to reduce speed limits I guess.

Driving on the wrong side of the road is a major caise for accidents as well.

az
Old 12th June 2007, 22:33   #38
BHPian

what the hell are these speeds.

do they want to compete with bullock carts or what?

and what is the use of having cars which do above 100+ kmph if they are going to keep 80kmph limit. maybe gov wants all cars to be sold to be only M800's .
Old 13th June 2007, 02:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

I sadly have to say this speed limit rule may actually become implemented,because in our country the government always looks at the easiest way out.Look at the banning of tinted glasses in Delhi.Also as a member has pointed out out somewhere it seems to have been already implemented.

The ministers,vips would be the least bothered,after all their entourage is still going to do 100kmph while the aam aadmi with no contacts would have to do half that speed.

Please make airbags and abs compulsory first,then see the difference.Secondly provide proper medical care to the injured,the medical attention ,the formalities ,procedures are so complicated accident
victims often die unattended because of the fear of the legal tangles and the appalling medical facilities even in the biggest of cities so forget about highways.Emergency response teams are just a dream.

Also ensure no overloading of trucks ,this is a big problem and corruption by the officials is worsening this problem.

However that said I do support speed limits just that it should be a more practical limit,Government of India is also talking of increasing the average distance traveled per day[highways] to about 500km so I feel the speed limit should be implemented keeping this in mind as well.
Old 13th June 2007, 02:34   #40
BHPian

those speeds arnt going to be implemented - no way! In kerala on the highway NH the spped limit is 70 kmph and city 50 kmph, the speed tracers here have nightvision speed tracking devices. i know of this because it was displayed in a recent autoshow i went to.

even if they do what do we team-bhpians do
Old 13th June 2007, 03:51   #41
BHPian

My experience after driving fairly extensively on north Indian highways tells me that the average speed is only 50 kph, and that too when there are streaches where I do 120 kph. Even after trying all sorts of heroics, the maximum I have been able to squeeze is 60.

So if the speed limit is enforced, the highways would no longer be a feasible alternative to trains and airlines as the average speed is likely to come down to as low as 30 kph! Perhaps that is what the government really intends to do.
Old 13th June 2007, 09:10   #42
BHPian

I have seen Police with barricades on NH-8, just after shiv murti in the night. It results in such a chaos and imagine barricades on expressway. And it is regular affair.
Old 13th June 2007, 10:51   #43
BHPian

Ahh!!! At this logic, these law makers shall one day ban examinations also for the fear of malpractices (copying, question paper leaks etc.)

Motorists and road users need to change their attitudes. Sensible and responsible motoring from everyone is the need of the hour

Hope one day we too would have 50 & 80km/hr as 'minimum' speeds
Old 13th June 2007, 11:23   #44
BHPian

implementing barricades is the worst way to enforce speed restriction. one of my friends father met with an accident bcos of those barricades. normal tendency for drivers is to overtake if you see a vehicle is going slowly but when you do that all you will be seeing is huge barricades right in front of you.
Old 13th June 2007, 14:44   #45
BHPian

Guys, I know team-bhp is group of very enthusiastic drivers. But understand that you are not driving in Europe/America. Looking at accidents on Pune-Mumbai expressway where we can not blame on bad roads, lack of road signs etc, it is clear that the blame goes to drivers. Even if you are driving fine, there is overall risk someone else loosing the control of vehicle. People dont understand what braking distance is required at that speed. How else you can explain accidents where car waiting at toll- gate gets banged from behind.

When I drive at 80KM/hr, I see other vehilcles just zooming by. They must be driving at 150 speed. Most of these drivers are not thinking of braking distance. There should be atleast 3-4 seconds distance, but I see some vehicles nearly touching bumper of car ahead, honking, flashing headlights, just because they are driving skoda and they dont want to follow a santro.

The speed limits of 80 & 50 are debatable. I think GQ is capable of much more than 50. But I do support speed control for our own safety. Probably we can do away with this when our highways and driving discipline will match to Germans on Autobahns.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks