Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2007, 10:35   #16
BHPian

agreed !!! thats what i thought the reason would be 1) bad roads 2) fuel quality and 3) driving sense .... but i do agree with mag to a certain limit where the companies wont themselves want to give a rather FE engine !!! but i think this has changed with the octavia, city and fiesta !!!
Old 13th June 2007, 10:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
I would tend do disagree. Every engine (well almost) comes to India "detuned" to cope up with the bad fuel quality and also to give a better FE by sacrificing on performance. Where else in the world do you get cars giving you 15-18kmpl in city conditions like bangalore? Look at our bikes. Where else in the world will anyone be able to squeeze 70kmpl from a Hero Honda Splendor or 100kmpl from a Boxer CT? We Indian's are known to squeeze even that last drop of fuel from the lines.

We do have fuel efficient cars, its just that the driving conditions that are lacking.
I second that. It is just the driving conditions that affect the fuel economy. My wagon R gives me 15 kmpl in city and on highway with minimal gearchanges at around 80kmph, it gives amazing 22 kmpl.
Old 13th June 2007, 11:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
It is as if he is stitting on a seat of thorns, so impatient. The same person may be the slowest mover when outside.
Other countries where there are better roads, the speeds are also high. Viz 120-140km/hr for highways, 80 on main roads. The point is that cars still give decent FE despite the speed.
Old 13th June 2007, 20:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Take our Indian Wagon R and the Indian NHC to UK, measure the FE they provide in those driving conditions in both short and long runs. (However while performing this make sure you take the cars manufactured in India rather than the corresponding variant thats marketed in UK).
Old 14th June 2007, 04:03   #20
BHPian

Road conditons, i drive in some of the best roads of delhi and dont remember when was the last time i was able to put 5 gear at day time and even drive for 1 kilometer then where due you expect fuel economy coming from if we drive in 2-3 gears all the time moving -stoping -moving at 15 -25 kms per hour. The same car which gives 10 in city gives 15 on highway that means 50 % more distance covered for you fuel
Old 14th June 2007, 08:25   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
I would tend do disagree. Every engine (well almost) comes to India "detuned" to cope up with the bad fuel quality and also to give a better FE by sacrificing on performance. Where else in the world do you get cars giving you 15-18kmpl in city conditions like bangalore? Look at our bikes. Where else in the world will anyone be able to squeeze 70kmpl from a Hero Honda Splendor or 100kmpl from a Boxer CT? We Indian's are known to squeeze even that last drop of fuel from the lines.

We do have fuel efficient cars, its just that the driving conditions that are lacking.
Once, In XBhp, there was this american guy who posted that we are all lying about FE.

He was saying that 125cc displacement bikes there give about 20kmpl (he said mpg or something, but i dont remember that figure) and would be too lucky to get 25. And here we boast of getting 65+ sometimes for the 125cc bikes. Was saying why the forum was tolerating lyers like that.

Had to make him understand that our 125cc makes 11bhp max, while their's has around 25bhp screaming to 11000+ rpm deadline. hehe.

Also, one more thing, in the UK, do they have to use the ac as much as we do? Once when i saw a review on the Swift, noticed that air conditioner was not part of the standard package, and was given as an accessory over the standard price.
Old 14th June 2007, 08:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

I would think we have the most FE cars around - try beating the M800 in FE. But then our infrastructure being what it is coupled with city traffic conditions, leads to lower FE.

As others already mentioned, let us take our cars and benchmark them with the ones outside India on similar conditions and I can bet my last K&N that those cars will be no match for our cars in FE.
Old 14th June 2007, 09:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

karandeep are you talking of 15km/gallon or per litre. coz i dont think cars out there are that fuel efficient!!!!!!!!
Old 14th June 2007, 10:17   #24
BHPian

gemi yup i am talking about 50 mpg which is around 15 kmpl .... the cars here are that fuel efficient and that's what baffles me saying Y no in India ?
Old 14th June 2007, 15:10   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karandeep81 View Post
gemi yup i am talking about 50 mpg which is around 15 kmpl .... the cars here are that fuel efficient and that's what baffles me saying Y no in India ?
So 15 kms to a liter. That is probably some 2-3kmpl more than what people get here in cities. But is that really such a great deal? Out there do you need to drive 20-25kms sniffing someone else's bumper all the way, riding the clutch and the brakes? Do you need to crawl at 5-10kmph speeds for more than half the journey on second gear? I do not think so. Moreover the atmosphere out there is more congenial to the engines. High temperatures here anyhow act as a deterrant to good FE. To top that because of the dusty environs here the air filters are made extra strong. This also adds to detuning the cars a bit and even takes some toll on the FE figure (as engine can not work to its 100% efficiency). Of course bad fuel quality bugbear is always there.

All these automatically raise the FE of the cars there. In fact bring those same cars here and I can tell you most of them won't even manage the half of what they do there.
Old 14th June 2007, 15:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
So 15 kms to a liter. That is probably some 2-3kmpl more than what people get here in cities. But is that really such a great deal? Out there do you need to drive 20-25kms sniffing someone else's bumper all the way, riding the clutch and the brakes? Do you need to crawl at 5-10kmph speeds for more than half the journey on second gear? I do not think so. Moreover the atmosphere out there is more congenial to the engines. High temperatures here anyhow act as a deterrant to good FE. To top that because of the dusty environs here the air filters are made extra strong. This also adds to detuning the cars a bit and even takes some toll on the FE figure (as engine can not work to its 100% efficiency). Of course bad fuel quality bugbear is always there.

All these automatically raise the FE of the cars there. In fact bring those same cars here and I can tell you most of them won't even manage the half of what they do there.
I totally agree with u. This is the best explanation of karandeep's concern...

Abhi

Most Viewed