Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2007, 13:57   #1
BHPian

Speed limits in Highways and expressways

today morning i noticed in newspapers that the government is planning to enforce speed limits in highways and express ways. 50km/hr for highways and 80kms/hr in express ways. this is to avoid increasing road accidents due to over speeding. within a week's time, a commitee would come up with a policy to enforce the standards.

the speed limits they are proposing is too low to drive in highways/expressways.

i would definitely miss my drive in the golden quadrilateral highway - blr to chennai.

Last edited by ebmrajesh : 12th June 2007 at 14:08.
Old 12th June 2007, 14:24   #2
BHPian

And how are they planning to enforce it. Cameras and all on highways. or Highway patrol?
Old 12th June 2007, 14:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

You mean 50kmph in Golden Quad...No way !!!...It is designed for 100kmph speed....Then the whole purpose of lower time between travel gets lost...

But yes 100kmph limit in GQ looks logical and make sense...

Abhi
Old 12th June 2007, 14:27   #4
BHPian

man surely people would stop buying powerful cars like CRV's in India..
Old 12th June 2007, 14:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
And how are they planning to enforce it. Cameras and all on highways. or Highway patrol?
This is a big question

Probably through Satellite.... or what? I am sure highway petrol cannot catch it....

Abhi
Old 12th June 2007, 14:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Ive noticed speeds are being monitored by radars on Delhi-Chandigarh highway,one day i saw speeds being checked at 3 places on the highway.Be careful next time you visit the road.
Old 12th June 2007, 14:31   #7
BHPian

Whaaat?? 50 km/h on GQ?? Arrrgh!! Krackjacks! Its too low! May their plan go to the garbage bin..! I'd say 120 km/h. If they really do this, I'd protest against it.

A
Old 12th June 2007, 14:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Time for some performance upgrades to give a nice chase to the cops
Old 12th June 2007, 14:45   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Ive noticed speeds are being monitored by radars on Delhi-Chandigarh highway,one day i saw speeds being checked at 3 places on the highway.Be careful next time you visit the road.
Speed cameras are there only till the Delhi border IIRC.
I have never seen them in Haryana or Punjab, except when you enter Ludhiana city limits.
Old 12th June 2007, 14:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
the news does not say anything about the technic they would use to enforce this...but defintely not cameras and satellites . cheap and dangerous way is to add speed breakers/barriers and humps...i hate those speed barriers, they are so dangerous that you will never get noticed. classical eg is all those placed in blr-mysore highway.
Old 12th June 2007, 14:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Time for some performance upgrades to give a nice chase to the cops
Busa, the problem with the buggers here is that they try to stop you by jumping into the path of your (speeding) car if they are on foot or by bringing their car or bike directly in the path of your (speeding) car with no consideration for whether or not you are in a position to stop!

Difficult to evade them if they are hiding a km up the road from where the camera/laser gun is...................
Old 12th June 2007, 14:48   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

This is stuff of ulcers.
Old 12th June 2007, 14:53   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Then I might have to stick to regular late night drives from home to ashoka's. Maybe not, because saturday night drives start at some 12am while these cops are busy resting or whatever that is they do.

I guess they would use barricades like someone mentioned on mysore road. Its a pity that the govt cant get the speed limits right on these roads. Actually, they cant get it right anywhere. Then, its a different story all together to see if they can enforce them properly.
Old 12th June 2007, 14:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Since final decision is not yet taken I feel Governement won't do this. Otherwise its waste upgrading highways all over India, From last 4 years India has spent thousands of crors on these projects.

May be they mean to say untill long delayed GC, other highway projects over they will enforce speed limits

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 12th June 2007, 14:58   #15
Team-BHP Support

educating the public rather than enforcing a per historic idea of 50 kmph, where are we going with all this, free way, highway, super highway with 50 kmph speed limit!! 100 to 120 is realistic.

in india the priority is still for humans than vehicular movement be it local galli or super highway
Closed Thread

Most Viewed