Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2023, 15:45   #406
BHPian

Re: Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
The caption reads "We expect Honda to launch the car with these features and engine options". So, its a clickbait
Exactly! They have played with speculations.

Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate-img_20230517_153939.jpg

I don't think Honda will fit in all the features as with the Creta/Seltos. They will play with the Brand royalty and give limited features. But nothing to beat their long lasting products.
DRPSREDDY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 15:57   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

The 1.5 L Strong Hybrid should be an attractive option for those who are looking for one vehicle for economical every day city commute, good FE, sufficient power for highway runs, some Fun-to-Drive factor and low cost of ownership. With Diesel SUVs on the segment fast drying up as cars with this fuel are increasing regulated and restricted, there are few options left for those who like a comfortable mid size SUV for those long highway runs. The Grand Vitara/HyCross twins and efficient nut under powered and the and turbo versions of Creta, Seltos, Taigun and the like are powerful but big-time gas guzzlers.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 16:07   #408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertprince View Post
I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this before, but I feel like Elevate will be very similar to Honda HRV 2023 China specific version....Check out the HRV Page from Honda China website :
Less so. The Chinese market gets two models. The global HR-V made by one company, and the ZR-V sold as both ZR-V and HR-V by two different companies. The image shown above is the ZR-V based on the Civic platofrm. The one that we will get will be the City/Jazz platform. Hope we get the Civic style interior instead of the ASEAN one.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 17:46   #409
BHPian

Yesterday submitted the interest form available on Honda website for the Elevate. Today received a call from their representative. He informed that it is going to be a Creta/ Hyryder/ Grand Vitara category SUV with list of features shown in this photograph. Price range is 12-20 Lakhs ex-showroom (non-hybrid to Hybrid range). I asked him whether it will be a sub-compact SUV with 4 meters length limitation or longer than 4 meters. He replied it will be like a Creta.

Later, received calls from Frontier Honda showroom, Gurgaon. They are accepting pre-booking for 21k, fully refundable. Ring Road Honda showroom, Iffco Chawk says pre-booked will start once the car is unveiled on 6th June. Delivery is expected to start during festive time (Ganesh Chaturthi or Dipawali?).

I do not know whether Honda follows the same marketing Hype strategy like MSIL and Toyota, M&M or a simple booking and reasonable waiting period, any idea?
RijuC is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 19:41   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The 1.5 L Strong Hybrid should be an attractive option for those who are looking for one vehicle for economical every day city commute, good FE, sufficient power for highway runs, some Fun-to-Drive factor and low cost of ownership. With Diesel SUVs on the segment fast drying up as cars with this fuel are increasing regulated and restricted, there are few options left for those who like a comfortable mid size SUV for those long highway runs. The Grand Vitara/HyCross twins and efficient nut under powered and the and turbo versions of Creta, Seltos, Taigun and the like are powerful but big-time gas guzzlers.
True, even then pricing of Honda hybrid will ensure long break even period. They are not bringing their latest technology to India. They sell Civic RS turbo in Pakistan but they don't bring this here. Such is their commitment to India. If one is not bothered about mileage, there is Taigun.
VRSriram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 22:35   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
The more I see the spy pics posted the more I'm thinking the Elevate is basically the Honda City Hatchback but with extra ground clearance and plastic cladding. Basically as the name implies the Elevate is just an elevated Honda City Hatchback with minor styling changes in the front and back.
Spent 2 hours last night drawing over the spy pic. Yeah i was that bored. Wrong color aside (it looks like a mini Jeep compass ), I took some cues from the City hatchback for the rear overall and the new WRV (for the rear bumper).

I had no access to photoshop so this is the best thing I could come up with using a mouse
Attached Thumbnails
Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate-img20230517wa0021.jpg  

Nithesh_M is offline   (88) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 03:23   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
Expecting 13 to 14+ KMPL in city limits with a mix of bumper to bumper & normal traffic with 100 percent AC ON may happen once in a bluemoon but not regularly or consistently. Getting this kind of FE consistently in city driving even with a 1.5 NA petrol is very very rare.
Yes, you are correct. I own a 2016 BRV 1.5 iVtec manual, covered 65k+ kms, driven by my father/me. In the city we consistently get 12kmpl (doesn't matter who drives, AC on). On highways my dad is sedate and doesn't cross 90km/hr, regularly gets a mileage of 17+kmpl (speeds of 80-90km/hr). When I drive, the figure quickly drops down to 14.5kmpl (speeds of 100-120km/hr). All figures are using tank to tank method with AC on.
For a 4.45m long 7 seater, I'm very satisfied with the numbers. You also make a great point on adjusting one's driving style for a turbo and likewise for a NA engine to obtain decent FE numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
With regard to the crash rating, well historically Honda has not really talked about such safety standards or ratings.
Just wanted to remind you the 4th Gen City and the Jazz are both 4 star rated cars by GNCAP. We can assume a minimum of 4 stars for the Elevate till it gets tested.

A word for the Honda Sceptics & fence sitters.
-My 2016 BRV (bought new) and 2011 City (bought used) till date have zero technical/mechanical issues.
-My 3rd gen City that is used for office work, is nothing short of a legend. So much fun, refined and comfortable even today after doing more than 1 lakh kms.
-I live in a humid region and have no rusting issues.
-The interior plastics so far have aged well, no rattles, nothing has fallen off even after all these years on both cars. (2011 City is showing some discolouration on some knobs, everything works fine though)
-Seats are very comfortable on both cars.
-Both cars have excellent AC units with no complaints.
-Yes the NA 1.5 iVtec is not a stonker, but by no means is a slouch either and is punchy. (Only the 1.5TSI will appease the performance enthusiasts so no contest there)
-My 7 seater handles in a way that it has no right to do so. Body roll is minimal even with 210mm GC.
-Steering is more direct and definitely better than the Koreans and the Suzuki/Toyota.
-The K15C is a dull performer and the interiors, space of the Hyryder/Vitara don't justify the tag. Also Honda does space management better than the rest.
-In fairness I must mention the Hyundai 1.5 NA is a very refined unit, but the iVtec performs better and has better efficiency.
-My BRV has lesser service cost than my friends Elite i20. Also Hyundai's ac have been notorious in the past.

The reason why I've shared my experience is so that new buyers can know what to expect and get a picture of what they won't.

Negatives:
-Honda cannot match the Koreans when it comes to features (useful or not!)
-Honda Spares and service will be about 15% more expensive than Maruti.
-Certain dealerships can be very snobby.
-Only the City retains decent value in the used segment.

So here's the thing about Honda, they do the mundane but important bits extremely well. Less gimmicks, more substance. Also the longevity of Honda's will surprise you. This is why if you want a no nonsense 5 seater SUV, the Elevate should be at the top of your list.
John316_WRC is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 10:09   #413
BHPian

Hello everyone.

I require guidance for my next car purchase. My question is primarily for those who have ownership experience of 1.5L NA engine that is likely to come with Elevate.

I had decided upon Slavia 1.5 MT. But I have kept it on hold to see Elevate first.

Talked to Honda in my city, and they say they will take bookings only after 6th June and will make the car available around September/Oct.

My Question is - if I buy the Honda with 1.5NA, how will it's performance be on Hills? Does it lag there? Is overtaking a pain? Does the car struggle with 4 passengers amd luggage on hills? By hills I mean, proper high altitude areas like Himachal (Narkanda/Shoghi/Theog/Spiti) and Uttarakhand (Yamunotri/Chopta). My driving is on plains as well as hills. Can my 1.5 Honda go to Spiti? My readings on forum makes me think that Diesel is better for high altitude and NA engines may struggle under load on hills. Thus, the question.

I want comfort of automatic gearbox but my time on TeamBHP has convinced me to not buy DSG. This is why I chose MT in Slavia. I want a powerful engine so made up my mind for 1.5. (Choosing Slavia is basically, reducing my comfort to have the engine of my choice, while removing DSG risk)

I liked Toyota Hyryder too, but decided against because engine driveability was an issue. Forum members reported that car is sluggish on hills.

I also liked the City, but it's ground clearance and new styled front bumper convinced me that it will be scraped easily, and will be an expensive repair. Plus Slavia's GC.

So here I am, waiting for Elevate with 2 concerns
1) will NA 1.5 cause me driveability issues in High Hills and,
2) if answer to above is a convincing and resounding 'No', then I am going to discard Slavia 1.5 and book Elevate, which leads to - which gearbox should I go for - MT or CVT. (I am open to compromise comfort, if the CVT is unsuitable for hills) (I am a well versed MT driver for years, so continuing in MT is alright)

Honda car is desirable for me because Skoda ASS is 80 K.M. in Dehardun while Honda is available in my district 6 K.M.

Current Drive - is a Ford Fiesta 2009 1.4TDCi. 1.22L Odo.
The car now struggles on hills and overtaking in hills is a pain as it has to be planned properly especially with passengers. And gears need to worked extensively.

Regards
CoconutCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 11:13   #414
BHPian

@CoconutCar, following are my views:

1. If you have knee problem, opt for Automatic Transmission like Torque converter (considering your rough usage in hills), or high end DCT/ DSG. DSG of Skoda/ VW do not have good reputation in India (prone to quick failure).

Or, else, buy an MT if you have good knees.

CVT won't be good for overtaking a large dimension or loaded Truck, RMC, Ash/ chemical carriage, Mahindra goods carriages, tractors etc. in hills. For any Automatic Transmission, you have to shift to manual or sports mode for better control while doing the overtake.

2. NA petrol is better than Turbo petrol in hills, considering simpler construction, circuits.

3. Except Spiti and Yamunotri, I have driven my 2016 model Petrol Swift to all other places you have mentioned. Unless you go off-the-tarmac or try to drive on black ice; there won't be any trouble. I have seen Honda City at all places of Narkanda, Theog, Shoghi, Chopta etc. You perhaps can't go to Hatu peak in Narkanda in a Honda City due to narrow and broken road and low slung sedans would have problem due to less road visibility. I believe you can go upto last roadhead of Yamunotri, just like Gangotri. (Yamunotri temple is accessible by hiking only, isn't it?).

For Spiti, some road sections are in bad shape due to flowing rain water or nullah. Low slung sedans do struggle there. Any car owner who loves his car won't ever try to cross those broken patches or Nullah in his sedan. The pseudo SUVs and Crossovers with high ground clearance won't have much trouble there unless they go off-the-tarmac or try to drive on hard ice/ black ice on road or try winter Spiti.

If winter Spiti is your dream, buy a 4x4. Probably Honda Elevate won't get any AWD or e-AWD.

[Alternative: If you have no knee problem, can consider Grand Vitara or Hyryder AWD MT. It's a myth that it cannot climb the hills. Nobody does 100 kmph sprint in hills with 5 persons on-board and fully loaded boot. Grand Vitara/ Hyryder has the best suspension and adequate stiffness in its category.]

Last edited by RijuC : 18th May 2023 at 11:38.
RijuC is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 13:50   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMaw View Post
For me it's the Honda name tag is enough. I rejected Creta/Seltos because of safety rating. Hyryder/Grand Vitara due to interior and not enough space to accommodate 3 in rear. Kushak and Taigun looks like glorified hatchback and not trusting VW service. Compass is too costly and Harrier is still not niggle free. Xuv700 has become too costly. Astor is not being delivered and Hector is boat like.
Bingo!!! Couldn't have said it in a better way. Very high hopes with the Honda Elevate. But then knowing Honda, I just hope they don't over-price it out of the segment.
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 14:12   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda Elevate bookings open unofficially for Rs 21,000.

Ahead of its June 6 global debut, a handful of Honda dealers seem to have confirmed this development.

Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate-20230518010237_honda_elevate_render_aci.jpg

Quote:
Honda Elevate to take on the Creta
To come with a 1.5-litre petrol initially
Deliveries likely to commence by August this year
Quote:
The Elevate will be introduced with a single 1.5-litre, naturally aspirated engine, with a hybrid likely to be added to the line-up later. This petrol engine will be shared with the City sedan where it produces 121hp and 145Nm of torque, and come mated to either a manual or CVT automatic.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th May 2023 at 14:14.
volkman10 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 17:53   #417
BHPian

Are we expecting this to be priced higher/lower/ at par with City?
Old 18th May 2023, 18:11   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
Are we expecting this to be priced higher/lower/ at par with City?
It will be impractical to expect new Suv to be priced same/ lower than City, when our market preference has shown higher affinity( and hence pricing ) towards Suv form factor, compared to same engine in sedan. Case in point : Brezza vs Ciaz, or Verna vs Creta. I expect it to have a small premium over City, but it will depend a bit on features list.
Caffeinated is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 18:48   #419
BHPian

Shouldn’t they rather benchmark against the Creta and launch at a competitive price to make a dent ? This assuming the vehicle will be feature rich and safe(r).
Old 18th May 2023, 19:01   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutCar View Post
Hello everyone.

I require guidance for my next car purchase. My question is primarily for those who have ownership experience of 1.5L NA engine that is likely to come with Elevate.
Let me share my experience of driving Honda city CVT in hills (remote areas higher up in Uttarakhand where my ancestral village is).

In terms of capability of 1.5 L NA Honda engine, I never felt it anywho be struggling. It was more than enough to cross steep climbs even in regular mode. Overtaking need to be planned on bends for sure , but if you are a normal driver and not a racing beast, you will anyways plan all overtakes on hill roads and after getting used to of the character of the engine, it is quite easy to manoeuvre. City does have GC issues esp with low approach angle (I drove on broken roads after the landslides) but again, if you go “one wheel at a time” over broken patches, it is ok. Higher GC will surely help.
The Honda 1.5L engine is worth more than it is credited for, esp after the mass availability of small turbo petrols. It’s one hell of competent engine.

PS: I have sold the Honda City now as I had to move out of India and I miss that car.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed