Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2022, 18:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Next-gen Mercedes C-Class India launch on May 10; bookings open

Mod Note: Our Mercedes C-Class Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Mercedes-Benz will announce prices for the new C-Class on 10th May 2022. Bookings open at Rs 50,000 for existing Mercedes-Benz customers until 30th April.

Next-gen Mercedes C-Class India launch on May 10; bookings open-20220413_182057.jpg

Next-gen Mercedes C-Class India launch on May 10; bookings open-20220413_182102.jpg

Press Release

Quote:
Mercedes-Benz opens booking for the New C-Class ‘exclusively for Mercedes-Benz customers’ first; ‘Baby S-Class’ to make India debut on 10th May

For the First time, exclusive booking window for Mercedes-Benz customers only, from 13th-30th April; booking for other prospects will open from 1st May onwards

Bookings to open with the C200 and C300d variants later followed by the C220d variant

- Mercedes-Benz India has sold about 37,000 units of the C-Class in India making it one of the most successful models in the portfolio
- Baby S-Class: New Generation Mercedes-Benz C-Class (W206) derives a wide range of innovative technology, superior comfort and design from the flagship S-Class
- Mercedes-Benz C-Class will have three variants at launch: C200, C220d, and the top-end C300d
- Already significant customer interest for the New C-Class across markets
- The booking amount for the New C-Class is INR 50,000

Pune: India’s largest luxury carmaker, Mercedes-Benz India today announced the opening of bookings for the all-new Mercedes-Benz C-Class, exclusively for Mercedes-Benz customers from 13-30th April 2022. Bookings for remaining prospects will open from 1st May 2022 onwards. The booking amount for the car is INR 50,000.

The New Generation Mercedes-Benz C-Class will make its much-awaited India debut on 10th May 2022, and will be available across its Franchise Partner network and also digitally at the Mercedes-Benz India online store.

Martin Schwenk, Managing Director & CEO, Mercedes-Benz India said, “The C-Class is an important product in our portfolio and will strengthen our luxury sedan offering even more. With every new generation, the loyal customers of the C-Class have preferred the car owing to its superior comfort, technological prowess and evolving design. The new C-Class now creates a new benchmark by excelling in design, comfort and tech offerings, moving closer to the New S-Class, rightly underlining its popularity as the Baby S-Class”

Mr. Schwenk added, “The C-Class has already generated significant interest among our customers even before launch. To honor their loyalty and long wait for the car, for the first time we are exclusively opening the bookings of the New C-Class for our existing Mercedes-Benz customers only. We are confident the new C-Class will redefine the segment and continue its customer preference, strengthening our leadership in the luxury sedan segment.”

Last edited by Aditya : 9th May 2022 at 12:37. Reason: Link to review added
Venkatesh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 20:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Next-gen Mercedes C-Class India launch on May 10; bookings open

Next-gen Mercedes C-Class India launch on May 10; bookings open - Post moved to a new thread.
Old 14th April 2022, 00:14   #3
BHPian

Landmark MB has shared with me that theyre expecting the C to cost 70 lac INR on the road in GJ. Thats a bit of an overkill considering the price. I would never pay that kind of money for a C class. I hope the market gives them a reality check sometime soon.
M00M is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 07:57   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The current W205 C-Class has been in production for 8 years, so this new generation was surely overdue. That said, I have to say that the W205 has aged well and still looks fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Bookings open at Rs 50,000 for existing Mercedes-Benz customers
Haha! Like the "existing customers" bit. However, considering that the C-Class is almost the entry point to the brand (A-Class aside), I doubt too many "existing customers" (i.e. owners of the E, S, GLE) will book the new C-Class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Landmark MB has shared with me that theyre expecting the C to cost 70 lac INR on the road in GJ.
New luxury car prices make me dizzy, man. The current C-Class is about 55 - 60 lakhs OTR Mumbai. Am sure Benz will come out with some launch editions at the start at a higher price, and then bring out more reasonable prices. I personally don't think the C-Class has it to sell for over 60-lakhs. But wow, even 60 is insane for what is a Baby Benz with a cramped rear seat.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 08:20   #5
BHPian

The SA I am in touch with hinted that the C class is expected to be around 74L OTR. The 5 series / X3 / Q5 were in this ballpark until 15 days ago and have now gone up by another 5 - 6 lakhs. The 330i sport which was available at 49L OTR 4 months ago is now unavailable (even if it were, its sticker price is 59L OTR). The M-Sport variant is now retailing at 67L OTR and we get 3.5L discount at most on this. All the OTR prices mentioned are ex Bangalore.
SR-71 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 17:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Haha! Like the "existing customers" bit. However, considering that the C-Class is almost the entry point to the brand (A-Class aside), I doubt too many "existing customers" (i.e. owners of the E, S, GLE) will book the new C-Class.
Even for ‘existing customers’ that belong to the other end of the spectrum (people who own older/smaller Mercs), the W206 could be a tough sell. I bought a C-class about 8-9 years ago for under 40 lakhs. I am someone who keeps cars for long. The new car bug had recently bitten me, causing me to go have a look at a couple of new cars. I was surprised to see that even if I were to spend close to 55 lakhs in a Benz dealership today, all I can get is an A-Class or a GLA. Now, both of them do feel modern and premium on the inside, but except for some additional tech, there is nothing that would compel me to spend nearly 35-40 lakhs over what I would get for my old C-class. Plus I end up loosing my 1.8 litre Mercedes engine (as opposed to the Renault engine in the newer ones), rear wheel drive, get a smaller boot and a stiffer ride.

I wouldn’t even dare to look beyond the A and GLA because there is absolutely no way I am spending 60-70 lakhs for a C-class or 75-80 for a new E-class. I feel like I have been effectively priced out of upgrading within the Merc range.

What did I decide to do? Well, my current C has only 26k on the odo. I am planning to get new tyres, engine mounts, spark plugs etc. and keep it till it completes its 15 years in Delhi.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 18:22   #7
BHPian

The discussion on this thread is more apt on this thread...

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...w-audi-16.html (The ridiculous price hikes of German luxury cars - Mercedes, BMW & Audi)

70lakhs for a C class, suddenly 45lakhs for an A4 seems like it's not a premium badge anymore! With the new no discount/bargain strategy from Merc, was this the writing on the wall, anyway, that we failed to see?
lapis_lazuli is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 19:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
New luxury car prices make me dizzy, man. The current C-Class is about 55 - 60 lakhs OTR Mumbai. Am sure Benz will come out with some launch editions at the start at a higher price, and then bring out more reasonable prices. I personally don't think the C-Class has it to sell for over 60-lakhs. But wow, even 60 is insane for what is a Baby Benz with a cramped rear seat.
I agree with you. It does not have the brand equity or space to cost more than 50 lacs but now the Indian market is rewarding them every time they raise prices. I think you and I are a bit of a minority that thinks theyre not worth the price theyre charging and fooling us with.
M00M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 01:26   #9
BHPian

Current luxury vehicle prices are insane. I don't know what these company heads are smoking. The fact that this same car starts at 44600$ in the US and they are asking exactly double that price from India is ridiculous. And I wonder what will be the price of a C class 10 years down the road. 1.5 Crore! 2 Crore!.
Old 15th April 2022, 14:48   #10

I always wonder if the general income has improved as much as prices of the C- class. I remember my dad looking at the C- class in 2005 and balking at the 25 lakhs it cost then. We bought a bigger Chevy Optra for 8 lakhs. The.mn he upgraded to an Innova Crysta in 2017 for 20 lakhs. We tested the A4 at the time and balked at 42 lakhs on road. Now they say the C is going to be 75 lakhs. That’s three times 2005 costs! And our salary has certainly not gone up 3 times! Insane prices. And still people buy it.
BugginBugsy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 14:48   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
all I can get is an A-Class or a GLA. Now, both of them do feel modern and premium on the inside, but except for some additional tech, there is nothing that would compel me to spend nearly 35-40 lakhs over what I would get for my old C-class. Plus I end up loosing my 1.8 litre Mercedes engine (as opposed to the Renault engine in the newer ones), rear wheel drive, get a smaller boot and a stiffer ride.

I wouldn’t even dare to look beyond the A and GLA because there is absolutely no way I am spending 60-70 lakhs for a C-class or 75-80 for a new E-class. I feel like I have been effectively priced out of upgrading within the Merc range.

What did I decide to do? Well, my current C has only 26k on the odo. I am planning to get new tyres, engine mounts, spark plugs etc. and keep it till it completes its 15 years in Delhi.
I would keep it. The A Class is a nice car but Rs 20Lakh off target

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
I agree with you. It does not have the brand equity or space to cost more than 50 lacs but now the Indian market is rewarding them every time they raise prices. I think you and I are a bit of a minority that thinks theyre not worth the price theyre charging and fooling us with.
I had a budget of Rs 40L - preowned options at this price point were overpriced , so I decided to look at new. All I could get what a 2 Series (nicely built), A Class (nice although a bit glitzy but engine lacked power for my driving). When I like something the money jumps out. A4 was good value until I completed Manson's running in of his A4 with a Big Bang. Understeers big time!

I ended up with a pre-owned bargain - more to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1987 View Post
Current luxury vehicle prices are insane. I don't know what these company heads are smoking. :
I wold rephrase that and ask what the customers are smoking! The whole game is about committing very little to a lot combined with hot potatoes! You commit on finance and the debt is the hot potato and you toss it onto the next person when you trade in. Selling a Rs 30 L car on privately is tough, chances are the dealer will reel you in with an attractive tree in offer and you remain in his food chain.

The Mercedes sales girl was a bit scornful "You believe in paying upfront for a car?"

Last edited by ajmat : 15th April 2022 at 14:53.
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 11:31   #12
BHPian

In 2007/08, my friend's dad bought a white 320D corporate edition for just under 18L. I remember this because it was "only" around a 50% leap over the 12L OTR we paid for the Elantra in '04.

As BugginBugsy pointed out, this is over 3x the price in 15 years!
rkv_2401 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 13:06   #13
BHPian

Absolute bonkers when we see the expected OTR's getting close to 70L for the C. My relative gifted(last month) his daughter E 220D for 72 OTR (HP) which is superb seeing the expected range for the C.

I still remember while I bought my B Class (2014) the C was priced somewhere around 35 OTR (Delhi), and the E at 54 OTR (Delhi).

Hope the inflation eases out, otherwise I might have to shell out a CR to buy only the C in 2024. :/
aamishdhingra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 13:58   #14
BHPian

It is getting ridiculous. I bought my E-350 V6 for On-Road price of exact 50L in 2010! and She still drives like a charm. It really boils my blood looking at these new prices.

Brand image or not, I'm not convinced that the prices have gone more than double. Even I am in manufacturing sector, yes there is a major hike in Raw-Material hike and all, but not to this extent. I think they have found a perfect excuse for a price hike. And it is true for all the Auto manufacturers in India

I recently went to service center, and saw the used car for sale by MB India, they are literally owned by MB Maharashtra and are in mint condition. I got price of 56L for E-250 2020 and 58L -2021 model with 25k on the ODO.

I mean these used cars make much more sense than going for 60-65L Ex-Showroom New C Class. (As per the sales staff that's the price approx.)
sidharthg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 15:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

The pricing is not excessive considering a launch edition C200 was 50L otr in Bangalore in 2014. Using official inflation figures, that's 72 lakhs today. A customer will be getting a much more advanced car and the C is no longer entry level.

The problem is inflation, nominal prices mean nothing when you have double digit inflation. This is the same reason you have more tax payers, the tax slabs are unchanged and pay has caught up.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks